Chris Gocong, DE Cal Poly could be the next Tedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
We had a tread on him the other day but it disappeared into the neverlands of the interent. Someone said that the Pats had him in for a workout. Check him out:
http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showprospect.php?key=Chris Gocong

Here are he stats from his senior year:
in 13 games he had 98 total tackles, including 31.5 for a loss, of them 23.5 were sacks. He is an Engineering major and at 6' 2" 263 with a 4.7 40 yrd dash, he is screaming Middle LB, a nice project for a 6th rd pick.

If you don't still think he can fit in the Pats system, look who else is studying him:
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/news/arts/5159.0.html

Looks like a real nice day 2 guy.

If you want him, you take him first day. I'm actually higher on this kid then Manny Lawson, and I think Lawson will be a 3-4 OLB to contend with. Of the kids I watched in the All-Star games, these two had the best nose for the ball, getting one of them is my draft priority, and I like Gocong because he has the QB/LB/NT/DE background, the numbers, and the Tedy-like impression he made at the All-Star game and the Combine.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'm actually higher on this kid then Manny Lawson, and I think Lawson will be a 3-4 OLB to contend with.
This is the year we'll restock LB. I want to see a first round LB (Lawson, Carpenter or Greenway) and a third round LB like Gocong or the like. After the really old LB crew of Tedy, Willie, TJ and Phifer, we'd actually be young at LB if we did this with only Tedy getting old and Vrabel just touching 30.

FreeTedWilliams said:
If you don't still think he can fit in the Pats system, look who else is studying him:
The beauty of it is, for this guy or others, the Patriots draft ahead of Crennel and Saban in rounds 3, 4, 5 and ahead of Mangini in round 5. Short of having an extra #1, Belioli has set us up beautifully this year. Having an extra 3, 4, 5 is just awesome the more you look at the depth of this draft.

Box_O_Rocks said:
If you want him, you take him first day. I'm actually higher on this kid then Manny Lawson, and I think Lawson will be a 3-4 OLB to contend with. Of the kids I watched in the All-Star games, these two had the best nose for the ball, getting one of them is my draft priority, and I like Gocong because he has the QB/LB/NT/DE background, the numbers, and the Tedy-like impression he made at the All-Star game and the Combine.

I think day 1 is too early, but if he is there on Day 2 (and I expect him to be), we grab him with one of our 4th round picks.

CoachK said:
I think day 1 is too early, but if he is there on Day 2 (and I expect him to be), we grab him with one of our 4th round picks.
As long as we get him, I like what this kid brings to the game. And he can work with the trainers designing prosthetic devices for the sick, lame, and lazy in his off time.

Cocong ? YES!

BelichickFan said:
This is the year we'll restock LB. I want to see a first round LB (Lawson, Carpenter or Greenway) and a third round LB like Gocong or the like. After the really old LB crew of Tedy, Willie, TJ and Phifer, we'd actually be young at LB if we did this with only Tedy getting old and Vrabel just touching 30.

My feeling exactly and I wanted CoCong ever since I saw him at the combine I had him targeted with a round four pick, but maybe we'll move him up into the third.

People saythe Pats will draft a couple of LBs this year; I want to point out that the Pats have lost a) Phifer, b) TJ, c) Mcginest, d) Chatham and e) Brown in the last 12 months.
That adds up to more than "a couple" and aslo includes, Three Starters! I think we stock the larder and it will be more than a couple in my opinion.

Especially as we are full up in several other squad categories, like DL and OL.

AzPatsFan said:
People saythe Pats will draft a couple of LBs this year; I want to point out that the Pats have lost a) Phifer, b) TJ, c) Mcginest, d) Chatham and e) Brown in the last 12 months.
But we've also added Beisel and Claridge. Whether they stick (and Beisel is a FA in 12 months), who knows, but based on how last season ended we only need two (McGinest, Brown, Chatham gone, Claridge added - if he makes the team).

This could be a monster year of transtion for the LB if Beisel and Claridge don't make it.

Cogong will be gone day one no question. The guy has over 31 sacks in 2 seasons and regardless of what division he was in that is extremely productive.

Yes he was very productive the last two year's in school (and he's super intelligent with great character traits) , but that was against less than steller talent. However he did not look out of place in the all star game. If this kid had a little more explosion, I'd take him on day 1. But because he's not as "sudden" as the Pats need an ILB to be, I think we can bag him on Day 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes