PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Long interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Found this interesting. Says all the right things.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/chrislong/chrislong.html

He's a bit of a tweener in our system, but I wonder if BB could turn him into a run stuffer...? I wonder if BB would be willing to invest a year or two in a top-5 pick, to teach him a new position...? More likely would be to draft him as a DE.

Found this interesting. Says all the right things.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/chrislong/chrislong.html

He's a bit of a tweener in our system, but I wonder if BB could turn him into a run stuffer...? I wonder if BB would be willing to invest a year or two in a top-5 pick, to teach him a new position...? More likely would be to draft him as a DE.

If he can legitimately run a 4.7, and times well with short-area quickness, I can absolutely see him blowing up guards at ILB. He's much more athletically gifted than Ted Johnson ever was, or Tedy Bruschi is at this stage of his career. It's not his game, but it would be cool if he could learn and give us shades of Levon Kirkland.

If he can legitimately run a 4.7, and times well with short-area quickness, I can absolutely see him blowing up guards at ILB. He's much more athletically gifted than Ted Johnson ever was, or Tedy Bruschi is at this stage of his career. It's not his game, but it would be cool if he could learn and give us shades of Levon Kirkland.

OLB would suit him much more if he measures up at the combine in the VJ and agility drills. He could still play with his hand down occasionally, and use his strength vs. the run to set the edge. I'm sure he could drop to 270 and improve his speed and quickness.

Last edited:
6'4 280. Is he a Klecko tweener, or can he be converted to OLB in the Pats system? That's the real question.

Last edited:
I can't see Long as an OLB. I can see him beefed up to 290 or so and playing the Jarvis Green role.

Jarvis isn't 290, either, so that's not an obstacle in itself.

But, do you spend a top-5 pick on a guy who you project exclusively as a 3rd down pass rusher in your system? He'll need to prove he can beat an OT against the run-- and for that it helps to be 300#s.

Adalius and Bruschi and Vrabel and Colvin had college careers not dissimilar to CLong. Does he have the gray matter to make the change work?

Klecko had all the intangibles but still struggled to make the switch. Granted, Klecko is 5'10 and Long is 6'4-- which changes things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing