PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts cheatin w/clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClosingTime

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Got this from a Pitt sports reporter:
On the final play of the third quarter, Manning waved the punting unit off the field on fourth-and-2 from the Colts’ 36 after completing an 8-yard pass to James.
The play clock had four seconds remaining at one point, but suddenly went to 22 seconds as Manning scrambled to get the play off. He completed a 13-yard pass to Brandon Stokley for a first down and, two plays later, threw a 50-yard TD pass to tight end Dallas Clark.
No comment was available by the officiating crew on the extra time added to the play clock, but the official game summary shows 1:02 ran off the clock between Manning’s pass to James and the one to Stokley.

Ah well, they lost. So half the football world is right. Of course, the more important half is wrong.

ClosingTime said:
Got this from a Pitt sports reporter:
On the final play of the third quarter, Manning waved the punting unit off the field on fourth-and-2 from the Colts’ 36 after completing an 8-yard pass to James.
The play clock had four seconds remaining at one point, but suddenly went to 22 seconds as Manning scrambled to get the play off. He completed a 13-yard pass to Brandon Stokley for a first down and, two plays later, threw a 50-yard TD pass to tight end Dallas Clark.
No comment was available by the officiating crew on the extra time added to the play clock, but the official game summary shows 1:02 ran off the clock between Manning’s pass to James and the one to Stokley.

Im sorry, but im really dumb. Could you explain that to me? I dont get it...

It wasn't just the play clock, the game clock added time, and I don't remember the refs putting time on it. There were 11 seconds left, and the Colts took a time out. Then all of a sudden when play started again the clock was at 12, and then at 11 again when they took their next time out. I have no idea how much more than 12 it was because I was watching the play at first and not the clock.

But the whole thing was dodgy because the refs basically took that interception away from the Steelers. The ref spent forever under the hood trying to find a way to give it back to the Colts. Not that I like the Steelers, but no way can Manning advance. And the football gods spoke and they were not pleased with the Colts and their weasily ways.

The entire playoffs officiating was off this playoffs. In no way am i calling out "CONSPIRACY." Just bad calls and irresponsability by the refs.

wow

The same type thing happened to NE in Denver. During the first few minutes of the 4th quarter on a drive by the pats----faulk went out of bounds on the far side from the camera. (ran out of bounds, so it wasn't close adn the ref signled to stop the clock) No one noticed but the clock never stopped, but kept running. Little things like this kept happening.

Even more crap out of the officials! I mean how obvious can they be in trying to hand the game to the dolts! They did everything but eject the entire squealer team and PM and company still couldn't pull it out. Face it dolt fans, it may never happen--this was your year and you blew it!!!

The refs in both the NFC games did a good job i thought (although i didn't pay as much attention during the games as i did the afc ones). how is it that you have such bad refs in the afc and good in the nfc---interesting!! It would be nice to let the players decide the game---although next week i think everything will be fine since the dolts are out of it!

Actually there was pretty poor time management by the Colts. With about 2:30 left in the 4th quarter and being chased out of the pocket, instead of throwing the ball away (it was 1st down) he threw a 3yd pass to the middle of the field. The clock kept running and they never got the next play off before the 2 minute warning, wasting 30 seconds when they were driving for a go ahead TD. He would have been better off throwing it away.
I guess that's why he has 25 game winning drives in the 4th quarter but none in the playoffs.....................
Just my $0.02,

I was just in shock that Manning decided to appoint himself HC, OC and Emperor and take over the game himself to even notice it. I was too busy hoping that he would fail on that play.

He totally showed up Dungy. The look on Dungy's face was priceless.

Last edited:
fleabassist1 said:
Im sorry, but im really dumb. Could you explain that to me? I dont get it...

What he is saying is that there was no way that Manning and the Colts waved off the punt team, got to the line, called and ran a play in under 45 seconds. They should have had a delay of game.

Here is the way the clock works:
The time interval on the Play Clock (the time limit the offensive team has to snap the ball between plays) after time outs and other administrative stoppages has been reduced from 30 seconds to 25 seconds (the time interval between plays remains the same at 45 seconds).

For a frame of reference look at the Steelers late drive:
Pittsburgh Steelers at 4:24, (1st play from scrimmage 4:20)
1-10-PIT 19 (4:20) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass to 80-C.Wilson to PIT 19 for no gain (25-N.Harper).
PENALTY on IND-25-N.Harper, Defensive Pass Interference, 9 yards, enforced at PIT 19 - No Play. X21
1-10-PIT 28 (4:15) 36-J.Bettis left tackle to PIT 30 for 2 yards (20-M.Doss).
2-8-PIT 30 (3:32) 36-J.Bettis left tackle to PIT 32 for 2 yards (97-C.Simon, 58-G.Brackett).
3-6-PIT 32 (2:47) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete to 86-H.Ward (25-N.Harper).
4-6-PIT 32 (2:42) 17-C.Gardocki punts 50 yards to IND 18, Center-60-G.Warren. 86-T.Walters MUFFS catch, touched at IND 20, and recovers at IND 20. 86-T.Walters to IND 18 for -2 yards (99-B.Keisel, 29-C.Iwuoma).

4:15 to 3:32 = 43 seconds
3:32 to 2:47 = 45 seconds

Steelers were running the play clock down to the last second to burn time.

Here was the Colts drive when Manning waved off the punt team:

Indianapolis Colts at 1:26, (1st play from scrimmage 1:19)
1-10-IND 28 (1:19) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete to 81-B.Fletcher.
2-10-IND 28 (1:14) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete to 87-R.Wayne (43-T.Polamalu).
3-10-IND 28 (1:08) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass to 32-E.James to IND 36 for 8 yards (28-C.Hope, 53-C.Haggans).
4-2-IND 36 :)06) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass to 83-B.Stokley to IND 49 for 13 yards (26-D.Townsend, 28-C.Hope). P9

1:08 to :06 = 62 seconds. No time out and no delay of game. Not possible

ya

Patsfanin Philly said:
Actually there was pretty poor time management by the Colts. With about 2:30 left in the 4th quarter and being chased out of the pocket, instead of throwing the ball away (it was 1st down) he threw a 3yd pass to the middle of the field. The clock kept running and they never got the next play off before the 2 minute warning, wasting 30 seconds when they were driving for a go ahead TD. He would have been better off throwing it away.
I guess that's why he has 25 game winning drives in the 4th quarter but none in the playoffs.....................
Just my $0.02,

What was really weird is that PM seemed to forget about the clock. He lined everyone up to run a play and then kept walking around and doing his thing with the clock running down and then they blew the whistle for the 2.00 warning and he looked shocked that it happened!

Who knows,,,and who cares at this point i guess!

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say the league really wanted the Colts to get to the Super Bowl this year. From the cream-puff schedule to the favorable calls to the "point of emphasis" last year, Everything seemed to go the Colts way, even when it was highly improbably. But I'm not a conspiracy theorist, so I'm sure it's all pure coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots