PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cool article on the first Brady-Manning game

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a fantastic article. Back then Colts were AFCE and we played them twice in season. I was at the Bledsoe Mo Lewis game where a Testaverde sack, fumble, Pats recovery was reversed by the "Tuck Rule", but I'd forgotten this first Colts game remembering instead the next Colts game where David Patten made history. Great read.

Last edited:
This is also a good place to point out that 2001 was near the beginning of the idea of "power rankings" and that likely the best NFL sportswriter of that era, "Dr. Z" of Sports Illustrated, had labeled the Patriots as the very worst team in the NFL after the Bledsoe injury.

In fact, that Tuesday column (linked below) was likely published the day before Tom Brady had his very first practice as an NFL starter.

"This is sad. Drew Bledsoe took a big hit and is out indefinitely. Honestly, I don't know what weapons they have with which to win a game"

CNNSI.com - Pro Football - Dr. Z's NFL Power Rankings - Thursday September 27, 2001 03:37 PM

It was not a crazy idea that we were that bad, either. Coming off a 5-11 season, losing a franchise QB, going to a total unknown, and without a lot of "buzz" about any big name draftees or big ticket free agent acquisitions.

I remember the WEEI "whiner line" after the Bledsoe injury. There were not many believers even imagining what was about to happen.

Remember that when people are discussing Brady's unsurpassed career won/loss percentage and then some moron will chime in "Yeah, but he was lucky to step right on to a Super Bowl caliber team" Riiiiiiiiiiggghhhhttt...

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the article. Definitely makes me appreciate this Sunday's match up even more. I'm excited!

I remember that game vividly. I live 3 hours away from the stadium. My 1st live game was in 95. We lost to the Colts(Harbaugh) but I was hooked on live football. I could only manage 1 to 2 football games a year back then. I guy worked with was able to get tickets to the Colts game in 01. I couldn't wait. Then Bledsoe got hurt and I was like, "Crap, this is the game I get" After Brady got sacked I said to myself, "here we go". Then he completed a pass and was his command was apparent. I left Foxboro that day knowing I just saw something special start. I never imagined it would be this special though. It was a special day for me as well as it was the first game I ever saw the Patriots win live.

Thanks for the article. I'm having goosebumps right now.:)

That's the game where Bryan Cox lit up Jerome Pathon.

Yes, I remember that game pretty well, especially the two defensive TDs. Classic.

Thanks alot for this link carr. Its tough sifting through all the **** thats passed off as journalism these days, but your efforts were totally worth it in finding this little gem.
Havnt heard of this writer or site before but will pay more attention now in hopes that they produce more articles like this.

-Sent from the device that is held in my hand-

Great article.
The best football season for me of all time.

They were supposed to just keep losing and they just kept winning and winning and it kept going and going and then we won the Superbowl.

Great article.

That's a great piece of writing right there. It's Halberstam-like.

Little OT, but that article also reminds me of the 2001 Rams game at Foxboro. We lost 24-17, but that's when I realized this team had what it took to be a Super Bowl team

Last edited:
Great read, thank you Mr Carr for posting and Mr Tanier for writing such a great story.

And the rest they say is history.

That's the game where Bryan Cox lit up Jerome Pathon.

Belichick's use of Bryan Cox (well, for the first 7 games) was pretty interesting stuff. He played the MLB role when the D was in base 4-3. Not surprising. But when the Pats switched to Nickel, they'd have Cox often play strong-side DE out of a 4-man-line...with Roman on the other end.

I was watching some of the early 2001 games (including Colts/Pats) and totally forgot just how much playing time Cox (and Roman Pheifer) got on this D. I think people, retro-activley, think that McGinest, Vrabel, Bruschi, and Johnson were always the core of the team. But, from what I saw, Johnson and McGinest really had to fight for playing time early on....

Great find. Thanks for sharing.

beautifully written

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes