PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congratulations coach cal!!!

I'm confused ... is Coach Cal a member of the Patriots??

I find it interesting that all the good/great coaches in college and in the NBA, are Italian Americans.

Roy Williams, Coach K, and Doc Rivers may not fit that description.

I find it interesting that all the good/great coaches in college and in the NBA, are Italian Americans.

Yeah, like Mike D'Antoni.

Yeah, like Mike D'Antoni.

Say what you want about D'Antoni, but he was the second best Knicks coach this year and no one can take that away from him.

Go screw a moose, my friend. Everybody has to lose sometimes, some do it with dignity, while others...

Ain't no meese around here to screw.

And where exactly was I undignified in defeat? Kentucky was the better team and clearly won the game as I said. Kansas fought hard against the odds but came up short. No shame there. Both teams played hard and it was entertaining (at least to me, as I enjoy watching good defense in any sport - other than soccer). I have no issues with the game or its result.

I just think that a guy whose two previous programs have both gone down in flames and who has discovered a way to game the system is a bad thing. I think it will definitely make college ball a worse game and contribute to more excess and violations. I don't admire him for what he's done regardless of what I think of the NCAA (and I share many of your views on them). That's all.

And where exactly was I undignified in defeat? Kentucky was the better team and clearly won the game as I said. Kansas fought hard against the odds but came up short. No shame there. Both teams played hard and it was entertaining (at least to me, as I enjoy watching good defense in any sport - other than soccer). I have no issues with the game or its result.

I just think that a guy whose two previous programs have both gone down in flames and who has discovered a way to game the system is a bad thing. I think it will definitely make college ball a worse game and contribute to more excess and violations. I don't admire him for what he's done regardless of what I think of the NCAA (and I share many of your views on them). That's all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "game the system". What Calipari has done is accept players who expect to be one-and-done. So has pretty much every other coach in the NCAA. If you think otherwise, coach K would be a good place to start.

Yeah, he fooled everyone at UMass. while teams like Kentucky, NC etc. were recruiting 6-8 McDonald's all Americans, he fooled them by winning thirty five games with 6 players - 5 of whom, no one even recruited.

Please tell me how he "gamed" the system at UMass, so i can respond to you.

By the way, at least at UMass, Cal was never even accused of wrongdoing. It was a guy from Camby's home town in Connecticut.

N.C.A.A. Acts Against Kansas

The National Collegiate Athletic Association today barred Kansas, the defending basketball champion, from post-season play in 1989 and placed the school on probation for three years for recruiting violations. Kansas will be the first N.C.A.A. champion in basketball not allowed to defend its title.

In addition, the Jayhawks will not be allowed to pay for campus recruiting visits in 1989 and will be stripped of one scholarship during the first year of the probation.

The N.C.A.A. also ordered the school to show cause why it should not be penalized further if it fails to disassociate three unnamed boosters from the program, ''based upon their involvement in violations of N.C.A.A. rules.'' 'Death Penalty' Considered

The N.C.A.A. said it seriously considered shutting down the Kansas basketball program for an entire year. Only Southern Methodist's football program has been punished with the so-called ''death penalty,'' which can be used for repeated violations.
N.C.A.A. Acts Against Kansas - NYTimes.com

Former Kansas coach said he misunderstood rules

Roy Williams said he made a "mistake" when he approved gifts to graduating players and others who had used up their eligibility while coach at Kansas, but denied there was any intentional wrongdoing.

"We wanted a program that would positively represent the university and the integrity of our basketball program was always very important to me," Williams said in a statement Saturday. "I am deeply saddened to say there was evidently a mistake."

Williams -- now the coach at North Carolina -- issued the statement to respond to a report by Kansas outlining NCAA rules violations in its athletic department. Williams was out of town and was unavailable for further comment, said Steve Kirschner, a spokesman for North Carolina.

After conducting an internal review, the school said Williams -- who won the national championship last April in his second season in Chapel Hill, N.C. -- approved payments made by three representatives of the university's "athletics interests."...

The violations, which Kansas reported to the NCAA last month, were among several involving three programs, ending in 2003. The school responded to violations in the football and women's basketball programs by reducing scholarships, but the men's basketball violation will be addressed through extra education about the rules regarding gifts.

No other sanctions against the program are planned.

Former Kansas coach said he misunderstood rules - Men's College Basketball - ESPN

Last edited:
I knew a guy once who could gargle pea gravel.

Please tell me how he "gamed" the system at UMass, so i can respond to you.

I am referring more to the current situation, rather than the one at UMass. The "gaming" I'm referring to is finding a new way to gain the best recruits, via Worldwide Wes rather than via rich boosters. Very smart of course, as you've got a firewall between the program and the dirty business.

Regarding Kansas, they got quite severely sanctioned as they should have, and for a similar reason - hiring one of the Gypsy coaches who win quickly but tend to leave messes. They then paid their penalty and hired a guy known particularly for cleaning up programs that have violated NCAA rules. Ended badly for him, but not because of recruiting violations.

The "gaming" I'm referring to is finding a new way to gain the best recruits, via Worldwide Wes rather than via rich boosters.

Well that makes sense. Kentucky has always had a hard time finding the best recruits, due to their lack of rich boosters.

Did you know that turtles can read braille?

I'm confused ... is Coach Cal a member of the Patriots??

There's a rumor going around that some Patriot players got money that coach Cal knew about when they were in college. ;)

There's a rumor going around that some Patriot players got money that coach Cal knew about when they were in college. ;)

AHA! Finally, a reason why this thread is on the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE OF PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL messageboard forum!

So, did coach Cal know about just the players, just the money, or both? And, did the money come from their parents or in the form of a college loan? Or, did they find the money on the street?

I have little time for "coach cal," but I'm even more perplexed by those who are coming down on him for his "one and done" strategy.

As far as I'm concerned, Basketball and Football, as conducted at big time College programs (with a handful of noeworthy exceptions), became "Semi-pro" leagues a long time ago. Why are we decrying Calipari for simply taking that reality to its logical conclusion?

There might still be "student athletes" in sports like Lacrosse, Soccer, Volleyball and swimming, but the big bucks corrupted Basketball and Football a long time ago.

In other news, the Easter Bunny takes time out for some shenanigans!

Attachments

• Rabbit with waffle on head.jpg
    Rabbit with waffle on head.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 350
test..................

Ballentyne
Belmont
Bessemer City
Cherryville
Concord
Cornelius
Cramerton