pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

December 20, 2005
Damon to Yankees
By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff

Johnny Damon’s days in Boston are over.

The free-agent center fielder agreed to a four-year, $52 million contract with the rival Yankees late Tuesday night. The agreement is contingent on Damon passing a physical.

Damon conformed the deal in an interview on Boston television station CBS-4 on Tuesday night.

"New York came after me aggressively and that's what sealed the deal," he said. "I'm headed to New York ... I'm very excited ... It's with mixed emotions ... Time for me to look forward."

Damon fills a double void for the Yankees, giving them a speedy center fielder who can cover ground and a leadoff hitter to top a lineup that includes Derek Jeter, Gary Sheffield, AL MVP Alex Rodriguez, Hideki Matsui and Jason Giambi.

Bernie Williams' defense declined significantly over the past four seasons. And while Damon's arm is not much better, he does cover a lot of ground, which is important in Yankee Stadium.

Agent Scott Boras had been seeking a seven-year contract for Damon. The offer Damon accepted was essentially the same as the deal Matsui agreed to with the Yankees last month.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

Just saw that, too.

Whatever. I'm not even sure what to think. I'm definitely down on baseball at the moment.

Bella*chick said:
Just saw that, too.

Whatever. I'm not even sure what to think. I'm definitely down on baseball at the moment.

Same over here.

As a Yankee fan, I'm not real ecstatic over this deal. I think that it will be good for 1 or 2 years, but those last two years are going to be tough to deal with if Damon decline like Bernie did in the last couple of years of his contract. Hopefully this deal is frontloaded, which I doubt, but worst case scenario one of the guys the yanks drafted this year will be able to take over if Damon's range declines too quickly.

That sucks for the Red Sox. I hope they don't do something STUPID and get Bernie Williams.

Now, the Sox have holes at SS, 1B and CF. Not a good thing.

To the friggin Yankees?!?! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AGAIN...WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pissed.

I cant say im not pissed hes going to play for the yankees, but 4 yrs at 52 MILLION DOLLARS!....Boston already made that mistake by overpaying for Renteria, Damon isnt worth that kind of cash over 4 yrs. I will miss Johnny but in the long run the Sox are better off not paying him that kind of cash...I just wish Damon would have made this decision sooner so the Sox could have attempted to Sign Kenny Lofton to a 1 yr deal but Lofton signed earlier today with LA

Guess he was lying when he said he'd never go to NY. Those years at that money, so long. Can't blame him, and I don't feel bad about it. Though I certainly can't wish him luck.

How much are the Yankees taxed next year, anyways? That's gotta be more like $15 mil a year.

i wouldnt have minded if he went somewhere else but it just makes me sick to see him go to the stinkees it even bothered me to see embre and bellhorn put that uniform on .i hope he and his buddie myers get booed to no end when they come to fenway .now if you will excuse me im going to throw up.

The Yankees are going to need to petition for a waiver to position a permanent cut off man between CF and SS. And God forbid he have his patented half season slump out of the gate this season. George isn't gonna give him a pass because he helped win a WS once for his arch enemy. I doubt Michelle will be able to land a TV job in the competitive Big Apple even as the bearer of Johnny's other set of twins. Although now he can afford to buy her an even bigger pair.

So lets assess the Sox off season:

Golden Boy GM walks away over FO head games
Added a starter with a questionable arm
Took on a $9M 3rd baseman to get him
Traded their top positional prospect (a SS) to get him
Traded the Gold Glove SS they had to have last year and
Agreed to pay $11M of his salary in exchange for
A ml 3rd base prospect
Traded the best backup catcher in baseball for
A 2nd baseman who was injured last season

They still have no GM (just two of the minions job-sharing GM by committee)
but they are leaving a light in the window for their lost GM :rolleyes:

They have no 1B, no SS, no CF, an unhappy and now homeless $19M LF, a suddenly injury prone RF, a 39 year old Ace with a limp, a hard drinkin' #2 who wants to be traded, a new #2-3 with arm issues, a #3-4 who can't pitch in the second half, a #5 knuckleballer who has no catcher, a #6 who can either start, record another CD or pitch out of the pen, and a divorced $7M closer who is apparently toast. Thank God they still have a DH in case anybody gets on base.

