In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
via SI.com

[clipped from]

First things first

Texans have three choices to start off 2006 draft

By Peter King, Sports Illustrated
Monday February 20, 2006

"There's been no guarantee that we'll take Bush,'' Casserly told me. "We're wide open. We're wide open for trades for the pick. The way I see it, here are our options. Keep David Carr and take Reggie Bush. Keep David Carr and draft Vince Young. Take Vince Young and see what we can get in trade for David Carr. And trade down. We're going to visit with people at Indianapolis and take our time. Nothing will get done, I wouldn't think, until the week before the draft.''

My biggest question about Bush has been -- and continues to be -- this: Can he be an every-down player in the NFL? This is a guy who rushed more than 20 times twice in a three-year USC career and who, playing at around 198 pounds, will have massive durability questions in the NFL.

"It's the same question we're asking ourselves internally, quite frankly,'' said Casserly. "He didn't do it in college, and you don't know if he can do it in the NFL. I guess here's what I would say: Is Randy Moss, ability-wise, worth the No. 1 pick in a draft? I think you'd have to say yes, based on ability and nothing else -- and he'll touch the ball eight or nine times in a game. Sometimes you have to look at how a guy can affect a game. When I came back from scouting him, I told [owner] Bob [McNair], 'The coach will have to go on the board and tell us how he's going to use him.' If he's a 17-touch-a-game guy [touching it 17 times rushing, receiving and returning combined, on average], is he worth it?''

It's clear Casserly thinks Bush is. "When I came back from scouting him, I thought he was one of the better players I've scouted in my career. It's like some college coaches have told me: You look at the tape and he's really good, and then you see him in person and he's faster. His separation from linebackers is unique. He'll create a really difficult matchup problem for defenses out of the backfield or split out.''

Not many people know this yet, but a slightly different Bush will show up at the Combine this week. He's put on eight pounds since season's end. He weighs 207, more than he ever weighed as a college player. He's put the weight on using a personal chef and working out to bulk up. "He knows what people are saying about him,'' someone close to Bush told me. "They're saying he's not big enough to take the punishment in the NFL. He's out to combat the idea that he won't stand up to the punishment.''

Bush will be hard for the Texans to turn down. He really wants to play in Houston. The players he's spoken to say it's a good place to play, with a strong owner and coaches ... and with no state income tax. That could save him several hundred thousand dollars of his guaranteed money, which will be somewhere around $22 million. He'll be pretty bulletproof, even to the most right-wing of NFL conservatives. No tattoos. No cadre of hangers-on. Personable. Bright. Loves football. Interviews well. Unselfish.

Houston's pick should not be in much doubt, even with the push to take Young. It'll be interesting to see how intense the local pressure will be to take the hometown kid, Young. I can't see it making McNair's decision for him. But lots can happen in 68 days. Let the game begin.

Bush is a very determined, regimented player. And like the quote says, he knows what he has to do to silence the doubters. There is nothing not to like about this guy.

I would have 0 problem with us giving up our # 1, both #3's, and next years# 2 to take Bush. I doubt that would get it done though. they will likely want multiple # 1 picks.

Not even close

KDPpatsfan said:
I would have 0 problem with us giving up our # 1, both #3's, and next years# 2 to take Bush. I doubt that would get it done though. they will likely want multiple # 1 picks.

If we gave up our first, second and both thirds we could only get as high as #7. By the book, we'd have to throw in our 2007 and 2008 first rounders, too, to get to #1 overall. In other words... impossible.

rookBoston said:
If we gave up our first, second and both thirds we could only get as high as #7. By the book, we'd have to throw in our 2007 and 2008 first rounders, too, to get to #1 overall. In other words... impossible.

And definitely NOT the way to maintain a championship team. Let's say Bush IS the greatest talent of all time. It takes one significant injury to set your franchise back 5-10 years.

It's not going to take as much as the previous poster said. QBs have higher value at #1 spot, and let's try and forget about the Ricky Williams trade, since there'll never be a trade like that again.

My guess is it would take this year's #1, this year's #2, one of this year's #3s, and next year's #1. That's not THAT extreme if you think about the potential Bush possesses.

dryheat44 said:
And definitely NOT the way to maintain a championship team. Let's say Bush IS the greatest talent of all time. It takes one significant injury to set your franchise back 5-10 years.

I know thats right a trade like that is for desperate teams we have a team
thats working towards another Super Bowl why would you give up good
depth for one player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey