SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Bills
Sun
Sep 29th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Defense Dominates
Sunday's win over the Jets was another dominating performance by New England's defense.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Dallas' Tony Romo to Brady: "See You In February"

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by blueberryicedcoffee, Oct 14, 2015.

1. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,035
    ---
    Yeah, I appreciate the debate and it does force me to re-think and re-examine a lot of things and I learn quite a lot from this place through discussions like this.But in terms of consistency in play-offs, Brady/Manning/Rodgers are really in their own group. I wouldn't even include Brees there (sorry Pherein).

Brady has made the play-offs 13 out of 14 years he's started the majority of the games for the team (excluding 2000 and 2008). Manning is 14 of 16. Rodgers is 6 of 7.

Brees is 5 of 9, Ben is 7 of 11, still very good but not quite in that tier of almost-automatic. Romo is 4 of 8, even after those 2 last-week losses where they could have made the play-offs (one year he didn't even play that last game). So he could be up in that tier, or a touch behind, but not that far. Eli is 5 of 10.

So apart from Brady/Peyton/Rodgers, no QB is really a significant guarantee in making the play-offs.

As for Brees, I agree, he played well last night and had to because that Saints team is really bad. But what about Romo?

The 2013 Cowboys defense was atrocious. The offense finished 5th in points; the defense 26th. That year was the Romo-Broncos 51-48 game where Romo got blamed for his bad throw while the defense gets a free pass. They also took a 10-point lead on the Lions with 6:45 left in the 4th and the defense let them score 2 TDs to lose the game for an offense that put up 30 on the road. Romo had a mediocre game against the Saints, but New Orleans ran up 49 so it didn't really matter. He played okay against the Bears, who threw up 45. They scored 36 against Green Bay and build a 12-point lead with 7:55 to go, but Matt Flynn(!!!) leads the team to 2 TD drives late to score 37. Then he missed the last game due to injury. And Romo's the reason they failed to make the play-offs...

In Romo's 9 seasons, the defense has finished 20th or worse in points allowed 5 times, and only 1 time did they finish in the top 10. In Brees's 9 seasons, the defense has also finished 20th or worse in points allowed 5 times (although this season will be 6 it looks like), and only twice did it finish in the top 10. So they're actually quite comparable in carrying the team. For Ben, the D has finished in the top ten in points allowed 7 of 10 years, and never worse than 18th.

So if Brees is a hero for playing with garbage, why isn't Romo?

• Like Like x 1
  2. blueberryicedcoffee

blueberryicedcoffee Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +406
    ---
    Because Brees has won the Super Bowl, so he can do whatever he wants now and still be considered a very good QB by a lot of people. Not calling him a choker, but he could choke the season away and nobody would bat an eye simply because he has a SB.

I have a friend who watches football. He's not the biggest fan in the world, but he seemed to know what's up usually. I asked him a while back during the SF vs BAL SB who he thought the best QB in the league was. Know what he said?

"Well, it has to be Kaepernick or Flacco, because their teams made the Super Bowl"

That's the kind of thinking people have sometimes. It's all about the QB, and none of the other 52 players matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. meatface

meatface Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,846
    ---
    Somehow I don't think this is happening

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

4. TommyD4207

TommyD4207 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7,467
    ---
    I felt like bumping this, because it makes me laugh to think about.

• Dislike Dislike x 1