Next Up: vs 49ers
Pick Results: SF: 35.1% at NE: 64.9%
Sun
Oct 25th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
the telemedicine thing has some hurdles not the least of which is patient privacy and the data produced........which will never fly because of how those currently in power want to handle health.........if you have single-payer, then it would be a breeze.......until those currently in power return to power and decide to blow things up.

my Apple watch will take an ekg, send it to my phone where it is turned into a pdf I can send to my doc....that can be streamlined a bit more along with the additional vitals newer watches can now do......common sense would make this happen in a flash, but other motives can cause problems

Finding the companies that have the most promise wrt overcoming those hurdles becomes the investment focus I suppose.

Just watching my wife's interaction this week with her physician about a test result...entire thing was done virtually, and just last year, it would have required two in person visits. One problem is, the doc didn't get paid for her end of the transactions, because she simply provided insight and advice through messaging. So we need to rework the compensation system if the docs are going to embrace this.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Finding the companies that have the most promise wrt overcoming those hurdles becomes the investment focus I suppose.

Just watching my wife's interaction this week with her physician about a test result...entire thing was done virtually, and just last year, it would have required two in person visits. One problem is, the doc didn't get paid for her end of the transactions, because she simply provided insight and advice through messaging. So we need to rework the compensation system if the docs are going to embrace this.

I had a virtual physical in June.......didn't get my vitals but still got my copay........there are holes in the process, but a bunch can get done without risking data.......some of it relies on the patient being comfortable with the risk of their data being out there.....I have no such issue, but I could see people with certain conditions not wanting the risk.......there's an opportunity, but I think that the approaches will be fragmented as some organizations will do it 'themselves' (proprietary interface done by 3rd party) while smaller outfits will be subjected to some obviously 'canned' approach........Apple appears to have a leg up on providing real time data, but I don't know anything about any of the other fit watch outfits

vuudu

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
I can't shake this feeling of a deep red day coming this week. The market does not make sense. This is insane.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I can't shake this feeling of a deep red day coming this week. The market does not make sense. This is insane.

stick to fundamentals.........my 3 biggest holdings:

AMZN
AAPL
FBGRX ... whose 2 biggest holding are AAPL and AMZN

good day today......more for me to lose later....but for now, it's prime day and the new iPhone

I think we will continue to be in this daze for a few more weeks........until the election and the civil war after

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
another angle to ponder

The next big market mover, according to Wall St.

To prepare for the 2021 vaccine-fueled economic recovery trade, Morgan Stanley recommends 40 stocks it views as currently ‘mis-priced.’ The list is a who’s who of companies that have been battered this year by plunging demand from COVID-19. Some well-known names on the list that caught Yahoo Finance’s attention include Coca-Cola, Bloomin’ Brands, Booking Holdings, Capri Holdings, Darden Restaurants, Delta Airlines, ExxonMobil, General Motors, Hilton, JetBlue, Marriott, and Urban Outfitters.

Morgan Stanley is joined by rival Goldman Sachs in suggesting investors be ready soon for favorable vaccine news in coming weeks.

but then again,

These Five Stocks Are In Buy Zones; Dow Giant Jumps Late

Johnson & Johnson also reports early Tuesday, but attention likely will be on J&J's coronavirus vaccine. J&J has halted its late-stage vaccine trial due to an unexplained illness in a participant. Last month AstraZeneca (AZN) halted its late-stage Covid-19 vaccine trial on an adverse reaction by a participant.

Last edited:

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I like the telemedicine angle. Keep us informed of any updates.

I got in to AMWL, before there were even guidance out. Since then the guidance is all over the map, most of it higher than I paid. Price has been all over the map, as is the norm for a new stock. Big gamble, but I see far more upside than down, given the likelihood of big pharma, or Google or APPL buying up the space in a year or so.

betterthanthealternative

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Wish I got more CRSP

Putting this out for general conversation.

So there seem to be three primary factors: COVID's pathway, and in response, federal economic rescue packaging, and vaccine probabilities.

There are a lot of useful predictive sites that have shown accuracy, such as:

What factors will drive investment performance, then?
  • On the disease itself:
    • Infection rate. Yesterday, I heard "second wave of COVID" on the news, for the first time in reference to what's happening now.​
    • What actually happens with the US death rate. The consensus seems to be just over 300K deaths by Feb 1, with a low of 265 and a high of just over 400. The higher forecasts seem to be factoring in "social distancing fatigue" and the lower ones aren't.​
    • What evolves in terms of the "long haulers" - those with serious symptoms that last for months and for whom there is no effective treatment yet. The frequency seems to be hovering at just under 10% of infections, and the number will reach over 1M by Feb 1. That's a factor on productivity, health care costs, and consumer spending, as these are mostly people who were healthy and working.​
  • On government stimulus: Yes/No, and if yes,
    • how much​
    • for what targets​
    • when?​
  • On the vaccine:
    • How many versions can be approved, by when, and what will the manufacture and distribution look like?​
    • What will the health symptoms be of being vaccinated?​
    • What impact will the anti-vaccers have? The general fear of being early and targeted by people of color?​
    • When will the working population (not the vulnerable) get access to it on a large scale? Most likely forecast for that is March/April. Some of the pessimistic ones say November.​

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Putting this out for general conversation.

So there seem to be three primary factors: COVID's pathway, and in response, federal economic rescue packaging, and vaccine probabilities.

There are a lot of useful predictive sites that have shown accuracy, such as:

What factors will drive investment performance, then?
  • On the disease itself:
    • Infection rate. Yesterday, I heard "second wave of COVID" on the news, for the first time in reference to what's happening now.​
    • What actually happens with the US death rate. The consensus seems to be just over 300K deaths by Feb 1, with a low of 265 and a high of just over 400. The higher forecasts seem to be factoring in "social distancing fatigue" and the lower ones aren't.​
    • What evolves in terms of the "long haulers" - those with serious symptoms that last for months and for whom there is no effective treatment yet. The frequency seems to be hovering at just under 10% of infections, and the number will reach over 1M by Feb 1. That's a factor on productivity, health care costs, and consumer spending, as these are mostly people who were healthy and working.​
  • On government stimulus: Yes/No, and if yes,
    • how much​
    • for what targets​
    • when?​
  • On the vaccine:
    • How many versions can be approved, by when, and what will the manufacture and distribution look like?​
    • What will the health symptoms be of being vaccinated?​
    • What impact will the anti-vaccers have? The general fear of being early and targeted by people of color?​
    • When will the working population (not the vulnerable) get access to it on a large scale? Most likely forecast for that is March/April. Some of the pessimistic ones say November.​

all valid......though somewhere in there the continued development of therapy for those who contract is also important. ventilators have been dropped in the name of more proactive therapies at least when it comes to respiration. my wife has a double blood mutation which creates the possibility that the first symptom she gets is blood clotting.......she could be dead and hit the floor before she knew what she has.....she's awaiting results of aspirin allergy tests as she may start taking an aspirin a day.

we are not close to a vaccine.....next november sounds more likely to me.

it's not just about death........right now, the cost of the average covid hospitalization is $40-45K.......the hardest hit demographic is also the one who is least likely to afford even the copays required.......

vuudu

2019 Weekly Picks Winner
There will be blood in the waters. This shack is lock and loaded. Let the panic begin.... on the count to 3, everybody panic.:D:rofl:

KontradictioN

Probably the nicest guy on the forum
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
There will be blood in the waters. This shack is lock and loaded. Let the panic begin.... on the count to 3, everybody panic.:D:rofl:
I’m surprised Google rebounded. I thought for sure they were going to tank, and it looked like they were a few hours ago.

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
This is not a time to buy long, this is a time to short.
For the most part, I agree. But TSLA might be the exception. They’re a bit more volatile now than they were in, say, March/April, but I’ve held it and I plan to hold it long-term. I invest more in people than I do in companies, per se. I think Musk is this generation’s Steve Jobs when it comes to innovation. The sheer amount of money they have reinvested back into their R&D will pay massive dividends, IMO.

Google is going to be interesting to watch. They weathered the firestorm over the Anti-Trust suit that was announced by the DOJ today. My guess is because the reports say that the DOJ does not want to break them up, but will seek to have Google sell off parts of its organization and restructure. I’m bearish on Big Tech as a whole right now. That will be especially so in the event of a Biden win and an expected appointment of Warren as Treasury Secretary in his cabinet. FWIW, her stance on breaking up Big Tech is one of the few things I agree with her on. When it comes to Amazon, I’m not so sure.

vuudu

2019 Weekly Picks Winner
For the most part, I agree. But TSLA might be the exception. They’re a bit more volatile now than they were in, say, March/April, but I’ve held it and I plan to hold it long-term. I invest more in people than I do in companies, per se. I think Musk is this generation’s Steve Jobs when it comes to innovation. The sheer amount of money they have reinvested back into their R&D will pay massive dividends, IMO.

Google is going to be interesting to watch. They weathered the firestorm over the Anti-Trust suit that was announced by the DOJ today. My guess is because the reports say that the DOJ does not want to break them up, but will seek to have Google sell off parts of its organization and restructure. I’m bearish on Big Tech as a whole right now. That will be especially so in the event of a Biden win and an expected appointment of Warren as Treasury Secretary in his cabinet. FWIW, her stance on breaking up Big Tech is one of the few things I agree with her on. When it comes to Amazon, I’m not so sure.
Google made the DOJ look foolish today.
Google responded to the Department of Justice's bombshell antitrust lawsuit on Tuesday with a condescending memo showing people how 'trivially easy' it is to change their browsers and claiming Americans choose to use their platform instead of being forced to.

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
Google made the DOJ look foolish today.
While that’s true, they’ve paid billions of dollars to companies like Apple and Samsung to make Google the default browser. Roughly half of their searches come from smart phone users, which has earned them billions of dollars in advertising revenues. Ask Siri something and where does she go? Google. Go to their search engine and search for restaurants in the area. Google gives you their results on top and pushes pages like Yelp further down. So yeah, while Americans can simply switch the browser, you have to remember that most Americans are idiots and/or technologically inept. The DOJ has a good argument that these practices are anti-competitive. We will see how they fare. I’m less interested in what happens to Google as I am the implications this battle will have on Big Tech as a whole.

vuudu

2019 Weekly Picks Winner
While that’s true, they’ve paid billions of dollars to companies like Apple and Samsung to make Google the default browser. Roughly half of their searches come from smart phone users, which has earned them billions of dollars in advertising revenues. Ask Siri something and where does she go? Google. Go to their search engine and search for restaurants in the area. Google gives you their results on top and pushes pages like Yelp further down. So yeah, while Americans can simply switch the browser, you have to remember that most Americans are idiots and/or technologically inept. The DOJ has a good argument that these practices are anti-competitive. We will see how they fare. I’m less interested in what happens to Google as I am the implications this battle will have on Big Tech as a whole.
I understand you, and I get antitrust laws and what they are intended to prevent. It feels so unamerican. America is all about domination, strength, capitalization. If I read what you are saying correctly, you think DOJ should protect us because we/most of us are idiots or technologically inept and that google is capitalizing on this to monopolize the online search engine business?
This just sounds foreign to me. That is what our economy drives people to do. Dominate a niche. Blow your competition away. That is why I buy stocks in a company because their competitors can't match what do they.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
This is not a time to buy long, this is a time to short.

you don't know how many times I've heard people say 'time to short AMZN and AAPL' (my 2 biggest holdings) ....... knock yourself out

as for TSLA.......numbers come out after tomorrow's close.......if you haven't noticed, the pandemic has done nothing to the demographic that buys tesla products...... between that and @Jlaff constantly harping about it, I took it seriously and have made some serious $ playing it.