PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruins #1 draft pick

Willie Andrews23

On the Roster
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on the kid the B's pick in the first round Friday?

Colborne has been compared to Joe Thornton. Big center who should develop into a playmaker. I wasn't always the biggest Joe fan because I would rather see a guy with his size and strength dominate in front of the net in the offensive zone rather than be a setup guy.

That is not what I was hoping to hear. I wanted a top defensive prospect or at least a power forward who can play Boston Bruin hockey.

However, I do trust that Chiarelli has made the right choice. They have had some pretty good picks lately.

I totally agree, I thought a big D might have been a better option.

Colborne sounds good, I like his size and abilities, but I am reading some of the same scouting reports about him that I remember hearing about Thornton when he was drafted. Things like "Lacks fire in his belly", "Avoids contact", "All around nice kid." For as much as I loved Joe, IMO he still lacks that fire and it is the one thing that holds him from being possibly the greatest player ever or in a long time. Even with a very talented Sharks team, look at his post season numbers...horrible! I never really minded the Joe trade either, it was just pathetic what we got for him. Not enough.
So I am hoping our new BIG JOE defies these reports and comes in and mans up. I love the route the B's are taking, so hopefully he is another nice component.

Yup good point. Jacobs can stay absentee. With 3 winners in town, the pressure is even less on them. But they should be real careful or noone will care when they do win.
I do still like the route of playing the kids though. It is better to watch them than overpaid fat cats like Glen Murray.

I would have preferred the tough defensemen Carlson or even the offensive defenseman Del Zotto, Carlson has Bruins written all over him ... what do i know? Mr. Invisible has the Celtics to keep him afloat now.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?dpid=17&page=DraftProspectDetail&service=page&tab=scr

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/john_carlson

From the playoff run it was even more clear then defense, that this team needs a guy that can bury the puck into the back on the net more then anything. I wont argue about defense winning it though, Detroit proved this year what a great defensive team can do.

Also the one common theme about the Celtics, Patriots and Red Sox championships is that they all had newer ownership brought in place with the goal being winning, DO YOU HEAR THAT JACOBS! Not making side bets with other known cheap should be thrown out of the league owners like yourself, about who can profit the most!

Last edited:
Wow, the rest of the draft did not turn out like I thought it would. All we can do is trust in Chia.

From the playoff run it was even more clear then defense, that this team needs a guy that can bury the puck into the back on the net more then anything. I wont argue about defense winning it though, Detroit proved this year what a great defensive team can do.

Also the one common theme about the Celtics, Patriots and Red Sox championships is that they all had newer ownership brought in place with the goal being winning, DO YOU HEAR THAT JACOBS! Not making side bets with other known cheap should be thrown out of the league owners like yourself, about who can profit the most!

Patrice Bergeron?:confused:

The problem with this draft is that the top was loaded with centers and defensemen ... if you were looking for a scorer then you needed to spec. I think Chiarelli is thinking load up with playmakers and then sign the snipers as FA's ... if he is thinking that it's not a bad strategy, especially if he gets lucky with a scorer in the 2nd through say 5th rounds every year.

I heard an interview with Chia the other day and he said the Colborne and Thornton comparisons stop at size. He said he is more of a shoot first, pass second type guy. Thats what I like to hear.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back