PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeAndre Hopkins released (And Ongoing Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that rule still apply to players who didn’t have an agent before hiring one? From what I read, he was agentless before signing with Klutch.
No. Not f he was agentless. I thought he had one.

If he signs with the Chefs or Bills, I'll look forward to the cap experts and say "they can't do that!"

They can do it. It would be extremely hard to do it. Both teams have no cap space. They are going to have to restructure contracts and/or cut players just to free up cap space to sign any unsigned draft picks and have a buffer for the season. They would have to do a lot more to also add Hopkins. But of course if a team wants to do it, they probably can find a way. It could just come back to bite them down the road.

So it's a race for the most money for D-hop which spells Patriots are doom to fail for the free agent...Daggonit......

So it's a race for the most money for D-hop which spells Patriots are doom to fail for the free agent...Daggonit......

Do they win the race for most likely to go to Super Bowl or Best Quarterback???

If he signs with the Chefs or Bills, I'll look forward to the cap experts and say "they can't do that!"
If he signs a cheap deal with them, no one would say that

Not necessarily. The Pats do pay good money for top veterans past their prime. They don't typically pay big bucks for veterans in their prime with a few exceptions (Judon, Gilmore). And the Pats have more money than most the teams mentioned as potential landing spots.

I still doubt they sign him, but wouldn't be shocked if they did.

Not necessarily. The Pats do pay good money for top veterans past their prime. They don't typically pay big bucks for veterans in their prime with a few exceptions (Judon, Gilmore). And the Pats have more money than most the teams mentioned as potential landing spots.

I still doubt they sign him, but wouldn't be shocked if they did.
The Pats are usually competitive without being willing to grossly overpay. That doesn’t mean they won’t pay the most, it just means that they won’t go significantly over what the market Hopkins and his agent are finding out there for him.

Don’t know who the reporter was, but if he’s been around the team for any length of time, then he should’ve known better…

What is that saying? Takes one to know one?

I really think they need to make a run at Hopkins for a few different reasons, and while another poster (cant find the post, perhaps in another thread?) pointed out and i agree with to a degree, is that bringing Hopkins on would bump out a younger prospect who we can develop. While I agree its great to have young talent in the pipeline developing, we also have a 3rd year QB on their rookie deal that we're still trying to determine if he has the "it" factor to be our legit QB1 going forward, and last year was a major hit to his development

Adding an elite WR like Hopkins would finally give us a legitimate outside threat that teams have to respect. Hopkins is the real deal, he's been doing it his entire career and from what it sounds like, his market is going to be about half of what he was making (so around 10-15m is my guess). We paid that kind of money for a BUM like Agholor who was also taking up a spot that we couldnt use to develop a young WR. It should be a no brainer to get Hopkins on a 2 year deal to come help Mac and this offense take it to the next level

You can always stash someone like Boutte on IR with a Foxboro flu and still develop him, and they could also trade someone like Parker if they had to. You need a mix of vets and younglings, you dont want to have all your WRs be young development prospects with a QB like Mac in his 3rd year when we're trying to see if he can be legit or not. Its also not very fair either, all the other teams around the league that are competing in playoffs and for Superbowls have surrounded their young QBs with awesome talent, and now the Patriots have an opprtunity to do the same for what is ultimately a low risk move when you consider where the team is at with cap space and future cap space.

As far as the whole Bill O'Brien/Hopkins fued, I really dont care about that and I just find it hard to believe that grown men can't put something behind them that happened what, 5 years ago? BoB was also the GM, so that is a different hat and different relationship you have with the players in that role.. its possible they didnt see eye to eye on the business side of football, and BoB had to be the head coach and GM, which means you arent going to always be buddy buddy with your players

This league is about production and winning. Im sure if BB thought Hopkins could help this team (and how could he not? we all saw the SFX video of him before the Cardinals game basically getting down on his knees and giving Hopkins a blowie about how good he is), OBrian would be a professional, as well as a man, and make it work. I just dont buy this highschool diva drama **** around the two, im sure its 100% accurate that they had a disagreement and didnt get along back in Houston, and that could have helped lead to his trade to the Cardinals, but that was half a decade ago and they're both professionals that are being paid huge amounts of money to PERFORM, and i have no doubt they would be able to do that under BB's leadership

I'll be disappointed if they dont make a legit move for Hopkins... I'll be so disappointed that I might just go flip my son's little playskool table over in dramatic fashion

@JarOfMayo51 Excellent post brother couldn't agree more getting D-Hop puts us well in the mix especially with our Tough Schedule. D-Hop -Juju and Thornton should be really good. :cool:

his agent is doing a good job of creating hype and a market around him

But that one game in Miami was Magical.
4 catches - 56 yards - 1 TD for AB...

He also stopped running on a route the same way Jakobi Meyers had, the thing that got him benched by Tommy.

Oh yeah, then he submarined our team by getting charged with rape... beyond that he was magical. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back