2020 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
This is how I’m lined up for 2021:
  • 25% large cap growth and digital media: FBRGX and PBS (also serves as cash position)
  • 25% alternative energy: TAN, ICLN, PBW
  • 10% gold: IAU (also serves as a cash position)
  • 10% telemedicine: EDOC
  • 10% 5/6G backbone: FIVG
  • 10% airlines: JETS (50% bump expected in next 12 months, then I’m out)
  • 10% cannabis: THCX
I’m old but don’t plan on needing this money for 8 years. I’m generally healthy and having fun with work.

Thoughts?

I wonder if FBGRX can sustain another year.......their top 10 holdings comprise 50% of their portfolio and they're pretty much all riding highs

your 'cash positions' aren't close to being cash positions.......nothing wrong with 20-25% actual cash

telemedicine is good, I would consider a broader cutting edge medicine approach including something in addition to service....something research related

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I wonder if FBGRX can sustain another year.......their top 10 holdings comprise 50% of their portfolio and they're pretty much all riding highs

your 'cash positions' aren't close to being cash positions.......nothing wrong with 20-25% actual cash

telemedicine is good, I would consider a broader cutting edge medicine approach including something in addition to service....something research related

Agree about those top 10. Will be worthwhile tracking what the fund managers do with that distribution, and if they try to anticipate that slide early.

I call them "cash" because it is what I liquify when I want to jump on a particular stock for a short ride. It works well with the gold because it trades fairly consistently, like your APHRA pattern. We (wife and I) have a bunch of cash in a regular Fidelity account. The balance above is just my retirement accounts.

Do you have recommendation/insight into the research side? I know individual biotech companies but haven't kept up and have no insight into the ETF's out there.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Agree about those top 10. Will be worthwhile tracking what the fund managers do with that distribution, and if they try to anticipate that slide early.

I call them "cash" because it is what I liquify when I want to jump on a particular stock for a short ride. It works well with the gold because it trades fairly consistently, like your APHRA pattern. We (wife and I) have a bunch of cash in a regular Fidelity account. The balance above is just my retirement accounts.

Do you have recommendation/insight into the research side? I know individual biotech companies but haven't kept up and have no insight into the ETF's out there.

I bought CRSP at 97 on 11/10.....so that worked out well, hard to see where it can go after doubling in 2 months, but genomics is still infantile and they get unlimited exposure at research universities......I like the idea of how research goes in this sector rather than pharma where things change faster than you can say 'what happened' ..... it's my first foray into medical since Biogen/IDEC 20 years ago

I've only been on this site a short while and just noticed this trading thread. I've been trading since 1998 when I got sucked in and experienced the great times of the tech bubble. Also went through the housing bubble and now partipating in the free money to institutions bubble. Went through some great times and some sucky times.

In recent years, I've mostly day traded futures and with the exception of a small longer term position in 3X Small Cap ETF, I'm in cash by the COB every trading day. BTW, small cap futures and Small Cap ETF's have been on a tear on the long side especially since early November. I don't know when this run will end but it's getting long on the tooth. I'll let price tell me what to do. It's been a great week for the first week of the year and we'll see what happens Monday. :)

KontradictioN

Probably the nicest guy on the forum
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
I've only been on this site a short while and just noticed this trading thread. I've been trading since 1998 when I got sucked in and experienced the great times of the tech bubble. Also went through the housing bubble and now partipating in the free money to institutions bubble. Went through some great times and some sucky times.

In recent years, I've mostly day traded futures and with the exception of a small longer term position in 3X Small Cap ETF, I'm in cash by the COB every trading day. BTW, small cap futures and Small Cap ETF's have been on a tear on the long side especially since early November. I don't know when this run will end but it's getting long on the tooth. I'll let price tell me what to do. It's been a great week for the first week of the year and we'll see what happens Monday. :)
Which ETF? TQQQ?

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
I bought CRSP at 97 on 11/10.....so that worked out well, hard to see where it can go after doubling in 2 months, but genomics is still infantile and they get unlimited exposure at research universities......I like the idea of how research goes in this sector rather than pharma where things change faster than you can say 'what happened' ..... it's my first foray into medical since Biogen/IDEC 20 years ago
While their net income was down in their last quarterly report, they have over $1B cash on hand. So they’re not bleeding money at the moment and have a good amount of capital to finance future R&D. I’m watching them for a dip and I may jump in.

