PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decent article by borges for a change

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about Borges is that before he decided to turn his columns into a personal vendetta against Belichick for choosing Brady over Bledsoe, I actually really liked his columns. He was always a bit full of himself, but the guy knows football. I actually still read his Sunday "On Football" column because when he talks the NFL in general he is pretty insightful.

Now when covering the Pats, he can only come out with one objective column a month or so. Otherwise, he will contradict himself just to bash Belichick. With him, it isn't the coaching, it's the players until the Pats shot the bed and then it is the coaching. When the passing game is off, he points out that if Branch was here that it wouldn't have. When the passing game is on, he will say that Branch would have turned what was a big gain into a TD.

I agree, this was a good piece, I just didn't want to be the first one to say it.

I have been a little disappointed by the coverage of this game; not enough has been made of how well the Ds player here and forced these fumbles - as if it were merely the ineptitude of the offensive players - but Borges gets it right.

Credit where it's due.

Borges is always at his best rhapsodizing on his great love: the beauty and wonder of violence. The closer a football game comes to a boxing match, the better he writes. One genuinely outstanding paragraph from today's piece:

It's a funny thing about football. If the defenses force the offenses to make mistakes by rattling their bones and balls squirt free , it's sloppy. If the offenses drill holes through the defenses, it's execution. Well, yesterday was all about execution. Defensive execution.

I think it's a great point...this is the first 9-turnover game I've ever seen that really wasn't sloppy. It was intense and hard-hitting, with (alas) a high body count. Borges nirvana.

As I read it, kept waiting for the BB bs comments, but for once they did not come, wait until tommorrow.

As I was walking this AM it dawned on me this is why I love Football so much, growing up in the Jim Brown, YA Tittle & Sam Huff era and the monsters of the midway time, yesterday was smash mouth all the way.. there were not many giveaways, but a whole bunch of takeaways. Yesterday was not about finess, it was old fashioned football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back