PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Conflicting reports on what Brady wanted from Kraft after 2017: "The Dynasty" says Brady wanted out, but Wickersham said the opposite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockt327

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Seems like we have two conflicting reports on just what Brady really wanted & asked Kraft for after 2017 season. "The Dynasty" says Brady wanted to be let out of his contract, but Wickersham says Brady wanted an extension. Big difference. But here's what they both agree on:
  • Both agree there were discussions during & after the 2017 season
  • Both agree Brady asked Kraft for *something* in a these discussions
  • Both agree Brady did not like the answer Kraft gave him
But what was Brady asking for? See the quotes below; we get two completely different answers. I can't help but think that "The Dynasty" is a biased towards Kraft & Wickersham's article is biased towards Brady. But you can (re-)read for yourself...

Here's the Seth Wickersham article from Mar 22, 2020: "The story behind the split of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and the Patriots"
Seth Wickersham said:
...but the heart of the problem between Brady and Belichick in late 2017 was the same as it was in March 2020: Brady wanted a contract extension.

Brady made it clear that he was playing football until his mid-40s. He preferred to sign a deal to ensure that he retired a Patriot, but if the team refused, he was fine moving on. He wanted clarity. He met with Belichick, and the meeting ended with a "blowup," a source said. He met with Kraft. He got mixed signals.
+ the Seth Wickersham article from Jan 5, 2018 "For Kraft, Brady and Belichick, is this the beginning of the end?"
Seth Wickersham said:
Several times this past October, Brady met with Kraft to discuss playing longer. That same month, he also met with Belichick, who was skeptical of a long-term contract extension but was content to start Brady as long as he was the best quarterback. Belichick understood how much Brady had meant to the franchise, and had always insisted privately that he wouldn't move on from Brady unless he could convince the coaching staff of it. But the reality was that no quarterback has ever played at a championship level into his 40s. The meeting ended in a "little blowup," according to a source. Complicating matters was that Garoppolo would be a free agent at the end of this season. Complicating matters more was that Brady and Garoppolo share Yee as an agent.

Now let's check the an excerpt from Jeff Benedict's "The Dynasty," from Tom E. Curran...

Jeff Benedict's "The Dynasty" said:
When the conversation shifted to the future, Brady and Bündchen indicated it was time for them to make some changes that were in the best interest of their family. Among other things, they were contemplating a change of scenery.

Kraft wasn't surprised by their feelings toward Belichick. He hadn't, however, expected to hear that Brady and Bündchen wanted to leave New England.
But in this instance, Kraft wasn't inclined to let Brady walk away from the Patriots and play for another team. Belichick might have preferred (Jimmy) Garoppolo at one time but Garoppolo was gone. Belichick was counting on Brady's being the Patriots quarterback in 2018. So was Kraft. He explained that to Brady and Bündchen.

The conversation was a difficult one and it ended without resolution.
When Kraft made his position clear, it was as if he had hit the lowest key on a piano. Silence filled his living room. On that note, Brady and Bündchen left without saying anything more.

Most likely both are wrong because these inside story articles are usually bs. Wickershams has proven to be and I’m sure the new one will be too.
the can’t write articles, they need juicy rumor for clicks.

I think it comes down to this: Belichick did not believe Brady can keep up his elite play well into his 40s. That's all. Garoppolo was supposed to be QB1 for Belichick, but Kraft forced Belichick's hand and traded Garoppolo away. Brady went to two Super Bowls and won one, but Belichick probably believed that having a 40 years old QB was risky, which is why Belichick refused to give him a long-term extension. Brady did not like that Belichick is betting against him, so that's why he didn't want to stay anymore.

Seems like we have two conflicting reports on just what Brady really wanted & asked Kraft for after 2017 season. "The Dynasty" says Brady wanted to be let out of his contract, but Wickersham says Brady wanted an extension. Big difference. But here's what they both agree on:
  • Both agree there were discussions during & after the 2017 season
  • Both agree Brady asked Kraft for *something* in a these discussions
  • Both agree Brady did not like the answer Kraft gave him
But what was Brady asking for? See the quotes below; we get two completely different answers. I can't help but think that "The Dynasty" is a biased towards Kraft & Wickersham's article is biased towards Brady. But you can (re-)read for yourself...

Here's the Seth Wickersham article from Mar 22, 2020: "The story behind the split of Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and the Patriots"

+ the Seth Wickersham article from Jan 5, 2018 "For Kraft, Brady and Belichick, is this the beginning of the end?"

Now let's check the an excerpt from Jeff Benedict's "The Dynasty," from Tom E. Curran...

Sounds like Benedict is giving the version of events according to Kraft's point of view and Wickersham has someone from the Brady camp feeding him info.

Maybe it is just confirmation bias on my end but when I read the lines that Giselle supposedly said they sounded very similar in tone to how she was defending Brady after the second loss to the Giants including the infamous "he can't throw and catch at the same time" bit.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter anyway.

Last edited:
Brady was a magnificent player for NE over such a long period of time. I can’t imagine any QB going so hard, so long, with such amazing success.

I do not think the Brady Patriots of 2020, nor 2021 were going to win the championship. A retooling is necessary to head back to the SB. In that light, a move makes sense for both NE & Brady.

The particulars of bad blood / hurt feelings : can’t say that I care. If this was 2015 - and this second NE dynasty would’ve been derailed - then I’d care much, much more...

Brady was a magnificent player for NE over such a long period of time. I can’t imagine any QB going so hard, so long, with such amazing success.

I do not think the Brady Patriots of 2020, nor 2021 were going to win the championship. A retooling is necessary to head back to the SB. In that light, a move makes sense for both NE & Brady.

The particulars of bad blood / hurt feelings : can’t say that I care. If this was 2015 - and this second NE dynasty would’ve been derailed - then I’d care much, much more...

One thing is for sure. It is Bill roster building mistakes and poor drafting the last few years that lead to a retooling not Brady performance. One feeling I have reading the book is that Brady wanted some input on personnel decision on offense. I can understand that. After 20 years, you have basically an OC playing QB. But Bill would have not of it. Brady wanted to keep Hoyer and D. Thomas last year. The fact that Bill wants to control everything was a great at the beginning, at the end, it caused the end of the dynasty and probably his own demise. Bill has yet to prove he can win without Brady. My take is, he will probably not.

One thing is for sure. It is Bill roster building mistakes and poor drafting the last few years that lead to a retooling not Brady performance. One feeling I have reading the book is that Brady wanted some input on personnel decision on offense. I can understand that. After 20 years, you have basically an OC playing QB. But Bill would have not of it. Brady wanted to keep Hoyer and D. Thomas last year. The fact that Bill wants to control everything was a great at the beginning, at the end, it caused the end of the dynasty and probably his own demise. Bill has yet to prove he can win without Brady. My take is, he will probably not.
Brady, despite two decades, is in no position to make roster decisions. He is a player and should play. Is it his association with Guerrero or Robbins that has you thinking he is smart at gauging others ?

The fact that BB wants to control everything was great at the beginning AND the end ! This is his « Lately »:

2014 champ
2015 AFCCG (was maybe his best recent squad but injuries decimated them)
2016 champ
2017 SB
2018 champ
2019 12-4, first round loss

BB’s worst result in the last six years is a 12-4 division clincher. He won the SB two seasons ago. How the heck is that « doesn’t work » ?

One feeling I have reading the book is that Brady wanted some input on personnel decision on offense. I can understand that.

The idea that Brady thinks he would get input on personnel decisions is laughable and after being here for 20 years I doubt that he'd be deluded enough to think he would have any leverage to demand that.

The fact that Bill wants to control everything was a great at the beginning, at the end, it caused the end of the dynasty and probably his own demise. Bill has yet to prove he can win without Brady.

This **** gets overstated. The Patriots won 2 SBs carried by their defense before Brady was even remotely close to being "Brady". You could even make an argument for splitting the third win because the defense was that good. And then they won another one with a shutdown defensive performance when the offense couldn't move the ball for about 95% of the game.

Absolutely nobody involved with the Pats dynasty over the last 20 years has anything to prove to anybody. Their football epitaphs are already mostly written. What Brady or BB will do in the next years will just be the final 5-10% of that legacy or if they don't win anything just a footnote.

You mean the one where Carolina scores 29 points? I don’t call that carried by there D. you realize with the same D and Bledsoe the patriots would not have been in the playoffs and bill would have been fired!

Brady was the most important piece in this team because he was the leader and he was setting the tone. Brady allowed Bill to do whatever he wants. I think it is fair for the greatest player to ever play the game at 40 years old to have some input into which player to bring on offense. But hey what do I know. you seem to know everything, so I let you prey before Bill picture everynight

11-5 with Cassel
3-1 with JG/Brissett.
What has Brady done without Bill?

The idea that Brady thinks he would get input on personnel decisions is laughable and after being here for 20 years I doubt that he'd be deluded enough to think he would have any leverage to demand that.

This **** gets overstated. The Patriots won 2 SBs carried by their defense before Brady was even remotely close to being "Brady". You could even make an argument for splitting the third win because the defense was that good. And then they won another one with a shutdown defensive performance when the offense couldn't move the ball for about 95% of the game.

Absolutely nobody involved with the Pats dynasty over the last 20 years has anything to prove to anybody. Their football epitaphs are already mostly written. What Brady or BB will do in the next years will just be the final 5-10% of that legacy or if they don't win anything just a footnote.

A lot of the all time greats had dominant Super Bowls in their track record. It’s interesting that the only dominant Super Bowl for Brady in 9 tries was the Eagles loss. In the other games he was either meh or it was a mixed bag.

11-5 with Cassel
3-1 with JG/Brissett.
What has Brady done without Bill?
Bill is 55-61 without Brady in his career. And we will see this year what Brady does without Bill.

Bill is 55-65 without Brady in his career. And we will see this year what Brady does without Bill.

Most of those losses were over 20 years ago. Bill is 14-6 without Brady in the last 15 years. That matters a lot more. If Brady can improve as a QB over that time then why couldn’t Bill improve as a coach?

Bill winning a SB without Brady was much more likely than Brady winning one if Bill wasn’t here.

A lot of the all time greats had dominant Super Bowls in their track record. It’s interesting that the only dominant Super Bowl for Brady in 9 tries was the Eagles loss. In the other games he was either meh or it was a mixed bag.
Yeah he was meh that’s why he was Super Bowl mvp 4 times. Stop saying non sense. He played 9 Super Bowl and in the 9 Super Bowl he gave the patriots the lead in the 4th quarter in the 3 losses Bill defense c**p the bed in the end

Most of those losses were over 20 years ago. Bill is 14-6 without Brady in the last 15 years. That matters a lot more. If Brady can improve as a QB over that time then why couldn’t Bill improve as a coach?

Bill winning a SB without Brady was much more likely than Brady winning one if Bill wasn’t here.

They were 20 years ago and they still count. You just try to ignore it because they don’t support your argument.

They were both very important to the dynasty and at the end Brady wanted to be a little more involved in the decision regarding the O. And I understand why. It’s like Bill forgot there was an O in his team the last three years. Bill want to do it all by himself. Fine, we will see how it goes this year. And before you say the roster is not good. The state of this roster is only the doing of Bill the genius Belichick himself. So if we don’t win this you can’t say it is because Brady was bad. Oh wait, you’ll say it is Cam’s fault or Stidham fault because Bill Belichick can’t do no wrong.

Last edited:
Bill is 55-61 without Brady in his career. And we will see this year what Brady does without Bill.
Yeah, but 36-48 with Cleveland in the 1990's. Believe it or not, coaches, like players, can become better at their jobs than when they were younger.

Add in the 1st year with the Patriots, at 5-11, a season of evaluation really, got rid of a lot of guys after that 2000 season, brought in guys HE wanted in 2001. So since 2001, 14-6 WITHOUT Brady. That's still a .700 win percentage.

Reactions: sb1
i disagree
Put guys like Brees or Manning or Rodgers in their prime on this team. You don’t think Bill could win a SB with them? Really?

Yeah, but 36-48 with Cleveland in the 1990's. Believe it or not, coaches, like players, can become better at their jobs than when they were younger.

Add in the 1st year with the Patriots, at 5-11, a season of evaluation really, got rid of a lot of guys after that 2000 season, brought in guys HE wanted in 2001. So since 2001, 14-6 WITHOUT Brady. That's still a .700 win percentage.

A bunch of those Browns losses were also completely meaningless as it was a dead franchise walking.

They were 20 years ago and they still count. You just try to ignore it because they don’t support your argument.

They were both very important to the dynasty and at the end Brady wanted to be a little more involved in the decision regarding the O. And I understand why. It’s like Bill forgot there was an O in his team the last three years. Bill want to do it all by himself. Fine, we will see how it goes this year. And before you say the roster is not good. The state of this roster is only the doing of Bill the genius Belichick himself. So if we don’t win this you can’t say it is because Brady was bad. Oh wait, you’ll say it is Cam’s fault or Stidham fault because Bill Belichick can’t do no wrong.

they count in the record book but I put a lot more weight on recent history and so does common sense.

If the Patriots are not a good team in 2020 they weren’t going to be much better if at all had Brady stayed. The guy is 43 coming off a subpar season.

we are the Patriots not the Brady Stat Collectors. The team didn’t owe him jack squat. If Tompa Boy didn’t like that too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes