Next Up: at Chargers
Pick Results: NE: 0% at LAC: 0%

Sun
Oct 31st

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Steve:Section 102

A lion isn't concerned with the opinion of sheep
PatsFans.com Supporter
The real problem is him making any issue out of it at all. He's a QB for crying out loud, talk about embarrassing.

I'm a union laborer, we do everything and have our hands in a lot of different pies. From concrete to demo, tending carpenters and brickies, final cleaning to running pipe underground.

I might be good at one thing and have my strengths in different areas. It might have went one way under a certain contract or company but if it falls under "labor" and someone asks me to handle something you best believe I'm fukcing expected to handle it. I'm not blaming it on the C. I'm not blaming the system. Easy, hard, this is how we do things here. Handle it.

I love Cam but I don't live in fantasy land. He tried to be the best Cam he could be. Not the best NEP QB he could be. Things are different here for better or worse. Two months ago he was praising Bill on some show and now he's holding court after getting cut instead of keeping his head down and keeping it moving.

Said it months ago but this was his last best shot. He'll get another opportunity but not on a team like this.
We see it a lot. He's a great athlete, blessed with phenomenal physical gifts. He relies on the physical gifts alone instead of using everything at his disposal, IE his brain. At every level, pop warner up to the early part of his career in the NFL he was a better athlete and didn't need to apply himself more than he did. At 32 years old, he's begun to decline, and all he has or had was the physical aspects. It's a shame. It's almost like an opportunity wasted. How great could he have been?

Pape

In the Starting Line-Up
20 TDs with a bad roster and some missed games. Can't ignore rushing TDs especially if the offense didn't even try to pass in the red zone (not on him)
Of course not passing in the red zone is on him.

12 rushing TD's doesn't make up for the wobbly ducks and worm killing earth burners he was tossing around out there. They were running because he couldnt get the job done thru the air.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Of course not passing in the red zone is on him.

12 rushing TD's doesn't make up for the wobbly ducks and worm killing earth burners he was tossing around out there. They were running because he couldnt get the job done thru the air.
The rushing TDs weren’t additive they were taken away from the RBs. The team isn’t better because the QBs runs the last yard rather than the RB.

zydecochris

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
We see it a lot. He's a great athlete, blessed with phenomenal physical gifts. He relies on the physical gifts alone instead of using everything at his disposal, IE his brain. At every level, pop warner up to the early part of his career in the NFL he was a better athlete and didn't need to apply himself more than he did. At 32 years old, he's begun to decline, and all he has or had was the physical aspects. It's a shame. It's almost like an opportunity wasted. How great could he have been?
Cam certainly certainly was in his prime arguably the most physically gifted QB ever, so no argument there. However, he has always had a reputation as a hard worker all the way back to his Auburn days, so I disagree that he has never applied himself, you don’t win a National Championship (largely carrying Auburn on his back) followed by a NFL MVP if you don’t apply yourself.

You mention that at 32 he has begun to decline, that is certainly true, but IMHO it primarily is due to all of the hits he had taken over the years. Guess who has the most QB career rushing attempts (1071), almost 200 more than second place (for career rushes), Michael Vick? QBRushingLeadersAllTime. It is Cam of course, and no other QB on this all time rushing list simply ran over defenders (or had the size and strength to do so) the way Can did so often. And that doesn’t count all the hits he got while trying to extend a passing play. Most RBs can take only a limited number of hits before they decline, why wouldn’t that be true with a running QB like Cam? He has just taken too many hits and suffered too many injuries over the years to remain effective.

Last edited:

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
PatsFans.com Supporter
We know based on his level of play that his performance was subpar. We do know he didn't look much better this year. And we know he's gone.
I think Cam definitely looked better than last year, and feel there definitely was a chance Cam would be our starting QB if Mac hadn't fallen to us and if Cam had made a more solid showing for himself this off season. Luckily Mac did fall to us and he did perform well enough to convince the team to release Cam, for which I'm thankful because I've seen enough Cam. In essence Cam was a $3.5M insurance policy, one we ended up not needing.

Steve:Section 102

A lion isn't concerned with the opinion of sheep
PatsFans.com Supporter
Cam certainly certainly was in his prime arguably the most physically gifted QB ever, so no argument there. However, he has always had a reputation as a hard worker all the way back to his Auburn days, so I disagree that he has never applied himself, you don’t win a National Championship (largely carrying Auburn on his back) followed by a NFL MVP if you don’t apply yourself.

You mention that at 32 he has begun to decline, that is certainly true, but IMHO it primarily is due to all of the hits he had taken over the years. Guess who has the most QB career rushing attempts (1071), almost 200 more than second place (for career rushes), Michael Vick? QBRushingLeadersAllTime. It is Cam of course, and no other QB on this all time rushing list simply ran over defenders (or had the size and strength to do so) the way Can did so often. And that doesn’t count all the hits he got while trying to extend a passing play. Most RBs can take only a limited number of hits before they decline, why wouldn’t that be true with a running QB like Cam? He has just taken too many hits and suffered too many injuries over the years to remain effective.
His comment about knowing the mike or the pass pro was very telling, IMO.

Ivan

Hall of Fame Poster
I called it the day it happened. Pats found a loophole to give Mac reps and use it as an excuse to release Cam.

Great call, a guy who sucks @ss and was clearly losing the QB battle was screwed by the team. No wonder so many teams came pounding the door for him when Belichick f*cked the Patriots by releasing him. Can’t wait for the documentaries showing Newton’s incredible success from here on out.

TheRainMaker

The face of success
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Great call, a guy who sucks @ss and was clearly losing the QB battle was screwed by the team. No wonder so many teams came pounding the door for him when Belichick f*cked the Patriots by releasing him. Can’t wait for the documentaries showing Newton’s incredible success from here on out.
There’s some people on here that actually want him to be the starter.