SOURCE:WEEI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Chiefs
Sun
Dec 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Tough Loss
Sunday night's loss in Houston was tough, leaving the Patriots with questions heading into this week's showdown against the Chiefs

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Coming to America!

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Mike the Brit, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,211
    Thanks for the advice. Is it practicable to get satellite in an apartment building? And do you need a dish for Sirius? (Quick look at web-site, suggests "no".)

I like watching soccer, but I'm not addicted and wouldn't mind if it weren't available (I don't have Sky TV here in the UK) but I am pretty keen to have access to the BBC World Service and maybe BBC Radio Four too. I thought that I could get them streamed over the internet, though. If you could get them directly broadcast, I think that would be quite important.

2. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +6,211
    I don't think height is the issue as such -- and even the skiable vertical drop isn't a big deal. Skiing one little lift a dozen times is fantastic if the snow is great. But people have said that skiing in New England is very, very cold and the snow quality isn't wonderful.

Is there a good ski store in Boston to buy equipment and get advice from people? (I'm in two minds whether to bring my equipment over or leave it in Europe for visits and buy new stuff in Boston.)

3. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +6,211
    The Wursthaus I remember, but what was the Tasty?

I went back to the Square last year and took my daughter (then 7 years old) to Bartleys Burger Cottage. It was very much as I remember it.

There were the pennants and bumper stickers all over and we sat at a table with a sticker on the wall next to it saying "Honk if you've had sex with the President".

She read it and said "Daddy, what does 'honk' mean?" so I told her. Then she said "I don't want to have sex with the President. I want to have sex with Elias [her little pal] -- if it works out." ;)

4. Patti37

Patti37 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0
    Skiiing in NE is nothing like skiing the Alps. Snow conditions tend to be icy. Killington (Vermont) and Sunday River (Maine) are two great slopes but they do get crowded. Killington attracts a New York crowd. Both are about 3 hours from Boston. My husband who is a diehard skier and his friends frequent Cannon Mountain (New Hampshire) because they like the challenge (read icy) and because less people go there.

I like Watervalley (New Hampshire) because it offers some casual runs and for the most part doesn't get that crowded.

Also, skiing on the week-end is down right expensive. Week days are usually cheaper and deals are offered. Most mountains offer a reduced cost pass. so if you plan on skiing a lot, this may be a good option.

There is an excellent ski shop in Lincoln, NH but the name escapes me at the moment.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  5. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +6,211
    Thanks very much, Patti.

Yes, cold and icy is about what I heard. Not much prospect of back-country (off-piste) skiing or powder, I suppose? I'll have a go at anything (side-slipping if necessary!) but, since I'll be coming back to Europe in mid-January, I doubt I'll do much more than have a first couple of day-trips to explore.

6. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    go to wellfleet then to marconi beach and enjoy the view.

7. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +11
    It's pretty normal in this country. :)

No.

Yeah I usually stream MUFC matches (mostly League Cup) that aren't on Fox Soccer Channel or PPV, however it takes awhile to sort it all out, you have Chinese commentators, the quality isn't near as good, your liable to attract viruses going into the foreign networks, and well it just isn't like watching a football match on the recliner with the TV volume turned up high. But as you say, you're really not into football like you used to, so in that case, you could do with out FSC, although you're unlikely to get BBC America on cable. The rumours are true, American TV, for the most part, is crap. BBC America is refreshing because it airs many of the popular shows that Brits take for granted.

With Directv you'd have 200 channels as well as plenty of sports packages to choose from, and also access to PayPerView movies and sporting events.
    For basic cable you have about 70 channels and that's it.

8. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +6,211
    Thanks, Seymour. When I lived in the U.S. 25 years ago, it was true that American TV was as you say and U.K. TV was pretty good. The only native U.S. TV show I watched that was really original was Sesame Street -- and I only got to see that the week that I was sick in bed with the 'flu.

Things seem to have changed. British TV is also now almost complete rubbish (thank God for the Internet!). In fact, sport apart, I can only think of one show that I make an effort to watch -- the brilliant new Dr Who. I hope I wouldn't have to buy a satellite package just for that!

9. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,791
    You would need either satellite or Comcast EXTENDED Basic to watch Dr Who since it's on a 'cable channel' (sci-fi) and NOT broadcast over the air.
    But as an additional benefit with sci-fi you get to watch 'Six' and 'Boomer' on season 3 of the new Battlestar Galactica.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  10. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249
    Oh yeah :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  11. Coog548

Coog548 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +1
    you could try zipcars.com for a car. You rent them by the hour or day and they seem to have alot around you.

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23
    The tiny diner between Wursthaus and Out of Town News. We would go there after hours after drinking all night and get shot down by Hahvid girls.

13. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale In the Starting Line-Up Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +5,362
    Eddie Murphy was great in that movie!

Regards,
    Chris

P.S. Got nuthin. Coming up on 15 years since I lived there and a lot has changed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
  14. shakadave

shakadave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +23
    like Michael Strahan