PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Covid testing for this season will really introduce uncertainty into betting lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevrolet

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Fauci: NFL season depends on testing, response

Faucci suggests optimal approach would be testing players Saturday night and again Sunday morning. Any players who test positive would need to be quarantined for 14 days.

If QB or star players test positive, it will have huge impact on betting lines and the season in general.

This means having competent backups and depth is probably more critical for this season than ever.

Fauci said right now "there's too much infection" for there to be a season, adding, "But I would hope that by the time you get to September, it's not gonna be the way it is right now."

Did I miss something? Is Fauci in charge of the NFL now? Or does he just think he is?

Can we please consider Fauci a useful information source, but not “whatever he says goes”?

They're going to have to allow for an entirely separate class of IR so that any player who tests positive can be placed on IR and eligible to return after a few weeks (with no limit to how many players can be placed on this auxiliary IR and taken off)

People need to stop listening to Fauci.

I'm holding back on what I really want to say about him, but I don’t want to turn this into a political thread.

This NFL season will be a sh** show.

I also think Covid testing should be done by a neutral party and the results made public, i.e. "so-and-so is deactivated the next 4 weeks due to a positive Covid test."

I'm holding back on what I really want to say about him, but I don’t want to turn this into a political thread.

Fauci has been on point. Wish we had listened to him earlier. We'd be in a much better place right now.

Last edited:
I think having no fans will be a big impact on betting lines too.

Ideally, players would be tested more than just twice.

Fauci has been on point. Wish we had listened to him earlier. We'd be in a much better place right now.

In February, Fauci claimed this would be comparable to a bad flu season. Just saying.

Oh, and here's a few quotes from February... he says we should be paying MORE attention to the flu than the coronavirus.

Fauci says something the public should be paying more attention to, however, is the flu.

"The flu is a real and present issue that we are going through right now," Fauci said. "We're so used to every year having the seasonal flu that we sort of take it for granted. It's part of life. And yet each year it kills from [30,000] to 79, 80,000 on our worst year."

One thing Fauci says will not protect you from getting sick is wearing a face mask.

"I think there's this misperception that wearing a mask, even if you were in an area where there was transmission, is going to absolutely protect you," Fauci said. "A mask is more appropriate for someone who is infected to prevent them from infecting someone else."

"There is no circulating sustained transmission of coronavirus in the United States," according to Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, a branch of the National Institutes of Health.

Plus a link to this interview.

Disease Expert: Flu a Bigger Risk in the US Than Coronavirus

Last edited:
guys, focus on what he said and not who said it, i find it interesting and perhaps very good advice, I am probably saying that because i want foot ball so bad, i am not riding a superbowl win like i had in the past

In February, Fauci claimed this would be comparable to a bad flu season. Just saying.

I look at it from a military perspective. If this would have been a biological attack we failed miserably. I'll never accept that.

They're going to have to allow for an entirely separate class of IR so that any player who tests positive can be placed on IR and eligible to return after a few weeks (with no limit to how many players can be placed on this auxiliary IR and taken off)

FWIW, the NFL already has a contagious disease policy that allows for en masse promotion of practice squad players in such a case.

FWIW, the NFL already has a contagious disease policy that allows for en masse promotion of practice squad players in such a case.
Seems like with that in mind and the unusual circumstance this season, teams should have more protection from getting their practice squad guys nabbed by other teams. Not really sure how to construct that though.

Did I miss something? Is Fauci in charge of the NFL now? Or does he just think he is?

No, Trump thinks he is in charge of the NFL, no kneeling. What's next.

I also think Covid testing should be done by a neutral party and the results made public, i.e. "so-and-so is deactivated the next 4 weeks due to a positive Covid test."

Drug testing is by neutral party, I believe. I have a neighbor that goes to the practice site in NJ to test Jets players unannounced.

Get over it, drink some disinfectant and shove a light up your butt.

When I tell my kids they can't eat cake for dinner they get mad at me. These people who hate on Fauci sound like my kids when they are denied cake for dinner.

He's a doctor and public health official. He's asked an opinion, and he gives it. On a very simple matter (testing protocol). Government officials then decide what to do with that information. Or, in this case, NFL officials. He doesn't have public policy authority in a pandemic, he has expert authority. This is no different than if you are given an opinion by your doctor. You decide what to do next.

It is safe to say that no one on this message board comes anywhere close to the life achievements of Dr. Fauci. He was one of the world's 3 or 4 most important scientists 30 years ago, and has only built on that. His dedication to his field of study certainly outdistances anything any pro football player has ever done. People like him don't have an off season. They are reading, studying, conferring, thinking about the science 20 hours a day, 7 days a week. To accomplish that, scientists like him develop powers of concentration that would stagger the average person.

These NFL players are surrounded by people - staff, families, media, and more. Each of those people are surrounded by people. Many in that extended network will have medical conditions that make them vulnerable. The game of football requires the exchange of bodily fluids. You really resent having the players tested?!

Fauci can s#ck my br@cciole

Can we please consider Fauci a useful information source, but not “whatever he says goes”?

If the results of the testing only require that two or three players from each team are removed from the game day roster, that will be an amazing success - not so much for the NFL (which doesn't matter at all in this context) but for us in our collective efforts against the virus.

Much more likely is that, on any given Sunday, two or three teams will have their rosters gutted and not be able to field competitive teams. The NFL needs to have a policy in place for pandemic forfeits.

And as an aside, I can't think of a single pandemic related issue that matters less than its impact on gambling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes