PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cardinals cellphone breaks

peoples need times for spacebook and my face, twitting and such. gotta keep in touch with their followers, ya no.

This does not bode well for their win total in 2019, IMO.

The continuing saga of the Az. Cardinals continues, in 40 years they will rival the NYJ incompetence.. why anyone thought he would be a good HC is beyond me.. then he will complain how the players lost their focus in a game. Duh???

The continuing saga of the Az. Cardinals continues, in 40 years they will rival the NYJ incompetence.. why anyone thought he would be a good HC is beyond me.. then he will complain how the players lost their focus in a game. Duh???
Or, worst still, not think losing focus in a game is a big deal...

it's a simple concept that doesn't need to be overthought.......if the owner wants a winning team, he will back the coach when it's time to make an example of a few players......otherwise, nothing will change......you're making excuses

No, I'm giving you an explanation of why a softer line can work better than a hard line sometimes. My grubby little call center shifted its policy and became less rigid, and as a result the atmosphere became more laid back, instead of dreading the super over your shoulder we were a community all facing the same irritating people together and most of the workers felt I had their backs... it created an environment that helped counter the stress people were encountering on the job.

If we had added the stress of rigid enforcement to the stress that call centers naturally generate, we would have had an exodus, as it was we were constantly replacing people who got burnt out or broke one of the cardinal rules (record what people say exactly, don't fake a complete by entering in answers a respondent didn't say, don't be rude to the respondents even when they're being total asshats, etc).

Now this doesn't always work but in our situation, with a lot of young college student aged workers, it was the correct decision to ease back on the devices and let people have their distractions between calls. The alternative would have destroyed us.

.....people don't look at their cell phones during meetings where I work....in fact, there are no chairs in the conference rooms where I work so meetings are never longer than they need to be and if anyone is not paying attention in that short time, they look really bad

That must be nice for you. As for me that would be hell, I have a bad knee, I can't stand comfortably for more than 5 minutes at a time. Which is fine for a desk job but a standing meeting would be painful. It sounds to me like this policy would violate a couple ADA regulations in my case.

When Steve Jobs was running Apple, he was known to call journalists to either pat them on the back for a recent article or, more often than not, explain how they got it wrong. I was on the receiving end of a few of those calls. But nothing shocked me more than something Mr. Jobs said to me in late 2010 after he had finished chewing me out for something I had written about an iPad shortcoming.

“So, your kids must love the iPad?” I asked Mr. Jobs, trying to change the subject. The company’s first tablet was just hitting the shelves. “They haven’t used it,” he told me. “We limit how much technology our kids use at home.”

I’m sure I responded with a gasp and dumbfounded silence. I had imagined the Jobs’s household was like a nerd’s paradise: that the walls were giant touch screens, the dining table was made from tiles of iPads and that iPods were handed out to guests like chocolates on a pillow.

Nope, Mr. Jobs told me, not even close.

I was perplexed by this parenting style. After all, most parents seem to take the opposite approach, letting their children bathe in the glow of tablets, smartphones and computers, day and night.

Yet these tech C.E.O.’s seem to know something that the rest of us don’t.

Chris Anderson, the former editor of Wired and now chief executive of 3D Robotics, a drone maker, has instituted time limits and parental controls on every device in his home. “My kids accuse me and my wife of being fascists and overly concerned about tech, and they say that none of their friends have the same rules,” he said of his five children, 6 to 17. “That’s because we have seen the dangers of technology firsthand. I’ve seen it in myself, I don’t want to see that happen to my kids.”

I never asked Mr. Jobs what his children did instead of using the gadgets he built, so I reached out to Walter Isaacson, the author of “Steve Jobs,” who spent a lot of time at their home.

“Every evening Steve made a point of having dinner at the big long table in their kitchen, discussing books and history and a variety of things,” he said. “No one ever pulled out an iPad or computer. The kids did not seem addicted at all to devices.”

No, I'm giving you an explanation of why a softer line can work better than a hard line sometimes. My grubby little call center shifted its policy and became less rigid, and as a result the atmosphere became more laid back, instead of dreading the super over your shoulder we were a community all facing the same irritating people together and most of the workers felt I had their backs... it created an environment that helped counter the stress people were encountering on the job.

If we had added the stress of rigid enforcement to the stress that call centers naturally generate, we would have had an exodus, as it was we were constantly replacing people who got burnt out or broke one of the cardinal rules (record what people say exactly, don't fake a complete by entering in answers a respondent didn't say, don't be rude to the respondents even when they're being total asshats, etc).

Now this doesn't always work but in our situation, with a lot of young college student aged workers, it was the correct decision to ease back on the devices and let people have their distractions between calls. The alternative would have destroyed us.

That must be nice for you. As for me that would be hell, I have a bad knee, I can't stand comfortably for more than 5 minutes at a time. Which is fine for a desk job but a standing meeting would be painful. It sounds to me like this policy would violate a couple ADA regulations in my case.

interrupting meetings is unacceptable.......does BB actually allow cellphone distraction in his meeting? I doubt it.

as for meetings at my work, I'm not sure if you've heard of the concept, but some people call into the meeting be it from their office, their car, or even their homes.....It sound to me like you don't think things through

interrupting meetings is unacceptable.......does BB actually allow cellphone distraction in his meeting? I doubt it.

Who said anything about meetings? What I'm saying is that a good leader sometimes picks his battles.

Besides, doesn't it make even more sense to go with the flow and use the mobile devices themselves as part of the process of the meeting? Cell phones are not automatically the enemy. There are a TON of mobile productivity tools that can make smarphones a key component of meetings and presentations rather than a distraction.

Heck going back to the football mindframe I just posted a link to one a few pages back that does animated play designs. Tell me a creative coach can't find a way to use those in meetings.

They're a tool with uses, and just like any other tool, if you don't put that tool to a use you like, don't be surprised if some of your workers put it to other uses. Trying to block a wave is only a potential option if you're not creative enough to ride it.

as for meetings at my work, I'm not sure if you've heard of the concept, but some people call into the meeting be it from their office, their car, or even their homes.....It sound to me like you don't think things through

So you DO understand that mobile devices can be a productivity tool rather than the devil incarnate. I was beginning to wonder.

When Steve Jobs was running Apple, he was known to call journalists to either pat them on the back for a recent article or, more often than not, explain how they got it wrong. I was on the receiving end of a few of those calls. But nothing shocked me more than something Mr. Jobs said to me in late 2010 after he had finished chewing me out for something I had written about an iPad shortcoming.

“So, your kids must love the iPad?” I asked Mr. Jobs, trying to change the subject. The company’s first tablet was just hitting the shelves. “They haven’t used it,” he told me. “We limit how much technology our kids use at home.”

I’m sure I responded with a gasp and dumbfounded silence. I had imagined the Jobs’s household was like a nerd’s paradise: that the walls were giant touch screens, the dining table was made from tiles of iPads and that iPods were handed out to guests like chocolates on a pillow.

Nope, Mr. Jobs told me, not even close.

I was perplexed by this parenting style. After all, most parents seem to take the opposite approach, letting their children bathe in the glow of tablets, smartphones and computers, day and night.

Yet these tech C.E.O.’s seem to know something that the rest of us don’t.

Chris Anderson, the former editor of Wired and now chief executive of 3D Robotics, a drone maker, has instituted time limits and parental controls on every device in his home. “My kids accuse me and my wife of being fascists and overly concerned about tech, and they say that none of their friends have the same rules,” he said of his five children, 6 to 17. “That’s because we have seen the dangers of technology firsthand. I’ve seen it in myself, I don’t want to see that happen to my kids.”

I never asked Mr. Jobs what his children did instead of using the gadgets he built, so I reached out to Walter Isaacson, the author of “Steve Jobs,” who spent a lot of time at their home.

“Every evening Steve made a point of having dinner at the big long table in their kitchen, discussing books and history and a variety of things,” he said. “No one ever pulled out an iPad or computer. The kids did not seem addicted at all to devices.”

Jobs was a phenomenal father, for sure...

