PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crying rivers for Players that repeatedly Fail - sigh

RecoveringCowboy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
An example of why I'm here.

In Nov 2012 Cowboy Josh Brent flew off the freeway at 110 in a 45, skidding 900 yards on the other side, killing his teammate Jerry Brown (not the governor.) He had 23 drinks. Texas is pretty harsh on offenders unless it's DUI - he already had one back in 2009 in Illinois. The victim's Mom pleaded on behalf of Brent and he got 180 days in jail - 10 years probation.

But after his DUI manslaughter, he failed a drug test TWICE! If that's not enough, a Cowboy's forum has a few people eager to get Brent back on the team! He was never a starter, BTW.

The logic I was given is that team is a 'family.' Isn't it also a business? Even families have limits to tolerance...they often make members straighten up or disown them after awhile.

I pointed out that for 99.99% of us, we won't get that many chances and come back to the same job or go on to a job just as good. Got some dismissive replies to that observation - 'this is family.' A dysfunctional one run by an owner that in addition insisting he continue as a failed General Manager, acquires players with known issues, and retains them even after it hurts the team.

Yes, I can feel for people that have made wrong choices but at some point they have to face consequences. Life is full of people that never learn.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back