SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Browns
Sun
Oct 27th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Completely Spooked
The Patriots absolutely spooked Sam Darnold Monday night as they improved to 7-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Chris Long offers symbolic gesture on anthem controversy

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by long distance, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly NFL Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +32,647
    ---

Well that won't end well.

2. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +5,389
    ---
    [​IMG]

3. Simpelton

Simpelton In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,590
    ---
    Ehh. Never attribute to conspiracy what you can blame on collective self-interest. Kaepernick is simply not talented enough to be guaranteed a starting gig on the NFL, and if you are a quarterback and not a starter the absolute last thing you can afford to be is controversial.

If that's blackballing, and it isn't, then tebow was also blackballed, and he wasn't. Quarterbacks either stand out or sit down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. h0c2000

h0c2000 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +753
    ---
    [​IMG]
    altaVista baby

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Schmo

Schmo 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,511
    ---
    Pats fans: "We don't care about Chris Long's personal feelings on this issue!"

Also pats fans: "We need a better explanation for Chris Long's personal feelings for why he left!"

Also pats fans: "I read the title and cared enough to comment about how little I care about this!"

Man, some people put WAY too much effort into apathy.

6. YOUGOTMOSSED

YOUGOTMOSSED In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,911
    ---
    Back in the 80's, it was "free Nelson Mandela!" Now it's "sign Kaepernick to a training camp roster!"?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +448
    ---
    Wait? So, you're saying it was NE who choose not to re-sign Long? But...if Long never got an offer, then wouldn't that absolve Long of your inference of leaving NE for the money?

Even if NE really didn't want to bring him back, I wouldn't be surprised. He's not an ideal fit. Either way, the article that you linked to points out that Long himself wasn't sure, and made that statement to not string along NE in any contract discussion:

“And I don’t know if they wanted me back or not, but it was one of those things where it’s like, I have too much respect for that organization to waste their time and go back and forth in negotiations or not tell them that I was planning on moving on. I have too much respect for them. It wasn’t a big deal that I was moving on for them. They’ll be just fine. But for me as a man, I just think I would hate to string them along, even if I was just depth at a position or just a piece of the puzzle."

Read more at: Chris Long Opens Up About Leaving Patriots, Reveals Future NFL Plans

The article you cited brings up this point, with a link in the text, that points out how his playing time fell to 33 percent in the playoffs. Which he also pointed out in his twitter post when someone brought up the same point you just did:

...but in that very same quote he further explains:

“Most of the year I played inside, played on the right side. I played on the left side my whole career. And that’s not a big deal. But if I’m going to keep playing at my age, I still have a fire burning to be the type of player I want to be. And I think at my age, playing three-technique, doing those things, I’m happy to do all the dirty work things, but eventually if I’m going to be me and get back to where I was, just for a year or two even, I had to go elsewhere....

...“So, that’s kind of why I said I need to move on. If I’m going to keep playing football, I’m not going to do certain things that I was doing there. I was happy to do them this year, but hey, I’m a year older. If I want to keep playing, I’ve got to do certain things differently.”

So, yeah. It's a pretty honest and clear answer. Again, nothing wrong with him trying to get back to his personal best on another team that suits this skill set.

"This has zero to do with money, etc. It's the right move in my heart because I want to get back to being the player I was before. I'm thankful for my role this year, but as a competitor, I'm itching to do what I do best."

The "player I was before" didn't do what NE had him do. The role he played in NE is not what he does best. And if he left because NE never gave him an offer, then I think NE feels the same way about how he fits into the system.

8. mosslost

mosslost Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +7,238
    ---
    I hope the NFL takes their ball and goes home before bowing to such horse sh1t

9. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72,713
    ---
    Good post but you missed my main points altogether.

Long never received an offer to stay here.

He claims he needs to find a scheme to extend his career but doesn't want to be a part timer.

Kinda curious logic

10. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +448
    ---
    See, now, you are just parsing his words and removing the main point he's expressed repeatedly: his desire to get back to playing his very best. That's his main goal. He's not simply extending his career just for the sake of it. He wants to go back to playing his best. That's why he wanted to find a system that's the best fit for his own skill set. That's why he doesn't want to be a situational player, either. That's why he left NE.

See, he is expressing more than one thought, here. And these thoughts, though different, are not mutually exclusive. It's not the "heads or tails" that you are implying. He he can absolutely express a desire to play as long as he can...his way. And since he expresses these thoughts, all at once (within the same sentence, at that), it's not like he contradicted himself either. Instead, he clearly specifies what he's looking for, if he's going to keep playing the game:

...“So, that’s kind of why I said I need to move on. If I’m going to keep playing football, I’m not going to do certain things that I was doing there. I was happy to do them this year, but hey, I’m a year older. If I want to keep playing, I’ve got to do certain things differently.”

Ok, but you previously suggested that Long left New England for more money. Then, after I pointed out that Long is playing for less money this year; You then replied to this point by claiming NE never offered him any contract at all.

But wait? If NE never offered Long a contract...then Long didn't leave NE for more money. So, you are completely contradicting your own suggestions. And these two points are mutually exclusive. It's either heads or tails. Seriously, re-read you posts:

"I still don't 100% buy what Long gave for his reasons for leaving. Not liking how he was used is a good reason but for that to be the sole reason doesn't make sense to me"

"Dead serious.

I highly doubt there was a "problem" anywhere of with anyone . Could have been money-related . Not sure"

Well, its kinda about the money as NE never made Long an offer.

You just jumped to a conclusion that contradicted the very thought you expressed in the previous post.

I'm gonna leave that one alone...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  11. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72,713
    ---
    I'm not contradicting myself at all.

I did suggest he may have left for the money and as I refreshed my memory, turns out he was never offered a deal here.

If a player was never offered a contract by one team and leaves for a place that will pay him, by default the player left for the money.

Look, I think Long left for multiple reasons with two of them being pride and money.

• Agree Agree x 1