Did you know that Steve Jobs paid $385 in child support for daughter Lisa?

Who said anything about meetings? What I'm saying is that a good leader sometimes picks his battles.

Besides, doesn't it make even more sense to go with the flow and use the mobile devices themselves as part of the process of the meeting? Cell phones are not automatically the enemy. There are a TON of mobile productivity tools that can make smarphones a key component of meetings and presentations rather than a distraction.

Heck going back to the football mindframe I just posted a link to one a few pages back that does animated play designs. Tell me a creative coach can't find a way to use those in meetings.

They're a tool with uses, and just like any other tool, if you don't put that tool to a use you like, don't be surprised if some of your workers put it to other uses. Trying to block a wave is only a potential option if you're not creative enough to ride it.

So you DO understand that mobile devices can be a productivity tool rather than the devil incarnate. I was beginning to wonder.

lol......now you're just blubbering.......

Will there be crying breaks too?
Nah, there'll be plenty of time for that during the games, when Kliffy & his Midget are losing...again...

Really though, may just find they focus better. In Air Force schooling nowadays they take a 10 min break every hour and a half or so.
That's nothing new. During my Navy/Marine Corps schooling, we took 10 minute coffee/smoke breaks every 50 minutes, especially if the lesson plan was running smoothly. I wouldn't be suprised to learn that most teams have similar schedules, except that now the cell phone has replaced coffee & cigarettes.

they already phoned in their season
I think they got that recording that says, "This number has been disconnected. If you feel you have reached this recording in error, please check the number and try your call again."

I know this story is soooo last month, but I just finished reading a book by an MIT professor who promotes a culture of distraction-free living and how that affects your productivity and career.

Needless to say, he is not a fan of this policy in the Arizona locker room.

Here's a blog post he wrote on the subject:

The Arizona Cardinals Now Give Their Players Phone Breaks - Study Hacks - Cal Newport

(He wouldn't like PatsFans very much either)

OR ... they could want to be adults and professionals.

Screw it, I'm going to ask my boss for "Division 2" breaks.

Probably why they get cellphone breaks

Most adults don’t have to lock up their phones for an entire workday

****ing rights! Finally a court that understands child support shouldn't be in 10 000 per month. WTF how did Terrell Owens baby momma's hustle the courts like that. Straight ****ing robbery. Ridiculous!
That’s the other side of it. People suck. Agreeing to that amount to support your child shortly before your company goes public is a ****head move. You should read about her life growing up. Meanwhile, daddy dearest was living high on the hog.

Sorry I forgot to respond to this. He was a total ******* in reality, for sure. My only interest was in pointing out that he banned the very thing he invented, because he was well aware of the dangers it posed, in that it actually reduces brain activity. A few other technology leaders like Bill Gates, have also banned or restricted phone/technology usage for his kids. Zuckerberg has also banned his kids from using facebook if I'm not wrong. He doesn't even use it, himself.

Just thought it was a little more than just interesting that the pioneers in the field of technology actually did not embrace what they, themselves invented and pushed onto other people in the course of massively enriching themselves.

Sorry I forgot to respond to this. He was a total ******* in reality, for sure. My only interest was in pointing out that he banned the very thing he invented, because he was well aware of the dangers it posed, in that it actually reduces brain activity. A few other technology leaders like Bill Gates, have also banned or restricted phone/technology usage for his kids. Zuckerberg has also banned his kids from using facebook if I'm not wrong. He doesn't even use it, himself.

Just thought it was a little more than just interesting that the pioneers in the field of technology actually did not embrace what they, themselves invented and pushed onto other people in the course of massively enriching themselves.
I don’t have a problem with them cornering an untapped market and making a profit. That’s the spirit of Capitalism. Good for them. And it certainly wasn’t by accident. They all had to work hard for it. But there is no question that society is, in many ways, worse off than better off because of their contributions. A computer in one’s hand with unprecedented access to information was supposed to make society smarter. But we have never been dumber, IMO.

In any event, I just wanted you to pump the brakes before celebrating Jobs as a father. By many accounts, the man was a complete piece of garbage.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back