SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Giants
Thu
Aug 29th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Strong Showing
Another dominating defensive performance by the Patriots as they continue to look strong during their win Thursday night over Carolina.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

December 7th 1941

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Triumph, Dec 7, 2018.

1. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4,365
    Never saw "Midway", but the story of that battle is fascinating. Codebreakers were the unsung heroes of WW2.

Regards,
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31,796
    I didn't realize that they used some of the same footage. Nice trivia factoid. Thanks

3. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,395
    Interesting to hear about your father's in the war, my father was in the air force in Okinowa, used to love listening to his stories about the war, he lost his best friend out there. Were getting to be old bastards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,847
    Know very few Veterans from the Asian theater... most of my friends parents and my father were in Europe...

My dad was on a sea going tug and a tanker during his service, he was at D-Day +1 dragging in "Mulberry Harbors" ( not sure if he was at Arromarches or Utah Beach). He used to speak of concrete caissons but could never comprehend what he was talking about until I saw an exhibit at the WWII Museum in NOLA.. then spent some time in Normandy and saw the remnants. He also was a deep sea diver, but never asked him how he became one.. have a pix of him in deep diving suit, complete with a diving bell. He told me he got Pneumonia in Italy, where he dove, wonder if he got bad gas?? Have seen his discharge papers and there is no record of him going to a diving school, which is interesting. So many questions and miss him dearly, even though booze stole his life, he has been dead for 38 years now.. and can never remember a day when I have not wondered about so many questions about him and his service..

For my dad and I communication was the problem to the answer, and neither one of us had the patience to figure some of this out.. either that or I was too busy with my own life.. post WWII he went on to get a Degree in Mechanical Engineering, and then worked for the Navy in Newport working on the Mark IV torpedo, he was lead engineer for a while.. he wrote a book on the history of the Mark IV and spent a lot of time in DC at meetings.. he used to take the red eye train into DC and could not sleep, so he drank to catch some ZZZ's, unfortunately over time the booze controlled his life.

• Thank You Thank You x 2
  5. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,824
    ^^^ so many came home, went to the neighborhood bar to forget, commiserate, celebrate, and then never left it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. IllegalContact

IllegalContact PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,753
    My dad was busy avoiding both German and soviet conscription during the German eastern front retreat while my in-law landed on Utah beach. My dad was shot at more often.

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +68,939
    Midway was a good movie. I hate the ending.

8. Soliel

Soliel PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,578
    One crazy record. I read George h w Bush war record. It’s like reading Tom Clancy. People are not like that now. I can’t even imagine the howling on tv if we were in a war now with 3k dead per week. CNN would try convincing us that Hitler and Tojo were just misunderstood lmao

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,278
    The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor shook the US out of an isolationist policy that should never be repeated. We need to stay engaged with our neighbors around the globe. It turned out to be a bad decision for the Japanese to underestimate American resolve, courage and ingenuity when it came to creating weapons of war. I hope we don't forget the lessons of WWII as that generation moves on. My hat is off to any of you who served in that war and any who still have their parents or grandparents around from the 1940s - thank them for their service.

10. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +68,939
    Ha.

#41 made Jack Ryan look like a greeter at Wal Mart

Russian-born oilman, a real international man of mystery, a vivid presence in JFK files

....and I do believe#41 was in the CIA

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  11. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,869
    My dad was Army and was on a troop transport that was sunk by a U-boat while on the English channel. He didn't like to talk about it but from what I was told he spent a lot of time in the water before being rescued.

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. Soliel

Ratings:
    +4,578
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mosslost

mosslost Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +5,996
    Also raw American power militarily but even more importantly economic power.

By the time the US Navy smoked the Imperial Navy at the Battle of Leyte Gulf (The largest Naval battle in human history) The US Navy had roughly 1100 vessels (of all sizes, from massive carriers, down to the ruthless deadly PT Boats, 1100!) either surrounding Japanese home land or the general areas where Japanese forces remained, with the Imperial Navy basically down to very few, like a couple dozen battleships, no carriers left. After that battle the skies were filled with American aircraft all over China, the Pacific, and the Japanese homeland. All they had were kamikazes.

1100 US Naval vessels effectively marooning the massive Japanese armies in China who could never come home again and defend their island, if we had to invade.

They were a heinous enemy, but only because of their tactics. People mostly underrate how badly the USA battered and abused them via the team of the US Navy and The US Marines, while basically focusing on Europe first.

Couple setbacks early but the war against the Japanese was a first class rout overall.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +68,939
    Yep. I'm not quite on board with his involvement with JFK but the J Edgar Hoover memo and questioning of #41 on11/23/63 is downright weird.

15. Soliel

Ratings:
    +4,578
    They got the business alright lol.
    The history behind many of our older wars reads almost like a black comedy. I’m genuinely worried that we couldn’t muster that level of warfare again in this age. It’s laughable really

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mosslost

Ratings:
    +5,996
    The thing is our military is so powerful, so professional now, we would not need to mobilize like that ever again.

World War 2 scale is unimaginable now. We had 16 million men under arms with a navy of 1100 ships, tens of thousands of planes, etc... BUT our military today cold have wiped out the combined militarizes of the entire world of WW2 including USA , exactly as it is now and totally conventionally. We would not need any more soldiers than we have today

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Soliel

Ratings:
    +4,578
    I’m not sure what he was up to either with jfk. My opinion on it is that there was some counter espionage going on where several army intel people and cia were everywhere when it hit the fan that day. I hope that’s what it was. Through a lot of weird stuff in history, Bush was mixed into it in odd ways

18. Soliel

Ratings:
    +4,578
    China could invade Taiwan or japan or both. That would be nasty for us and would involve millions of troops if we were serious about winning

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mosslost

Ratings:
    +5,996
  20. mosslost

Ratings:
    +5,996
    They never would. But our military goals in those cases would be simple and attainable, destroy their military, and it would not be a problem.

The key to America winning those kinds of wars, is the destruction of the enemy's ability to make war is the only goal. We would not be "taking" any country over, or occupying any country.

And you say China would "invade" these countries? Our military would have wiped out their ability to invade long before those "invasions" had any chance of being successful.

It is simply not a fair fight for anyone to fight a convention war against the United States in 2018. Might be different in the future, but right now it is just such a one sided venture.

• Agree Agree x 2