Which ETF? TQQQ?
That's the 3X Nasdaq 100 ETF. That's also a mover but a lot more volatile. Right now I'm trading the Small Cap Pro Shares Ultra Russell 2000 3X ETF URTY. It has gone almost straight up since its close of $47.45 on 11/5/20 while closing at $92.78 today. This thing has had a fantastic run and I sold some of my position today. At some point it might be worthwhile to flip to the Reverse Short 3X SRTY but not until there is evidence of weakness. I'm strickly a momentum trader and try to ride momo until there are signs of a reversal.

As far as day trading goes, I'm currently trading the small cap Micro Future /M2K. I use the Micro because it's only $5.00 per point as opposed to to the E-mini small cap /RTY at $50 per point which I don't have the stomach to trade anymore. LOL I also use a much faster chart to day trade.

I also try to stick with one sector at a time so I only have to focus on one thing.

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
That's the 3X Nasdaq 100 ETF. That's also a mover but a lot more volatile. Right now I'm trading the Small Cap Pro Shares Ultra Russell 2000 3X ETF URTY. It has gone almost straight up since its close of $47.45 on 11/5/20 while closing at $92.78 today. This thing has had a fantastic run and I sold some of my position today. At some point it might be worthwhile to flip to the Reverse Short 3X SRTY but not until there is evidence of weakness. I'm strickly a momentum trader and try to ride momo until there are signs of a reversal.

As far as day trading goes, I'm currently trading the small cap Micro Future /M2K. I use the Micro because it's only $5.00 per point as opposed to to the E-mini small cap /RTY at $50 per point which I don't have the stomach to trade anymore. LOL I also use a much faster chart to day trade.

I also try to stick with one sector at a time so I only have to focus on one thing.
Nicely done. Did get a put option in on Smith and Wesson on Wednesday when it went up 20% midday? That was a no-brainer decision that I wish I had thought of.

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
@betterthanthealternative when I get a little while to pour over everything, I’ll try to get you a rough estimate on the profitability for PM in the weed game. The challenge will be finding the break even point since I have to know their fixed and variable costs and an estimate of their sale price. Not as easy as you think. From there, I should be able to give a rough ballpark (and likely wrong) estimate on profitability.

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
@betterthanthealternative when I get a little while to pour over everything, I’ll try to get you a rough estimate on the profitability for PM in the weed game. The challenge will be finding the break even point since I have to know their fixed and variable costs and an estimate of their sale price. Not as easy as you think. From there, I should be able to give a rough ballpark (and likely wrong) estimate on profitability.

Cool. Don't do it just for me, but it might be a good exercise for all of us.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
I agree 100% ........ they could cut them in half and I'd still make out like a bandit.......or just go condo with my units and call it a day.

or I can just distribute them to my kids and let them deal with 'the problem'
I fully support such a law and higher taxes too.

As you pointed out Mass tax is too low.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Philip Morris. They’re who I’m thinking will be the big player.

out of Altria, Philip Morris, and British Tobacco, Altria puts the most effort into diversifying beyond tobacco though BTI did buy RAI, meaning they’re have cheap booze (dekuyper) in their portfolio

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
out of Altria, Philip Morris, and British Tobacco, Altria puts the most effort into diversifying beyond tobacco though BTI did buy RAI, meaning they’re have cheap booze (dekuyper) in their portfolio
Cronos and Altria did strike a deal, so I expect them the be a big player as well. Their net income and margins were all down, and they have less cash to play with than PM, though. Either way, you’ll have an easy time getting back in. The stock prices haven’t fluctuated in any major way for both firms in some time.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Cronos and Altria did strike a deal, so I expect them the be a big player as well. Their net income and margins were all down, and they have less cash to play with than PM, though. Either way, you’ll have an easy time getting back in. The stock prices haven’t fluctuated in any major way for both firms in some time.

8% dividend is a good kicker for MO