Well, at least we'll always have 2004 Sox fans - and John, Tom, Larry and the Dentist. It's Wait Til Next Year deja vu all over again. Merry Christmas.

Over on SOSH they are apparently torn between "Nomarizing" Damon and defending his right to take the $$$$. I loved this exchange between posters with opposing views -

QUOTE:

"Finally, it always amazes me when people gripe about athletes going for the most money. These guys have a limited time to make the bulk of their lifetime earnings, and in Damon's case, his window literally is likely the next four years. Why shouldn't he maximize it? Why should he go to the team that values his services less than others do?"

Response (from an apparently enlightened SOSHer):

"Tom Brady says hi."

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
Traded the Gold Glove SS they had to have last year
I was going to take this post seriously, and respond in turn, but it's obvious this has to be a joke. I mean, no one could actually mention Edgar's Gold Glove in this context without being facetious.

Johnny Damon is not worth 52M for 4 years, he will caught up the NY limelight and fade into obscurity in the third and 4th years. Too many egos on that team, and might win the WS again. Reminds me of the Bumper sticker, "George Steinbrenner Ruined Baseball."

Damon is a great leadoff hitter, and will thrive with that short porch in right. I don't know about you, but if you are a starting pitcher and you know that unless you get Damon, Jeter, and Gayrod (Which will cost you at a minimum twenty pitches) in order, you are going to be facing Sheffield with men on base. We can only hope that Johnny runs into a wall and Sheff's dealer gets locked up. I predict that no one throws a complete games against the Yankees this year. Imagine what they are going to do to Pedro, he will be at 100 pitches in the thrid inning.

On the other hand, centerfield at Yankee stadium is HUGE, and Damon literally throws like a girl, anything in front of him will be a double, and anything over his head is at least a triple.

I liked it better wehn no one was in charge on the Sox, they made better moves.But seriously 4 years 52 million, that is waaaaay more than any of us ever thought he would get.

Good for you Johnny, take the cash, cut your hair, sell your soul, ooops that last one slipped out.

FreeTedWilliams said:
Good for you Johnny, take the cash, cut your hair, sell your soul, ooops that last one slipped out.
"I was shocked. He signed to play with the Devil."

That was Damon's reaction to A-rod going to the Yankees. :snob:

Thanks

MoLewisrocks said:
The Yankees are going to need to petition for a waiver to position a permanent cut off man between CF and SS. And God forbid he have his patented half season slump out of the gate this season. George isn't gonna give him a pass because he helped win a WS once for his arch enemy. I doubt Michelle will be able to land a TV job in the competitive Big Apple even as the bearer of Johnny's other set of twins. Although now he can afford to buy her an even bigger pair.

So lets assess the Sox off season:

Golden Boy GM walks away over FO head games
Added a starter with a questionable arm
Took on a $9M 3rd baseman to get him
Traded their top positional prospect (a SS) to get him
Traded the Gold Glove SS they had to have last year and
Agreed to pay $11M of his salary in exchange for
A ml 3rd base prospect
Traded the best backup catcher in baseball for
A 2nd baseman who was injured last season

They still have no GM (just two of the minions job-sharing GM by committee)
but they are leaving a light in the window for their lost GM :rolleyes:

They have no 1B, no SS, no CF, an unhappy and now homeless $19M LF, a suddenly injury prone RF, a 39 year old Ace with a limp, a hard drinkin' #2 who wants to be traded, a new #2-3 with arm issues, a #3-4 who can't pitch in the second half, a #5 knuckleballer who has no catcher, a #6 who can either start, record another CD or pitch out of the pen, and a divorced $7M closer who is apparently toast. Thank God they still have a DH in case anybody gets on base.

