PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bronson OUT...Willie Mo IN!

bostonbuzz

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Just read it on BostonHerald.com. What you think?

excellent trade. Bronson was the odd man out and Pena can platoon with Nixon in RF.

Boston Boxer said:
excellent trade. Bronson was the odd man out and Pena can platoon with Nixon in RF.

Some are speculating that he could outright replace Nixon, allowing Theo to trade Nixon in another deal

I like Bronson and hate to see him go - but I'm liking what I hear about this young bat and his ability to hit the deep ball as well

Unless he develops tremendously this was a foolish deal. This is all about appeasing the fat man who will be gone soon anyway and covering for the great white hope in RF's long standing inadequacies.

Arroyo was a very valuable asset because of his consistency, durability and versatility. And unlike most MLB pitchers we know he signed a deal this winter at a home town discount to stay with the team who gave him his shot. Silly, silly naive boy.

i love the trade
first, it gives us a platoon rf vs lefties
second, it gives us a rf for next yr
remember, nixon is def gone after this yr, his contract is up and there is no way we are re-signing him

From what I know of the deal, seems good for the sox. I wonder if this is the beginning of a couple of deals, do not see "Boomer" on the opening day roster.

What if the new guy turns into a fat Craig Belhorn? He strikes out 1 time in 3 and walked like 20 times last year in over 300 appearances, when did we stop caring about OBP?

It could go very well for us, but Arroyo is a bird in the hand, and a cheap one at that.

i think this trade sucks.the last thing we need is some fat cow who strikes out all the time and cant run worth a **** his obp was 303 thats pathetic .if hes replacing nixon the sox are in trouble .im no big bronson fan but wille moe blows .just imagine moe in right curly in left .wow now thats a great defensive outfield. i think im going to be sick .

Last edited:
This is a very good trade. Arroyo's declining numbers were disconcerting, especially his plummeting K rate. Teams were starting to take advantage of his inability to get lefties out. He really had no role on the team. He wasn't going to be in the starting rotation, and would've been making 4th starter money as a long-relief pitcher.

Pena fills a big need. He's a perfect platoon mate for Trot. The guy mashes lefties. Also allows for some versatility. He can play every OF position if needed, though his defense is mediocre. Plus he's a young and cheap. He could potentially be a very good replacement for Trot in 2007.

MoLewisrocks said:
Unless he develops tremendously this was a foolish deal. This is all about appeasing the fat man who will be gone soon anyway and covering for the great white hope in RF's long standing inadequacies.

Arroyo was a very valuable asset because of his consistency, durability and versatility. And unlike most MLB pitchers we know he signed a deal this winter at a home town discount to stay with the team who gave him his shot. Silly, silly naive boy.

I've always been of the camp that Arroyo is overrated. Yes, he's still younger and more durable than Schilling, Wells, and Wakefield, but he's almost 30 himself. Pena is 24 and entered the majors at 20. His development had to occur in an obviously tougher MLB, so there's still plenty of room for improvement. Bronson, on the other hand, probably isn't going to give much more than he already is - which would barely be anything if the rotation stayed healthy. Pena is 24, and Lester should be up by the end of this season or the beginning of next to filter Wells and Schilling out. If Clement does stick around, a Beckett--Papelbon--Clement--Lester--Wakefield rotation is the future.

Last edited:
I never liked Arroyo as a starter, he was Lowe like, in that you never knew what you were going to get from start to start. Out of the pen he seemed to be a little more consistent but overall he was never a pitcher I really liked. If we can get a potential big time power hitting RF for an average pitcher (at best) then I don't understand how you can be against it.

Last edited:
patriotspride said:
i think this trade sucks.the last thing we need is some fat cow who strikes out all the time and cant run worth a **** his obp was 303 thats pathetic .if hes replacing nixon the sox are in trouble .im no big bronson fan but wille moe blows .just imagine moe in right curly in left .wow now thats a great defensive outfield. i think im going to be sick .

please read what the scouting report says on him and then post. he is not fat and he can run.

well

Some interesting stuff from Bronson in his Q & A this am:

“I said all along I'd rather pitch out of the pen here than start somewhere else. I still feel that way right now. But it's good knowing that I'll get 33-35 starts and not have to worry about being left out of the rotation. Still doesn't change the fact that I want to play in this uniform.â€

Gotta love the fact that he really loves the sox, sucks they couldn't get rid of the fatman instead in this deal!

“Just, you know, going to Fenway Park 81 times a year, man. There's an excitement in that place I'm not going to get anywhere in the National League except maybe Wrigley. So that was the No. 1 thing. And then, just the group of guys we've had that a lot of 'em still here, pitching to Varitek. I felt like Boston was my second home and I hadn’t felt that way about any other place I've ever played. So, you know, stuff kind of being uprooted. You feel like you're being ripped out of your home. That's the way the game is.â€

“We were pretty close. Probably as close as you can get to a GM as a player, but you know, the game is business, man, that's what it's about. It doesn't matter how you feel personally about somebody. You just make the best move. It's like playing a chess match, man. Just pieces on the freaking board. That's what players are in the business. It doesn't matter how much they like you. They're not going to not make a move because of personal feelings.â€

We all know Theo was close to bronson, i guess theo doesn't let ANY personal feelings in the mix!

i like the trade for the team, but i also think that we need to start to keep our fan favorites and hometown boys. Just need to be careful about depleting the system. cause it kinda looks like we are heading down that path.

Boston Boxer said:
please read what the scouting report says on him and then post. he is not fat and he can run.
Ive seen him play with my own eyes many a time .Hes a lousy fielder who strikes out once every three at bats .This is a guy who didnt even start for the reds on a regular basis and his batting average was 250 somthing last year .Bronson would have been a valuable arm out of the pen and hes proven he can pitch in big games unlike matt small balls clement .They should have waited to the trading deadline in july they would have got more for bronson or they would have had a better chance of dumping small balls clement to a team desperate for pitching .

jeremiahct said:
Just need to be careful about depleting the system. cause it kinda looks like we are heading down that path.
I don't see how you can possibly say that. All they've traded from their system is Hanley and Anibal, and they netted them a top, young pitcher. This move only brings in more young talent.

Still not sure how I feel about this trade. At first I didn't like it at all. I liked Bronson, especially out of the pen. However, I agree that with all our young arms he is expendible. I just hope Papelbon and Lester develop as they should. Pena is an interesting one if he can improve his average.

Just thinking about some other Sox trades from the past:

Sparky Lyle for Danny Cater
John Tudor for Mike Easler
Dennis Eckersley for Bill Buckner
Jamie Moyer for Darren Bragg
B Arroyo for WM Pena

I sure hope this one turns out better than those others.

my biggest issue wit this trade so far is the homer run totals

Bronson=2
Willy mo=1

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye