PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Consolidated list of DE/OLB Tweeners for the 3-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Nice encapsulation of players that fit our 3-4 scheme at OLB. The prospects are listed based on projected position, not college position. Lot of undersized DEs in the class.

http://www.draftshowcase.com/34olb.htm

Carpenter, Lawson, Dumervil... Kudla, Tapp.

Interesting to me that Hali in not mentioned, based on other posts on this board that he can play in coverage. This re-inforces my gut that he's a better prospect as a pure down lineman.

With Vrabel playing inside, McGinest and Brown nearing the end of their careers, we have Colvin and TBC projected at the spot long term.

With all the picks we have, and the clear need at both OLB and ILB, I'm 90% sure we'll draft at least one of the players off this list. What intruiges me most is the players like Quentin Moses, Quentin Groves and Copeland Bryan and other guys I've never even heard of. The mainstream draftnik sites dont slat their coverage to the 3-4, so those kinds of names dont get enough airplay for Pats fans.

Plus, I have yet to observe a BB draft in which Patriots Nation didn't emit a giant "Who??" in unison. So getting a deep undigested list of prospects like this is very valuable.

Thanks, great find!

Unfortunately, the reason you haven't heard of Quentin Moses, Quentin Groves, and several others is that they didn't enter the draft this year.

If it's not Manny Lawson in the 1st, I'm thinking Stanley McClover in the 2nd. He's raw but has abilities a lot like Lawson's, and reportedly a great motor.

FYI: culled list of OLB prospects available in the 2006 draft...

1. Bobby Carpenter - Ohio State
2. Manny Lawson - NC State
3. Elvis Dumervil - Louisville
5. Mark Anderson - Alabama
7. Copeland Bryan - Arizona
10. Stanley McClover - Auburn
11. Brandon Guillory - LA-Monroe
12. Mike Kudla - Ohio State
13. Daryl Tapp - Virginia Tech
14. Parys Haralson - Tennessee
15. Pierre Woods - Michigan
16. Charlton Keith - Kansas
17. Chris Gocong - Cal-Poly - 6'1, 255
18. Jeremy Mincey - Florida - 6'3, 262
19. Willie Evans - Mississippi State - 6'2, 270
20. Javon Nanton - Miami - 6'3, 240
21. Ryan LaCasse - Syracuse - 6'3, 249
22. Brent Hawkins - Illinois State - 6'3, 244
23. Montez Murphy - Baylor - 6'6, 263
24. John Chick - Utah State - 6'4, 248
25. Terrence Royal - South Florida - 6'3, 255

For the second day I kind of like Haralson, Charlton, and LaCasse (a Brockton lad, fwiw).

I still like Daryl Tapp

I think he would be a good 3-4 OLB.

I liked Jeremy Mincey also.

Alas rook, you wound me! :(

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=30111

Of course you could just be a slow starter and too lazy to read three pages back. :D

Using patchick's list and based on the All-Star games, Tapp, Lawson, and Hawkins are the three who seem to have the most upside for OLB. I like Tapp as another Rosie Colvin and I think he's the better balanced of the three between pass rush and run stopping. I like Gocong for ILB, he seemed to find the ball well and he has the interior size BB likes; he'd need to go through the block shedding apprenticeship and spend some time in coverage. My OLB sleeper would be Federkeil of Calgary, 6'7" 275, he reminded me of a very raw Willie in the Shrine Game, more power and finesse than speed - without the finesse at this stage.

I would addd a couple of players to the list.

Wyche - Syracuse
B Johnson - Louisville
Reid - KU

A guy I like is Kam Wimbley from FSU. ( 6-4, 255) runs well for a tweener (4.5) vertical of 39.5 inches. The guy is a freak. He busted his ass at FSU just to get up to weight. He came in as a freshman at 210 the rumor was that if he could not add weight they would play him at linebacker. In highschool he played WR and QB and LB.

Last edited:
The nice thing about this draft is the apparent wealth of talent at DE who could do well at OLB. I know Tapp's height could work against him, but you had to like his ability to give the LTs trouble in the Senior Bowl.

patchick said:
FYI: culled list of OLB prospects available in the 2006 draft...

1. Bobby Carpenter - Ohio State
2. Manny Lawson - NC State
3. Elvis Dumervil - Louisville
5. Mark Anderson - Alabama
7. Copeland Bryan - Arizona
10. Stanley McClover - Auburn
11. Brandon Guillory - LA-Monroe
12. Mike Kudla - Ohio State
13. Daryl Tapp - Virginia Tech
14. Parys Haralson - Tennessee
15. Pierre Woods - Michigan
16. Charlton Keith - Kansas
17. Chris Gocong - Cal-Poly - 6'1, 255
18. Jeremy Mincey - Florida - 6'3, 262
19. Willie Evans - Mississippi State - 6'2, 270
20. Javon Nanton - Miami - 6'3, 240
21. Ryan LaCasse - Syracuse - 6'3, 249
22. Brent Hawkins - Illinois State - 6'3, 244
23. Montez Murphy - Baylor - 6'6, 263
24. John Chick - Utah State - 6'4, 248
25. Terrence Royal - South Florida - 6'3, 255

For the second day I kind of like Haralson, Charlton, and LaCasse (a Brockton lad, fwiw).

I'll bet we draft someone off this list.

One name that I find intruiging... Mike Kudla. I watched a lot of Big 10 last year, scouting Hawk, Carpenter and Schlegel, and I'll tell youwhat... the kid is a playmaker. I'd gladly spend a 4th on him and roll the dice on the positional conversion.

think dumervil will be there in round 2? i'd like that pick. He's not in GBN's 2-round draft, so he could be around. Flying Elvis?

Last edited:
I'd like to add a few other guys who could make the switch and would use a 2nd day pick on.
Justin Parrish Kent State
Frostee Rucker USC
Charles Bennett Clemson
Jason Hunter Appalachian State

I just don't see the Pats drafting Dumervil because of his size. The guy doesn't clear 6'0".

The Pats top 3 OLBs are all at least 6'3" and at least 250 lbs. I am including Vrabel here because I don't think that TBC has proven that he can handle being in the regular rotation.

The Pats look for, amongst other things, a LB who can drop back into coverage as well as get his hands up on the Pass Rush to take away throwing lanes.

Bill has said that sacks are and overated stat. We all heard that. But he went on ot say a pass deflected or knocked down counts for just as much and frequently more since INTs come from tipped passes. Hence his desire for height on the Dline...

I also like Brandon Guillory.

His size and stats mirror Manny Lawson's. He is athletic and versatile. If the Pats don't take Lawson, Guillory could be an option in the third, maybe fourth.

There seem to be several interesting DE->OLB conversions, but I don't think the shorter guys fit as well in the Pats system. The guys like Spires and Mathis and Freeney seem to thrive in the Tampa-2 system, but not the Belichick 3-4.

I agree with Dabriunz, BB prefers height and long arms. And coverage is a must. Just as blitz pick up is ultra important for a RB in the BB system, so is covergae to the tweener in the BB defense.

The reads that OLB's have to make in the Pats defense are not easy. (Maybe not nearly as tough as the ILBs but definitely not as easy as a Strong or weakside LB in a 4-3) It would be very hard to imagine a college DE rookie coming in and starting at OLB for the Pats. Maybe if only as a situational sub could I see it.

Ochmed Jones said:
It would be very hard to imagine a college DE rookie coming in and starting at OLB for the Pats. Maybe if only as a situational sub could I see it.

Agree Ochmed. But, I think the people who want to draft an olb/de,
want to have one to replace Willie if he retires or leaves after 06.
Plus, wouldn't hurt to have younger legs to rotate in pass rush.
Not start. But, groom one as replacement. I think that Elephant position
is the most important one in a 3-4. Most important pass-rusher comes
from that spot. And, if you aren't getting a pass-rush. You're dead
meat. Too easy to double DL in 3-4. That' why rush has to come
from olb.

patchick said:
Boy is my attention span short...hail to BOR!

I just don't know about Tapp. I love his skills, but the guy is built like a fullback at 6'0" 260.
We aren't the only ones who love his skills...our own Chris Price tracks down the lead. :rocker:

http://www.patsfans.com/price/blog/?q=node/244

The way he uses his hands I wouldn't be surprised to see him taking the Bruschi/Vrabel career path. :eat1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back