PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS ranks coaches, no wonder NE is so successful

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s Brady. You could be the best coach with the best schemes, but you’re ineffective if your players stink.

BB was 5-13 before Brady took over and started this dynasty. Brady has always been the driving force behind their success.
BB drafted, developed, signed and played Tom in a program/offense in which he could flourish. BB owns the culture, coaching, strategy and personnel.

To say BB sucks without Tom is unfair.

Last edited:
As much as I hate him, John Harbaugh is the clear #2. Dude has never had a great QB and still is in playoff contention every year, and the Ravens are a really tough out in the playoffs due to his game planning. Every other guy near the top of the list has a perennial pro bowl QB. Last year I would have put Reid there, but I’ve seen the Reid thing too many times now. His poor big game decisions/clock management are just part of his fabric, even though he’s a heck of a coach. Belichick, Harbaugh, Reid, in that order. No one else stands out to me.
Here is Harbaughs record.
11 seasons 7 playoff berths
1 championship
6 playoff wins on the other 10 years (10-6 overall)

The most negative part of his record is that in the last 4 years he’s gone 32-32 and only made the playoffs once, and was one and done.

In the last 6 he is 50-46 only made the playoffs twice and only has 1 post season win.

First 5 years
54-26
Made the playoffs every year, went 9-4 in post season and won a SB.

First 5 years vs last 6 years look strikingly different.

BB was 5-13 before Brady took over and started this dynasty. Brady has always been the driving force behind their success.

One might argue BB inherited a 2000 roster with bad contracts he was locked into. Salary Cap hell. Most of his changes were in place by 2001.

The roster built on top of BB's core group of players (including convincing Ozzie Newsome to draft Ray Lewis) won the Super Bowl in 2000. To take it a step further Bill recommended his former player Ozzie Newsome to become GM to Art Model

Last edited:
I clearly think Brady is the GOAT, but they think what many miss is that Brady understood from day 1 that his route to the starters job was to see the game the same way Belichick sees the game, and to make the decisions on each play the same way Belichick would. They have worked together for almost 20 years and no QB makes better decisions with the ball than Brady. Juxtapose this to Bledsoe’s mantra, which was “ just Huck it, and you understand why Bledsoe was doomed in NE, and why Brady has been so successful. Both would have been successful with the proper chance, but neither may have had that chance had they not won together almost from the beginning.

The mental toughness factor too. I’ve never see a QB ballsy enough to attempt many of Brady’s passes while staring elimination in the face.

Give credit to the players. There’s no sport where you have such a massive coaching advantage that the players don’t matter much. As a coach/GM he is the best ever at putting players in position to win. But there’s no way this team is just as successful with anyone other than Brady.

You're missing my point if you think I'm saying Tom Brady is not great.

The mental toughness factor too. I’ve never see a QB ballsy enough to attempt many of Brady’s passes while staring elimination in the face.

I’m not suggesting Belichick is responsible for Brady’s Unreal clutch abilities but I do think the singular focus both have, as well as the understanding between them makes it work perfectly. One of the qualities Brady has perfected as a QB is his ability to run games so as to choke out opponents ability to come back, his ability to manage the clock and make key plays to keep drives going puts all the onus on opponents to perform perfectly to come back, and it’s reflected in his record when leading at the half or starting the 4th quarter. People always look at passing yards and TD passes, but it’s all those important intangibles that really add up to him becoming the GOAT.

Here is Harbaughs record.
11 seasons 7 playoff berths
1 championship
6 playoff wins on the other 10 years (10-6 overall)

The most negative part of his record is that in the last 4 years he’s gone 32-32 and only made the playoffs once, and was one and done.

In the last 6 he is 50-46 only made the playoffs twice and only has 1 post season win.

First 5 years
54-26
Made the playoffs every year, went 9-4 in post season and won a SB.

First 5 years vs last 6 years look strikingly different.

I would just say Flacco is way below “average Joe” level. His stats would be average in the 1980s. He sucks though like any QB will have an occasional hot streak.

Neither Belichick nor Brady would be anywhere near where they are now without each other. Same deal with Walsh/Montana, Johnson/Aikman, Lombardi/Starr, or Noll/Bradshaw.

I would just say Flacco is way below “average Joe” level. His stats would be average in the 1980s. He sucks though like any QB will have an occasional hot streak.
I suppose it’s a consideration. I also think over an 11 year period who you have/had doesn’t mean so much. If Flacco was that bad he should have replaced him earlier. Also he was handed a load of talent on defense, the ol and the running game. I don’t think those things diminish the good either.
To me when you take over a team the first couple years are a hand that is dealt to you (as far as limitations or making it easier to succeed) but in the long run it’s what you build. After a period of time you are your results. That how I see it at least.

I suppose it’s a consideration. I also think over an 11 year period who you have/had doesn’t mean so much. If Flacco was that bad he should have replaced him earlier. Also he was handed a load of talent on defense, the ol and the running game. I don’t think those things diminish the good either.
To me when you take over a team the first couple years are a hand that is dealt to you (as far as limitations or making it easier to succeed) but in the long run it’s what you build. After a period of time you are your results. That how I see it at least.

Great coach...maybe not such a great talent evaluator. Everyone knew that contract was a huge disaster waiting to happen.

Great coach...maybe not such a great talent evaluator. Everyone knew that contract was a huge disaster waiting to happen.
I always lean heavy on results and put less stock in opinions about how much is who’s fault or credit.
That’s just me, I know it’s popular to try to assign blame or credit, I’m just not into that.

Land_Of_Make_Believe.jpg

Let's pretend in the year 2000 the GB Packers had Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady on their roster. and the New England Patriots had Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers (remember pretend land). The coaching staffs and rosters (with the exception of the 4 above) for both teams are the same as they were before we went to make believe land.

Which organization wins the most championships in this span? My answer is the New England Patriots.

View attachment 23682

Let's pretend in the year 2000 the GB Packers had Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady on their roster. and the New England Patriots had Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers (remember pretend land). The coaching staffs and rosters (with the exception of the 4 above) for both teams are the same as they were before we went to make believe land.

Which organization wins the most championships in this span? My answer is the New England Patriots.
God I can't wait for camp to start....

Agreed. Love TB12 as much or more than anyone. But if BB is the coach of Indy, GB or NO over the last 19 years, and has an owner that isn't involved in football operation, that team wins at a rate the Pats have over the same span. And it's not all about the on field X's & O's (as great as that is), it's also the overall leadership and decision making 'process' (not going to use the 'S' word). Some underestimate the consistent value BB demands and maintains off field.

You're missing my point if you think I'm saying Tom Brady is not great.

They would just as well with Manning/Luck, Favre/Rodgers, or Brees?

View attachment 23682

Interesting post, and I think you are right, in part because I don’t think Brady ever would have gotten the opportunity Belichick entrusted him with. If Green Bay has just given Bledsoe the first 100 million deal there is no way Brady gets a shot, even if Mo Lewis went all the way to Green Bay to make the hit.

They would just as well with Manning/Luck, Favre/Rodgers, or Brees?

I don’t think so, with the others there was always high rd picks, Brady was a 6th rd pick taking the job away from a 100 million dollar 1st overall pick. That doesn’t happen often.

Interesting post, and I think you are right, in part because I don’t think Brady ever would have gotten the opportunity Belichick entrusted him with. If Green Bay has just given Bledsoe the first 100 million deal there is no way Brady gets a shot, even if Mo Lewis went all the way to Green Bay to make the hit.

That certainly played into my reasoning. Mike Sherman would not have had the balls to play a 3rd string QB (Brady) over 2nd stringer Doug Pederson. And even if he did, Bledsoe would have had his job back as soon as he was healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes