Pick Results: MIA: 0% at NE: 0%

Sun
Sep 12th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

borg

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
My homeowners association has just punted Xfinity basic cable and instead will be funding AT&T 1GB internet + modem instead.
So after 17 years of overpaying for premium cable, cable boxes, internet, and a wifi modem I'm going the streaming route and am looking for advice on....

1) Best streaming device.......Amazon Firestick, Roku, others
Note: I don't own a smart tv yet and don't have 4k

2) Best/most reliable streaming service that is simple to use, has live local stations, cable news channels, ESPN, NBCSN, at a minimum
Note: Currently have Amazon Prime, Netflix and now HBO Max which comes free with the new AT&T internet

From my research, HULU TV looks cover all bases as does FUBO
Reading online reviews, most services had terrible reviews for glitchiness

Thoughts?
Personal experiences?

Thanks

Reactions: Ian

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
My homeowners association has just punted Xfinity basic cable and instead will be funding AT&T 1GB internet + modem instead.
So after 17 years of overpaying for premium cable, cable boxes, internet, and a wifi modem I'm going the streaming route and am looking for advice on....

2) Best/most reliable streaming service that is simple to use, has live local stations, cable news channels, ESPN, NBCSN, at a minimum
Note: Currently have Amazon Prime, Netflix and now HBO Max which comes free with the new AT&T internet

Thoughts?
Personal experiences?

Thanks
since you'll be on ATT internet, see if you can get a deal for ATT TV.....I like how it works

Ian

Administrator
ADMINISTRATOR

Thoughts?
Personal experiences?

Thanks
Roku - hands down. Super easy and the remote is extremely intuitive. Feels like regular TV when you're in whatever App you're using (I use Hulu Live). I have Roku Ultras on all three TVs in the house. If you time it right, you can typically get them for $49-$69. The processor makes it smooth and it works great.

TommyBrady12

Hall of Fame Poster
YouTube TV is good. $64 per month but you can add up to 5 devices I think

borg

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
since you'll be on ATT internet, see if you can get a deal for ATT TV.....I like how it works
ATT is offering $10/month off for TV
Do you get local HD channels? Which ones?

RobertWeathers

Chairman & CEO of Team Bill
PatsFans.com Supporter

Thoughts?
Personal experiences?

Thanks
Central MA here.

Cut the cord 3 months ago

Before
-Charter Cable (basic w/ 3 boxes)
-Phone
-Internet
Total Monthly Charges ~$260/mo

After
-2 Roku boxes ($40/ea 1 time)
-Apple (box) free
-Netflix $12/mo
-Amazon Prime: $12/mo
-Disney+ free b/c w/ VZW
-Fubo (live TV)- $64.95/mo
-Charter internet/phone (phone is free)- $60/mo
Total Monthly Charges: ~$160/mo

No regrets.

borg

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I caved and went triple bundle with ATT......Internet, streaming TV, cell phone.
1st year my ATT TV costs will be $90/month cheaper than if I stayed with Xfinity cable.
Finally no device rental fees.
ATT includes 1 streaming device and my kid had a firestick that is compatible with ATT TV.
I also had to get out of my Metro by T Mobile cell phone service. Reception was nonexistent inside most large structures.
Because of my bundle, ATT had great deal ($105 + tax) that came close to matching my 4 phone $100 (tax included) unlimited Metro plan.

Thanks all for the helpful info

Last edited:
Wild horses couldn't tear me aweigh from my Roku Ultra. Especially like the Bluetooth option and the oodles of free old-time television which is important to me because I'm old. I subscribe to You tube TV for $69.08 a month which is kind of pricy but well worth it for all the options they have. I get Netflix for zero because the Grandkids have me on their subscription. I pay $40 per month for Internet/wifi with Centurylink for 45 Mbps and 2.4 to 5 GHz. My antennae picks up another 10 watchable channels. Cable/satellite is dead to me.

LuRkeR1978

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
The path to happiness is to cut TV programming from your life, and replace it with hobbies.

denverpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Get a smart 4k TV. They are cheap. Especially if you are watching sports.

FCB02062

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
I've been thinking of this as well... thanks for the tips in here..we pay about $260/month with Verizon. granted we have every fukcing movie channel and we never watch them... such a waste.

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
Roku - hands down. Super easy and the remote is extremely intuitive. Feels like regular TV when you're in whatever App you're using (I use Hulu Live). I have Roku Ultras on all three TVs in the house. If you time it right, you can typically get them for $49-$69. The processor makes it smooth and it works great.
Wild horses couldn't tear me aweigh from my Roku Ultra. Especially like the Bluetooth option and the oodles of free old-time television which is important to me because I'm old. I subscribe to You tube TV for $69.08 a month which is kind of pricy but well worth it for all the options they have. I get Netflix for zero because the Grandkids have me on their subscription. I pay $40 per month for Internet/wifi with Centurylink for 45 Mbps and 2.4 to 5 GHz. My antennae picks up another 10 watchable channels. Cable/satellite is dead to me.

+1 for Roku Ultra.

Other stuff I like is the Ultra+ has a USB jack and a media player so you can stick stuff on it and watch it that way. I have some exercise videos I watch a lot and I know they're always right there instead of having to fumble through a PC interface to play them. The media player also detects PCs on the local network so you can go that way too.

The voice interface works well for me.

I also bought a third-party programmable remote from Amazon so I can control my old-school stereo and Roky with just one remote. The only issue is it does not have the voice feature so I have to keep the remote that came with the Ultra around for the few times I want to use voice search.

I tried all the different TV apps and the one I liked best was Hulu. The only thing I didn't like was it still had an annoying number of commercials even on their 'less commercials' package. The DVR mode also did not let me skip through commercials.

I've been a TiVo user for decades now (yes, I had one in the analog TV days too) and I'm just convinced skipping through commercials is worth the extra cost. Yet these days the only thing I use it for is to record NFL games so it's not really worth the annual renewal.

Now I'm kinda looking at what to do next. The most attractive thing is using a VPN to get International Gamepass, but I'll wait till the season starts to see if that path is still an option.

It's kind of a PITA that the recent media deal didn't sort out what was gonna happen to Sunday Ticket.

Pat the Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Killed Directv about 2 years ago. Cable not available on my street. Went the roku, amazon, Netflix, slingtv route. Get to watch everything I want to watch. Vpn and reddit have helped with me following the pats, just lose the ability to record the game. Bill went from $190 per month to about $40.

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
I have the cheapest xfinity internet I can get and it's $55, no shot at fiber.
I pay for Amazon Prime but I did that long before I cut the cord and rarely use Amazon Video.
I pay $12 for Youtube Premium to get rid of ads and I use that all the time.
There's really nothing on TV other than NFL that I give a damn about.
I forget what I pay for Tivo service, but it comes out to something like $12.
So I'm pretty much all in for media at $79/mo and of course internet gets used for other things too.

I have the cheapest xfinity internet I can get and it's $55, no shot at fiber.
I pay for Amazon Prime but I did that long before I cut the cord and rarely use Amazon Video.
I pay $12 for Youtube Premium to get rid of ads and I use that all the time.
There's really nothing on TV other than NFL that I give a damn about.
I forget what I pay for Tivo service, but it comes out to something like $12.
So I'm pretty much all in for media at $79/mo and of course internet gets used for other things too.
You tube premium in my opinion is the best streaming value out there. Incredible amount of content and the best source of old Charlie Chan (among many others) movies there is. The included you tube music is fantastic. I live in Arizona and get the nhl.tv app for 150 per year and watch all the Bruins games.

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
You tube premium in my opinion is the best streaming value out there. Incredible amount of content and the best source of old Charlie Chan (among many others) movies there is. The included you tube music is fantastic. I live in Arizona and get the nhl.tv app for 150 per year and watch all the Bruins games.
Good call.

I have both Amazon Music (because I bought into Alexa, have speakers throughout my house for 'whole house sound') and YouTube Music as a part of Premium. I gotta say U2B's "algorithm" is a lot smarter than Amazon's, U2B is great at figuring out what I like and then using that to generate the "your mix" playlists that show up on my phone's u2b music app. Unfortunately they don't seem to have a separate Roku app for music, you have to go to the music tab in their main roku app and it doesn't have the same content as the u2b phone music app.

I'm not doing YouTube TV though. Just not enough value in TV for me to pay for that. I spend a lot of time watching plain old u2b content such as history, science, aviation, music, etc. Not interested in mainstream TV stuff enough to pay for it. I do buy a few different series from time to time, usually using Amazon Video just because they make ordering easy.

borg

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Almost 3 weeks since I cut the cable and let AT&T rule my new digital world.
My AT&T fiber is powerful. Getting 750 Mbps in the room with the wifi modem and 550 Mbps in the rest of the house. Bought a $55 booster for upstairs but it really wasn't necessary. I can walk down my street past 5 houses and still get my AT&T wifi service on my phone.

Zero issues with AT&T TV service though switching between 2 programs frequently is a negative.
Zero outages in 3 weeks vs Comcast/Xfinity cable wifi that crapped out several times a week.