Well, at least we'll always have 2004 Sox fans - and John, Tom, Larry and the Dentist. It's Wait Til Next Year deja vu all over again. Merry Christmas.

Over on SOSH they are apparently torn between "Nomarizing" Damon and defending his right to take the $$$$. I loved this exchange between posters with opposing views -

QUOTE:

"Finally, it always amazes me when people gripe about athletes going for the most money. These guys have a limited time to make the bulk of their lifetime earnings, and in Damon's case, his window literally is likely the next four years. Why shouldn't he maximize it? Why should he go to the team that values his services less than others do?"

Response (from an apparently enlightened SOSHer):

"Tom Brady says hi."

Thanks for reminding us of all the good news! Someone please stop the "hot stove" ride---i want to get off!

Ohh and when did dan duquette become the new boston gm :rolleyes:

Johnny Mac said:
"I was shocked. He signed to play with the Devil."

That was Damon's reaction to A-rod going to the Yankees. :snob:
Oh brother, was it really?

Johnny, you may be rich, but you sure aren't too bright. :rolleyes:

Siddiqi, your comment is comical beyond belief; when have the MFY EVER worried about two years down the road and having to eat a contract.

If signing Damon brings you a World Series next year, will you or any other MFY fan give two $hits about how he performs on the back end of the contract? Instead of worrying about that, I'd be more concerned if I were you about his noodle arm patroling the grand canyon known as center field in Yankee Stadium THIS year.

Offensively, the MFY are murders row, top to bottom THE best lineup in baseball. They shored up their bullpen as well and if they get DECENT starting pitching, they will win 100 plus games in their sleep with that lineup.

The Red Sox management is the laughing stock of baseball, perhaps all of sports at the moment. They unloaded Rent a wreck and have no plan B, then they let Damon get away and again, have no plan B. This means up the middle next year they will have two stiffs at SS and a CF, unless they make a trade, but what do they give up in that trade? Imagine what this team will look like next year if Manny gets his wish and gets traded; only the catcher, DH and right fielder left from a team that two years ago won the World Series. Lean times are ahead for Red Sox nation. What a disaster, a joke really.

Gotta luv this. This freak goes with the money as all MLB whores do and the naieve Sox fans feel betrayed. DUH!!! ROTFL!

Why folks waste their time on this pack of proven losers is an unending source of entertainment to me.

Now the whining and complaining that our (Sox) management won't OUTSPEND the other guys for a championship begins.

Tell me why MLB is not a game for losers?

Double G said:
Siddiqi, your comment is comical beyond belief; when have the MFY EVER worried about two years down the road and having to eat a contract.

If signing Damon brings you a World Series next year, will you or any other MFY fan give two $hits about how he performs on the back end of the contract? Instead of worrying about that, I'd be more concerned if I were you about his noodle arm patroling the grand canyon known as center field in Yankee Stadium THIS year.

Offensively, the MFY are murders row, top to bottom THE best lineup in baseball. They shored up their bullpen as well and if they get DECENT starting pitching, they will win 100 plus games in their sleep with that lineup.

The Red Sox management is the laughing stock of baseball, perhaps all of sports at the moment. They unloaded Rent a wreck and have no plan B, then they let Damon get away and again, have no plan B. This means up the middle next year they will have two stiffs at SS and a CF, unless they make a trade, but what do they give up in that trade? Imagine what this team will look like next year if Manny gets his wish and gets traded; only the catcher, DH and right fielder left from a team that two years ago won the World Series. Lean times are ahead for Red Sox nation. What a disaster, a joke really.

How is the red sox FO the laughing stock of baseball? How is this a disaster or a joke? They still hav ea lot of time to address their needs. They were supposed to be in shambles when Theo walked but they went out and got Beckett, lowell, loretta. They still have work to do of course, but they aren't going to overpay for a CF on the downside of his career. They should have a very solid pitching staff this year and they will have enough offense to make a run for the playoffs.

I dont see Manny going anywhere. I think judgement should be saved until the season actually starts and we know what the team is going to actually look like

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back