PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics Off-Season Possibilities

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Just making a thread now that the 2012-13 season is over, for off-season thoughts, ideas, and also team moves.

Here are mind:
1. There is no way Doc can come back to this team after trying to leave. He will lose the respect of players who know he tried to ditch them.
2. The Celtics and Ainge are rightly and smartly trying to get something instead of nothing for Garnett and Pierce. Both players are right on the edge of either falling apart as players or retiring, so now is the time to trade them to get at least some assets back.
3. More than any time in his career, this will be Rondo's team next season and I'm hoping he can work on getting his mid-range jumper working so that he becomes a little more of an offensive weapon. All his extra 3-4 assists per game he used to get passing to Ray Allen, Pierce, and Garnett for easy knock down jumpers will no longer be there anymore.

The Cs need to draft a scorer. Still pissed about passing over Marshawn Brooks for that scrub JJ

The team needs a spark, and also for Fab Melo to show up.

What's your starting line up next year? We have Green, Rondo, and Bradley as locks at their spots.

Sully, Melo, and Crawford ought to compete for time. I've never really liked Bass tbh.

The Cs need to draft a scorer. Still pissed about passing over Marshawn Brooks for that scrub JJ

The team needs a spark, and also for Fab Melo to show up.

What's your starting line up next year? We have Green, Rondo, and Bradley as locks at their spots.

Sully, Melo, and Crawford ought to compete for time. I've never really liked Bass tbh.

Fab seems like a developmental project. If they do the Garnett trade then DeAndre Jorden will be the center. So, you'd have a starting lineup of:
Rondo
Bradley
Green
Bass
Jordan

Bass is the weakest link, they could really upgrade there. Also, Rondo needs a shooter off the bench since the current lineup doesn't really have a lot of offense.

Brian Shaw joined the Nuggets. I was really hoping Shaw would be the next Celtics head coach. He won a few rings in LA with Phi Jackson, has a real solid understanding of defense and making players better. He has been Indiana's main assistant coach the past 2 years and they made huge leaps in improvement the past two years. Hibbert, Paul George, and George Hill became really good players.

Celtics 2013 Season - Starting with the Draft.

I am seriously hoping this trade goes down - Jason Terry blows.

The guys we will be getting suck enough to get us in the lottery.

Sources -- Brooklyn Nets seek trade for Boston Celtics' Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce - ESPN Boston
The Brooklyn Nets, in their latest ambitious move, are trying to reach an agreement in principle on trade parameters with the Boston Celtics that would enable Brooklyn to land Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, sources confirmed to ESPN.

According to a Yahoo! Sports report, Brooklyn has agreed to send three first-round picks (2014, '16 and '18) along with Kris Humphries' expiring contract, Gerald Wallace, Tornike Shengalia, Reggie Evans and a sign-and-traded Keith Bogans to the Celtics for Pierce, Garnett and Jason Terry. By agreeing to add Terry to the trade, sources said, Brooklyn alleviated some of Boston's concerns about absorbing the remaining three years and $30 million on Wallace's contract.

Sources told ESPN.com that the sides are trying to reach an agreement by the end of Thursday night.

Last edited:
I must admit, I am excited by the potential rebuild Ainge is looking to orchestrate. There's no other way to get back to the mountain top than to start from the bottom.

I must admit, I am excited by the potential rebuild Ainge is looking to orchestrate. There's no other way to get back to the mountain top than to start from the bottom.

Ainge is doing what has to be done. I think he's a great GM. People forget just how bad the team was and how bad the cap and contracts were when he joined. He then made multiple good draft picks, developed them, and flipped them for the Big Three and went to the Finals twice in the past 5 years.

Sources -- Boston Celtics, Brooklyn Nets agree to Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce deal - ESPN

Getting three 1st rounders will help and also getting rid of some bad contracts like Terry's will help rebuild a lot faster. Pierce and Garnett basically only had 1 year left anyways before their skills fell off or they retired.

Great trade by Ainge imo. To get three 1st round picks for a pair of players over 35 years old, is a coupe. The only suck is taking Gerald Wallace's contract back, but it's the price you have to pay unfortunately. I would have liked to have seen Marshon Brooks be involved, but my guess is that to get the 3 picks, you had to leave the Nets with some young talent. The best part is that the 2 picks in '16 and '18 are unprotected. The Nets could be ok in 2016, but in 2018 they should suck. It's a risk, but to now have four 1st round picks in 4 of the next 5 drafts is awesome when you're attempting a rebuild. Plus it's really win-win all around since Doc gets to coach a competitive team, while KG & PP not only get to play together to close out their careers, but they also get a shot to win on a talented Brooklyn team. Great week for everyone involved.

I agree its a excellent trade. but im having a hard time getting excited about it. its going to be hard to see kg and pp in another uniform. rebuilding blows . its something you have to do but it blows. some teams are stuck in rebuild mode year after year after year. in danny we trust. man what a ****ty couple of weeks in boston sports.

This trade has me somewhat confounded, and makes me realize how much I do not understand the NBA anymore.. how you do this whole rebuilding effort is above my paygrade.

I guess the Celts decided they wanted some size to protect the rim....They trade up and get Olynyk and trade to get another 7 footer in the second round plus getting Fab Melo last season....If we can get production from 2 of the 3 then that should be solid with Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger and then the guys we get from the Nets, Wallace is decent and Humphries if we don't buy out these guys and keep them this season....It won't be a playoff season but it may be an ok and fun season to watch.....

I hope they're brutal. Not brutal as in lose by 20 every game, but brutal in that they can keep the games close, but only win 20 on the season. You want to be in the top 3-5 of the lottery in 2014. Wiggins aside, there are some all-star caliber talents in next years draft, akin to the 2003 draft that had Lebron, DWade, Bosh, Carmelo, etc. in it. Wiggins isn't a Lebron, but he's a franchise altering talent according to evaluators. Tank Celtics. Don't end up a 10 seed with the 12th pick in the draft. Suck and lock yourself into a top 5 draft position.

I don't think that there's any way that the Celtics are going to be worse than the likes of the Magic or the Bobcats, for example. Even if they tank the season. If you want to have a real shot at the lottery, you would have to dump Rondo as well.

As for the trade, it works out well for both sides. Celtics robbed the Nets for the first rounders for a couple of guys that have a year or two at most of competitive play left. Very good for the rebuilding process that Ainge will oversee. For the Nets, KG and Pierce coupled with Williams should make an interesting combination offensively and improve the Nets defensively. They'll also ensure that Nets/Knicks games are must see TV.

Forget the Knicks, if healthy the Nets are one team that can make things interesting in the east for the Heat. A starting 5 of Pierce, Garnett, Williams, Lopez, and Johnson?

I'm not happy Pierce and Garnett are gone. I wanted to see both of them finish their careers in green, especially Pierce, but I'm happy for both of them that they get to finish their careers together and with an outside chance at a ring.

As for the Celtics, this is the Pitino era all over again now.

In my opinion, they will probably have to trade Rondo. I would love to hear others opinions but i doubt Rondo wants any part of a rebuilidng process.

9 First Round Draft picks over the next 5 years Celtics fans. 9! Let's see what plan Ainge has hatched. The tank job has me engaged, interested and intrigued.

With Sully out for the year it will be such for Wiggins !

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back