PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Britt released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calvin Ridley would have been a really sexy grab at pick #23 to boost this WR group and help Brady into retirement, but Wynn was the smarter choice despite his current circumstances

Dobson was pretty good at the time though, reminds to be seen what extent Patterson can play receiver with this playbook. Don’t mean to be a downer on Patterson because I’m actually excited about him.

No worries, I'm just trying to throw some cold water on the 2013/2006 comparison. It only works if you exclude the rest of the weaponry, which is obviously a slanted way of looking at things.

FWIW, I was a Dobson defender, but in retrospect it seems clear that his numbers were more about desperation than how good he was at the time.

2013 Non-Wrs: Ridley, Blount, Vereen, Bolden, Gronk, Hooman, Mulligan
2013 WRs: Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce, Collie

2018 Non-Wrs: Michel (?), Burkhead, White, ???, Gronk, Allen, Hollister
2018 WRs: Edelman, Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson, ???

Fair comparison at this point. Injuries and development will tell the tale of 2018, just as they so significantly impacted 2013.

Clearly you weren't following the Pats in 2006 because the Patriots didn't mismanage anything. They took Deion Branch at his word and he screwed them.

I love when people claim they mismanaged 2013 as well. It shows just how ignorant they are. As if the Patriots can predict who is going to get injured. I mean, really. They had Edelman, Amendola, and Dobson as their top 3 with Thompkins and Boyce as their bottom. They went out and got Collie later in the season. Who would you have kept from 2012? Brandon Lloyd? The washed up Deion Branch?

Add thee agrees and a like. There are contracts and a certain honor in dealing if you aren't happy with it. Though i was glad to have him back later, I'll never really forgive Branch.

All Brady has ever needed to make his WRs productive are just a few good men who have the required toughness, basic athletic ability and enough football IQ to work the field and get open.

He has never had home-grown talent at the position, beginning in 2006 and continuing to this day, to help nurture and grow comfortable in this system.

He hasn't needed much, but the Emperor Without Clothes has done the near-impossible, by giving him even less than that.

Absolutely feckin disgraceful.

I hear Lamar Jackson can catch

Clearly you weren't following the Pats in 2006 because the Patriots didn't mismanage anything. They took Deion Branch at his word and he screwed them.

I love when people claim they mismanaged 2013 as well. It shows just how ignorant they are. As if the Patriots can predict who is going to get injured. I mean, really. They had Edelman, Amendola, and Dobson as their top 3 with Thompkins and Boyce as their bottom. They went out and got Collie later in the season. Who would you have kept from 2012? Brandon Lloyd? The washed up Deion Branch?

I mean if BB is such a great coach why the **** did he not anticipate AH murdering people? I mean come on... amirite?

Last edited:
Yep. Both positives. It's just that his route tree is extremely limited due to the fact that he has never been a good route runner. That's why I think the reports have surfaced about Brady looking away from him in camp. As a WR4, he'd ultimately be what you're looking for. It's a stretch to say he's a WR3, though.

I was exclusively addressing the Patterson comparison with Dobson - who was rarely healthy, had a fairly poor catch rate, and was not particularly physical player. Different roles in the passing attack, sure. But player-to-player ...

It's a great number but there all manipulated touches.

IDK about "all", but even if that's true, I'm not seeing that as a negative. The Pats have been successful by avoiding trying to put round pegs into square holes. They optimize a player's best talents/skills and avoid putting the player into positions where he's likely to fail.

No doubt that Patterson will be used on screens and other short, simple routes that don't require a lot of sight-adjustments. But the Pats offense has made fairly frequent use of those routes anyway.

To me, one of Patterson's biggest assets is that, once he has the ball in his hands, he runs more like Blount than like Edelman or Amendola. That seems like it could be very useful.

I don't understand this line of thought at all. He's never been or shown to be that guy. He just doesn't/can't utilize his speed.

BEFORE the catch, to gain separation, I agree. However, AFTER the catch, his combination of speed and physicality can often be lethal to a defense. I'm not comparing him to Anquan Boldin by any means, but Patterson seems to me to be more that style than Moss-style.

We don't actually know that yet.

Julian Edelman (prior to Britt's release becoming public) expressed confidence by saying, "We've got a group in there that's very capable."

What do you expect him to say?
Well while im out for 4 games I hope the run game is strong and Gronk gets some single coverage?

What do you expect him to say?
Well while im out for 4 games I hope the run game is strong and Gronk gets some single coverage?

You want to filter Edelman's statement through your own personal biases to support your doom 'n' gloom, fine.

I prefer to take him at face value and see what happens.

You want to filter Edelman's statement through your own personal biases to support your doom 'n' gloom, fine.

I prefer to take him at face value and see what happens.
Im not trying to poke holes thru your statement my thoughts were when has a player on a Belichick coached team call out a player coach or positon for underperforming?
They take ownership like Julian could say its a process we just hope to get a little better each day and thats what I believe everyone is trying to do.
Its not about Tom or Kenny its about the team offense defense special teams coaches etc.

Im not trying to poke holes thru your statement my thoughts were when has a player on a Belichick coached team call out a player coach or positon for underperforming?
They take ownership like Julian could say its a process we just hope to get a little better each day and thats what I believe everyone is trying to do.
Its not about Tom or Kenny its about the team offense defense special teams coaches etc.

I understand. But I'm still not going to assume that a positive statement from BB or a player like Edelman is simply a smokescreen, or merely obligatory, or whistling past the graveyard.

I hear Lamar Jackson can catch

I hope to Christ so, 'cause he sucks at quarterbacking.
laughspin.gif

BEFORE the catch, to gain separation, I agree. However, AFTER the catch, his combination of speed and physicality can often be lethal to a defense. I'm not comparing him to Anquan Boldin by any means, but Patterson seems to me to be more that style than Moss-style.
I mean we're in agreement here lol

I was speaking to people thinking he's a deep threat when he's never been that guy.

To me that's not for debate. Guy is who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots