PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeAndre Hopkins released (And Ongoing Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there evidence that Hopkins hated O'Brien? I see it thrown around a lot but just wondering.

If I'm the Patriots I would go for him. You want to win in the AFC east and get your QB back on track? Best way to do it is a guy like Hopkins. We have the money.

This is from January...

We got internal problems with Judge and Obrien also, but green is green. Come on and sign Hop! We really could use this kid to get us to where we want to go. I really hope Bill works this deal ASAP.

Last edited:
Except he's given every sign of breaking down already. He's played 19 games total over the past two seasons.

That's being disingenuous. the 8 games he missed this season had nothing to do with injury.

Taking PED’s. This tells me he’s noticed a decline a year ago. Hopkins will not be the same player he was but would he still be the best WR on the team? Yep.

Cutting Parker will save a decent chunk to offset Hopkins signing.

Bill only made a move like this one time with Tom in their 20 years together trading for a 30 year old Moss. He then traded for a lessor name but good WR in Cooks in 2017. That's it. He's not going to sign Hopkins with the team he has now for what he's looking for.

Don’t forget Mo Snuze…

Taking PED’s. This tells me he’s noticed a decline a year ago. Hopkins will not be the same player he was but would he still be the best WR on the team? Yep.

Cutting Parker will save a decent chunk to offset Hopkins signing.
Now we're talking this Team ain't going anywhere with D Parker.

The problem again is this team is so starved for wide receivers that anybody that could be considered elite is a giant step up from anyone on the team right now.

Since everyone loves to read into social media and over react. Here is a video Hopkins posted on Instagram and then deleted at some point.

short of Hopkins preferring those other teams to us, there is zero excuse to let him go to a division or conference rival when we have so much salary cap space to work with this year and future years

updated reporting on financials:

“My guess would be that the market bears something around half of what he would’ve made on his now terminated deal in 2023, with some incentives to get him closer to being whole. But at this juncture of the offseason, even getting there could be a challenge.” -- Albert Breer, Sports Illustrated

teams in the mix:

“I think we’re really talking about KC, Buffalo, New England, and Cleveland,” Schefter said.

On Hopkins’ fit with the Patriots specifically, Schefter said, “New England could be interesting, New England has a need there. But what I keep coming back to is that, in Houston, the man that traded DeAndre Hopkins was the then-Texans head coach Bill O’Brien. I don’t think those two individuals particularly cared for one another. So now it’s okay?

“It may be the one that makes the most financial sense, and if it is, then of course everybody can make it work,” Schefter continued. “But I just don’t think we start out thinking that New England is going to be a top option, though in the end it could end up being the place that he lands.”

Hopkins can probably be had for 2 years 25-30 million with another 5-10 million available in NTLBE incentives. Doesn’t sound that risky IMO.

Hopkins has to wait because he changed agents. It's like a 5 day waiting period or something.
Does that rule still apply to players who didn’t have an agent before hiring one? From what I read, he was agentless before signing with Klutch.

“It may be the one that makes the most financial sense, and if it is, then of course everybody can make it work,” Schefter continued. “But I just don’t think we start out thinking that New England is going to be a top option, though in the end it could end up being the place that he lands.”
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Hopkins prefers the money or a contender (and one free of Bill O'Brien). But I like how Schefter correctly points out that money solves a lot of personality conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back