PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can’t belief the Jets are the “team to beat” in the AFC EAST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Can’t belief the Jets are the “team to beat†in the AFC EAST.

Let me preface this by saying that I think the Pats are going to win the East. That said, I will not be shocked if the Jets go 10-6. Think I am overstating the Jets chances? Look at their schedule for the year
Scores and Schedule
Regular Season
Sun 9/10 at Tennessee W 23-16 1-0
Sun 9/17 New England L 17-24 1-1
Sun 9/24 at Buffalo W 28-20 2-1
Sun 10/1 Indianapolis L 28-31 2-2
Sun 10/8 at Jacksonville L 0-41 2-3
Sun 10/15 Miami W 20-17 3-3
Sun 10/22 Detroit W 31-24 4-3

Here is the rest
Sun 10/29 at Cleveland 4:15 pm 5-3 (W)
bye
Sun 11/12 at New England 1:00 pm 5-4 (L)
Sun 11/19 Chicago 1:00 pm 5-5 (L)
Sun 11/26 Houston 1:00 pm 6-5 (W)
Sun 12/3 at Green Bay 1:00 pm 7-5 (W)
Sun 12/10 Buffalo 1:00 pm 8-5 (W)
Sun 12/17 at Minnesota 1:00 pm 8-6 (L)
Mon 12/25 at Miami 8:30 pm 9-6 (W)
Sun 12/31 Oakland 1:00 pm 10-6 (W)

Not saying that it will be a cake walk for the Jets. They still have 5 road games left and Miami and Buffalo might pull it together enough to be an average Jets team, but still if the Jets even get to 9-7 it is way better than anyone thought they would be.

Re: Can’t belief the Jets are the “team to beat†in the AFC EAST.

shatch62 said:
Let me preface this by saying that I think the Pats are going to win the East. That said, I will not be shocked if the Jets go 10-6. Think I am overstating the Jets chances? Look at their schedule for the year
Scores and Schedule
Regular Season

Here is the rest
bye

Not saying that it will be a cake walk for the Jets. They still have 5 road games left and Miami and Buffalo might pull it together enough to be an average Jets team, but still if the Jets even get to 9-7 it is way better than anyone thought they would be.

I think you're assuming way too much about those 'easy games'. The Jets are a mid-level team. So are some of those teams you've boxed in as Ws on their schedule. The AFCE games in particular are not gimmes, nor is @Green Bay.

I think 10-6 is best case for the Jets, 9-7 is likely, and 8-8 is possible.

yea its too early to speculate on what games the jets might win. Hell for all we know the Texans will beat them. They did beat Jax afterall.

9-7

If you look at it, they're pretty easy to call. They lose to good teams, beat bad teams. Assuming that, they'll lose to NE, chicago, and Minnesota, and my guess is that they'll drop one to either Miami, Houston, or GB.

It's going to be a while before they're really competitive in the AFC East. Their defense needs work, they have no running game, and I still don't buy into the Chad Pennington hype.

Anyway, the wild card competition is going to be too tough this year, they won't make it in.

There was a brilliant thread posted on 10/17 covering this subject.

I'm not trying to posture here, but there really are no "easy" games in the NFL.

I LOVE the Belichick approach of making every opponent card up like the '72 Dolphins!

It's not like, say, baseball, where the Red Sox, in the thick of a heated pennant race, get to roll into KC in early August to play the a creampuff team like Royals or something!

(Oh wait, the Sox got swept in that series - 6-4, 5-4, & 5-4 and effectively ended their seaosn in my opinion!)

See, there are no easy games!

ADPF

Brownfan80 said:
I think you're assuming way too much about those 'easy games'. The Jets are a mid-level team. So are some of those teams you've boxed in as Ws on their schedule. The AFCE games in particular are not gimmes, nor is @Green Bay.

I think 10-6 is best case for the Jets, 9-7 is likely, and 8-8 is possible.

i agree and also point out that this all assumes that Doofington stays healthy, which he hasn't done in the past...

Well, they're only the team to beat if you happen to be the Patriots. For all other teams, the team to beat in the AFC East is the Patriots.

If the Patriots beat the Jets when they next play them, then the division race is effectively over. Some would say it's over already. :)

I got them at 9-7 but 8-8 or 10-6 is possible.

Mangini is doing a good job of teaching - something he got considerable mentoring on. The thing that gives the Jest a fighting chance at that 10-6, they are developing the winner's mindset. The went for the win against an offensively superior Indy squad. They went for the win against the Patriots. 4-3 is pretty darn respectable, and remember, that defense is still learning, that O-line is still learning. Those buckos on the roster are starting to believe - they even knew enough to make Matt Chatham Special Teams' Captain - no streaker is safe now.

He's got a nice mix of old geezers and young bucks on his staff - http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches/ - I'll bet he had fun moving Herm's LB coach to Defensive Coordinator (the guy was HC at Army and is the only Army HC to defeat Navy 5 years in a row - take that BB :D).

The Jets are for real IF, Tannenbaum's personnel boys can match Pioli's.

I must say, looking at that schedule, I expect a 9-7 year for the Jets...which just may be enough for a wild card given the uncentainty of Jax, Pit, Cin and Bal.

Funny, the Jets always win when you don't expect them to, then lost big when people refer to them as a super bowl contender.

This team is going to be just like Miami next year. When teams are playing them they are underestimating them. Which in turn is letting them beat some teams.

They are not as good as some might think. Mangini is going to be just like saban next year. The Jets if they are lucky will be 8-8 in the end, and that’s all. Teams are going to start preparing for them now that their 4-3. Which in turn will make their schedule a lot harder.

Last edited:

shatch62 said:
Scores and Schedule
Regular Season

Here is the rest
bye

I agree with you. I said as much in another thread. 10 and 6 is very doable for these guys. I'm not saying they will; I am saying they could without moving heaven and earth. This is why the East is not over. This is why our game against the Jets is of great importance. ANY team on any given Sunday can lose. That statement inclues the Jets and it also includes the Patriots. Those who say 'CP can't stay healthy' or 'these guys aren't capable enough to win' live in a fool's paradise. We have no idea how this Jet team will progress. If their run D evolves some over the next few weeks, I think you'll see them win 9 or 10. That can happen. And minimize as some will, the remaining schedule they have is an early xmas gift from Tiffanys. Bottom line, the Patriots have games they can lose. If we lose that one game to the Jets, the -count the chickens before they're hatched, pie in the sky- belief that the east is just about a done deal will be itself done. How many of 'the east is over' posters (after the Denver loss) were thinking that we were good enough to be certain of anything? If we lay an egg against Minn, will they still be so sure? That said, IF we win that one Jet game, I do think the race is likely over. That is a 4 game margin margin of error. That is also assuming the unlikely scenario the Jets would run the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes