SOURCE:ProFootballTalk.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Steelers
Sun
Dec 16th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Shocking Ending
Sunday's loss in Miami was shocking and will likely have the Patriots doing some second-guessing this week.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Colts blow out Titans... Lol

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by Coolade2, Nov 19, 2018.

1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Josh Gordon's locker is next to Brady's. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41,773
    Those were the games they explicitly employed the strategy in question. You’re more than welcome to provide an X’s and O’s breakdown of why I’m wrong, though. Or we can just suffice it to say that you don’t have much of a counter to this and just let it be. Either way, I’m game since I realistically don’t think that you can sit there and say that contain without an emphasis on rushing the passer paired with heavy zone concepts is an optimal way to attack an offense in a league that’s so heavily slanted toward the passing game. Or are you willing to say that you think that’s an optimal strategy? Good luck getting out of that corner.

2. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,397
    I just looked up the Patriots record vs Luck and Tyrod Taylor. We are 10-1 vs those 2 mobile QBs. Plenty of lopsided scores too.

3. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +41,773
    They have rarely sat back against those two and, against Luck in particular, they have usually pressed his receivers at the LoS and went man to man. I can only think of one time where they employed the game plan in question against Taylor and that was in the first 2015 contest but, again, you're more than welcome to provide the X's and O's and correct me where I'm wrong.

4. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +8,397
    Hahaha so you only hate the game plan against mobile QBs when they lose. Got it.

5. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +41,773
    Two straw man arguments and one red herring from you now. If that's what you think I'm arguing here, then you're lost. I hate game plans where there's an overly cautious emphasis on contain instead of speeding up a QB's internal clock... especially one that's prone to turnovers when it happens. I hate game plans where the secondary plays straight Cover-3 and Cover-4 throughout to keep all eyes trained on the QB in case there is an off chance that he scrambles without mixing up the coverages. It has zero to do with winning or losing which is why I've included games that they've actually won in the mix when evaluating said games. At this point, you're waving the white flag. Let it go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. signbabybrady

Ratings:
    +8,397
    My bad you're right they never used cover 3 or 4 in those 10 games.

7. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +41,773
    Against those two, and especially Luck, they tossed a lot more Cover-1 (usually with a robber) and Cover-2 than they have in any of the contests I've named. The only time I recall them leaning heavily on Cover-3 and Cover-4 designs was the first time they played him in 2012 but that could be more or less based on the fact that it was Talib's first game with the team.

They seemed to wise up against Taylor after the first contest in 2015 and attacked him a lot like they attacked Trubisky throughout portions of the Bears contest this season.

[​IMG]

8. Coolade2

Coolade2 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +438
    Whatever the defense called there are disguised aggressive options that are spun into the mix. Patriots get burned like any defense when they get too predictable... Or and this is the unfortunate fact .. that opposing QB gets very comfortable and starts dropping perfect balls into receivers hands in stride. Perfect passes are almost impossible to defend so you hope that during the first 3 seconds of any play you create confusion or discomfort for a QB. However good QBs and OCs will still execute their share of plays.. this is also just fact you accept. But just keep battling. So I try to monitor compete level.. and fight. and play makers.. Not just scheme or formation.

This comes back to complimentary football where offense must out perform the opposing offense. Some days it doesn't happen as a combination of lack of plays made on both sides... But just hope it doesn't happen too often. Like last game. yuck.. 2 weeks to fix that.:cool:

• Useful Useful x 1