PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeAndre Hopkins released (And Ongoing Rumors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They couldn’t wait another week so he would be a post June 1 designation? That’s a big dead cap hit…
maybe some sort of contract guarantee? Not sure really... Otc blanked the old contract info already

Last edited:
Do we know who this guy is. Probably the most famous person on football forums.
That’s Larry Fitzgerald on the day he was traded here to New England.

That’s Larry Fitzgerald on the day he was traded here to New England.
Was it really Larry or some other random dude ??

did you really just suggest they cut their 28 year old all-pro defensive leader & team captain for a 31 year old receiver? and they get no relief from a restructure, as there are no more years to split the bonus monies out over...
HAHAHAAHA

Thats the whole point of delaying the cap hit in 2023.
cut or extend him to the tune of 25 to 30 m a year... im sure they can work him an equitable extension with their $650,000 in cap space...
Youre stuck on that fake number.

Tell us, if KC gives Jones 10 million in salary for 2024 does it count now? NO How about a new contract with the numbers you quote? NO to that too.
as for cutting him - im all for that... would rather have a shot at chris jones than deandre hopkins
I really doubt that KC plans to pay Jones almost 20 million in salary this season.

717 yards last year in just 9 games. Catch rate percentage was 67....very good.

e38b5149627c34e50c9df1da8e41ec1c.png

He played one game with mcsorley where he had 1 reception on 10 targets. His catch rate was actually 73.2% with murray & mccoy.

Edelman won SB MVP at 33, Kelce was still elite at 33, Brown could still play at 32-33 before he retired mid game. I think Julio breaking down at 31 has people shying away from Hopkins but that’s early for a WR to decline. His game isn’t about speed either. I think he has two good years left somewhere.

Put the Bills over the top? Haha. I like your posts from time to time, but posts like this display a lack of football knowledge.
Coming from you Im flattered.

Only the ignorant dont see the lack of receiving help on the Bills. Beyond Diggs its pitiful. Gabriel Davis is catching only 52% of his passes. Dawson Knox is OK.

Diggs has had 0 TDs in every Bills post season loss. Through those 3 post season losses Diggs has 119 total receiving yards. You cant rely on Diggs all regular season to come up big only to have him get shut down in the post season and wonder why you lost.
The Bills are past their window, they missed it, there is no "over the top" for the Bills. If you really understood anything about TB12 you would understand the Bills missed their opportunity,
BWAAAAHHHHH

TB12? Too funny.
and the JETE trading for Rodgers puts them back in perpetual purgatory for another 10 years.
If anyone is in purgatory its the Mac Jones pole smokers.

HAHAHAAHA

Thats the whole point of delaying the cap hit in 2023.

Youre stuck on that fake number.

Tell us, if KC gives Jones 10 million in salary for 2024 does it count now? NO How about a new contract with the numbers you quote? NO to that too.

I really doubt that KC plans to pay Jones almost 20 million in salary this season.
Try closer to 30 per year for Jones, over 40m for mahomes... The snowball keeps building... They are all ready cap heavy with 4 guys... Which is the whole point...

And the 650k isnt a made up number... It's where they currently stand... Where the need to start clearing up space from...

So unless you think Hopkins will want basically his last contract to be just a one year deal there's an issue brewing in how the chiefs have managed their cap

They wouldn't pay reek that money, why would they pay Hopkins?

Last edited:

There still has to be an extent of them being able to pay him. Maybe he will take a 1 year deal. But how cheap is he willing to go? Kinda doubt anything much less than 10 mill.

There still has to be an extent of them being able to pay him. Maybe he will take a 1 year deal. But how cheap is he willing to go? Kinda doubt anything much less than 10 mill.
He's a 31 year old receiver who started breaking down ... So much so he's using peds (which I don't care about) ... But it speaks volumes... He's only got a few years left, at most unless he gets Alex Guerrero to share Brady's magic anti-aging elixir... Or moves in with Ashley manning

The problem is if his “1 year prove it deal” doesn’t work out - he gets hurt, Mahomes gets hurt, etc - he’s back where he is now again but another year older at 32.

I have to imagine if a team is willing to pay him a solid salary for ~3 years he will take that.

Try closer to 30 per year for Jones, over 40m for mahomes... The snowball keeps building... They are all ready cap heavy with 4 guys... Which is the whole point...

Again, Jones salary can be converted to Signing Bonus to make 2023 cap room.

That is the reason why teams insert exorbitante salary numbers at the end of contracts.
And the 650k isnt a made up number... It's where they currently stand... Where the need to start clearing up space from...
Its a fake number that can be changed with the swipe of a pen.
So unless you think Hopkins will want basically his last contract to be just a one year deal there's an issue brewing in how the chiefs have managed their cap
No there is not.

Hopkins wants to play with a good QB. Prove himself. If he signs in KC there will be an agreement that more years are on the table assuming this season works out.
They wouldn't pay reek that money, why would they pay Hopkins?
KC needs a playmaker besides Kelce to keep the #1 NFL offense working.

The ball is in Mahomes court.

He played one game with mcsorley where he had 1 reception on 10 targets. His catch rate was actually 73.2% with murray & mccoy.

Edelman won SB MVP at 33, Kelce was still elite at 33, Brown could still play at 32-33 before he retired mid game. I think Julio breaking down at 31 has people shying away from Hopkins but that’s early for a WR to decline. His game isn’t about speed either. I think he has two good years left somewhere.
Exactly. Also, most forget Julio was injured for the majority of his career. He was certainly dominant, but always knicked up; those injuries finally caught up to him.

Exactly. Also, most forget Julio was injured for the majority of his career. He was certainly dominant, but always knicked up; those injuries finally caught up to him.
I do admit Julio is the biggest reason I'm wary of Hopkins. A few people here wanted to give up "whatever it takes" to bring Julio aboard.

Also, once your body starts breaking down with age, I'm not sure it matters how resistant to injury you were as a young pup.

That said, I'm not against getting him.

Patriots fans: complain for years about our wide outs being trash.

Also Patriots fans: we should pass on a starting caliber receiver.

I don’t believe hes’s washed, his per game numbers last season were great. Even if he’s on the decline he would still be one of the Pats best receivers. Not sure why fans suddenly get so picky when discussing potential free agents/trades that would improve the team.

Again, Jones salary can be converted to Signing Bonus to make 2023 cap room.
And they still have to have the cash on hand for every guarantee in his deal.
That is the reason why teams insert exorbitante salary numbers at the end of contracts.
A better point would be void years.
Its a fake number that can be changed with the swipe of a pen.
Yes it can change. But the larger the dollar figure you need to change, the more difficult it gets. See the saints and rams as examples of the road kc is walking down.
No there is not.
Yes there is due to the guarantees.
Hopkins wants to play with a good QB. Prove himself. If he signs in KC there will be an agreement that more years are on the table assuming this season works out.
Hopkins wants money & years added to his current contract, which is north of 20m aav.
KC needs a playmaker besides Kelce to keep the #1 NFL offense working.
Every team needs a playmaker.
The ball is in Mahomes court.
He's redone his deal every year. Which is why next year his cap hit is north of 40 million.

I do admit Julio is the biggest reason I'm wary of Hopkins. A few people here wanted to give up "whatever it takes" to bring Julio aboard.

Also, once your body starts breaking down with age, I'm not sure it matters how resistant to injury you were as a young pup.

That said, I'm not against getting him.

Julio was injury prone. Hopkins is not.

I agree with Bedard. This will come down to money. If the Patriots are the highest bidder the team and BOB will mean nothing. In fact, Hopkins was very successful with BOB.

So what gets him?

I see numbers floated like 2/38, but how much salary would a team have absorbed if they traded a fifth for him? Is it because now you can add void years when if traded you could not?

Instant Superbowl contender! Like a Moss pickup. Pull the trigger Kraft. MAKE THE PATRIOTS GREAT AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots