PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crazy draft idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Mercedes Lewis TE UCLA.

I know everyone has questioned why we drafted two first round tight ends already, but just because we draft another doesn't mean we failed before.

I know nothing about Mercedes Lewis the person, but his talent cannot be questioned. He is about as good a receiving tight end as you will ever see coming out of college. He is not a proven blocker, but that may be because they never asked him to in college. He certainly has the size and I'm sure our staff can make him more than capable as a blocker.

The game is about innovation, someone thinks up a great new idea and then everyone copies it. How about the 3 TE 1 WR 1 RB set, but as a passing and running formation. If we lose Givens it could be our base offense.

With Branch on the outside and then Watson, Graham, and Lewis from tight end positions, or split out as receivers with Dillon in the backfield. Now if you pass you have 4 great options, plus Dillon for screens. If you run you have 5 lineman, and 3 tight ends to block. I think even BB himself would struggle to gameplan for this.

osu sucks!

Oh sorry, that wasnt the thread.
i like your idea, but i think we need help in other positions.

I will be celebrating two championships next year, that is all I'm saying. By the way since the 2000 season this is the first year I am not celebrating a championship ( between the Patriots and Buckeyes).

Back to the topic, what type of defense would opponents put on the field, a 4-3, nickel, maybe even dime on passing downs. No matter what they choose I believe we could exploit serious mathup advantages.

I'd rather go TE Vernon Davis instead.

The guy's another Watson. Imagine two Watson's out there along with Graham. Good grief! Talk about matchup advantages.

Davis has an extremely low chance of slipping to the Patriots, but that is ok because I think Lewis has better hands. Davis is a more complete package and probably faster, but we will have to wait for combine and workouts to see how much. I also think Lewis has more top end potential, although not as much of a sure bet.

WE ARE NOT DONE said:
Davis has an extremely low chance of slipping to the Patriots, but that is ok because I think Lewis has better hands. Davis is a more complete package and probably faster, but we will have to wait for combine and workouts to see how much. I also think Lewis has more top end potential, although not as much of a sure bet.

Are you a UCLA fan?

Is the guy a great blocker? Because if he isn't, and most great receiving TEs in college aren't, I don't see how it would cause defenses any problems. They would just treat him as a WR.

One of the negatives that is reported about him is his blocking, but in the bowl game UCLA saw a weakness against Northwestern and rushed for over 300 yards with Lewis doing very well blocking. Of course he was blocking against the worst D in the country, so it could still be a weakness. He does have the size to become a very good blocker with hard work,and we all know if he doesn't seem to be a hard worker BB won't draft him anyway. Also I am not a UCLA fan, but I do like Lewis as a prospect.

Tampa Bay will take Lewis in the first round before we get to him and will turn him into a blocking fullback to replace Alstott.

Their want to have a Cadillac and a Mercedes in their backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back