Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

September 11, 2006
Branch speaks

The Globe’s Ron Borges caught up with former Patriots wide receiver Deion Branch before he heads to Seattle.

Here are highlights of that conversation:

‘‘I felt a lot of happiness and a little sadness,’’ Branch said. ‘‘I feel good about my situation but sad about leaving my teammates. I understand the situation. The organization had to do what it felt was best for the team and I had to do what was best for me and my family. I have three kids. I’m the one who has to take care of them. The Patriots aren’t going to take care of them. Nobody is going to take care of them but me.’’

Branch was set to earn $1,045,000 this year, which included a base salary of $500,000 and another $545,000 in earned incentives from his past play. Now it is estimated he will received a signing bonus in excess of $12 million and an average of $6.5 million a season over the life of is new contract.

The Patriots’s first offer was a three-year extension for $18.45 million with an $8 million signing bonus split over two seasons.

‘‘The hardest days for me were leading up to the opening game knowing I wasn’t going to go back. I’d never missed a game when I was healthy in football season but I knew unless I won the grievances I wasn’t going to play for 10 games. I was getting mentally prepared for that but I’m a football player. When the games start you want to play. But I did a good job staying grounded.

‘‘I’d never wish the situation I went through on no one. If you have as much passion for the game as I do I wouldn’t wish it on nobody. To hold out against an organization like the Patriots it can’t just be about money. Money’s always involved because this is a business. They let you know that from the first day you come into the NFL. But to go through this and stay strong, money can’t be your main purpose.’’

For more on Branch see tomorrow’s Boston Globe.

Posted By: glee | Time: 07:13:00 PM

If this "wasn't all about the money," Deion, then what the hell was it about?

Last edited:
Before people start using that kid quote and letting their hate boil over:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it. Athletes are no different from you and me in terms of seeking monetary compensation.

We all have countless co-workers, schoolmates, or neighbors who chased salary increases or job promotions or job positions, and we haven't hated them, or have those people 'dead to you'.

The Pats got a good deal in return, and Branch found a willing taker for his services. It's fine, and let's just move on. No need to crucify the guy.

pats1 said:
The organization had to do what it felt was best for the team and I had to do what was best for me and my family. I have three kids. I’m the one who has to take care of them. The Patriots aren’t going to take care of them.

What an effing joke. I hate this "gotta take care of my kids" crap. Right, Deion, did you take care of your kids when you held out while accruing HALF A MILLION DOLLARS IN FINES??

It's such a slap in the face to read crap like this from pro-atheletes. I normally defend how much athletes make b/c I do feel it is proportionate to the number of lives they affect/entertain. But the average Joe Shmoe making 30-40 grand probably reads this and wants to shoot Deion in the face. I know I do. It's the Ty Law business all over again. F them all.

Kiss my *****, jerk, the Patriots offered you $6M a year.

His kids and his kids' kids and his kids' kids' kids.

Another Moral of the story: Maximize your profits while you still can

maverick4 said:
The Pats got a good deal in return, and Branch found a willing taker for his services. It's fine, and let's just move on. No need to crucify the guy.

I agree. This was a great win-win-win situation for everyone. If someone got suckered, it wasn't Branch, and it wasn't the Pats. Unless he goes on to crucify the Pats organization in the Seattle press, I will remain a loyal Branch fan. He's a solid guy, a great player and was instrumental in two SB championships for us.

I find it interesting that in the game of Chicken between Branch and Belichick, Holmgren was the one who blinked.

maverick4 said:
You would do the exact same thing as a professional athlete and you know it. Athletes are no different from you and me in terms of seeking monetary compensation.

The guy was getting fined $14,000 a day for not showing up to work. It takes me half a year to make that. So, yes, I think I will say it's slightly different scenarios, and yes I will crucify the guy because of it. Don't throw the "he could've gotten injured and earned nothing!" crap back at me b/c all these pro athletes have their bodies insured for millions of dollars anyway. These aren't ordinary people, they can't say ordinary things like "I was looking out for my family" b/c he's not. He was looking out for himself, wanting respect in the form of $$ and whatever he is going to buy with his money, it has nothing to do with his children, let's not kid ourselves.

maverick4 said:
We all have countless co-workers, schoolmates, or neighbors who chased salary increases or job promotions or job positions, and we haven't hated them, or have those people 'dead to you'.
There's a difference between someone wanting $40K over $30K compared to $39M vs. $32M or whatever the sick numbers are.

Branch SUCKS.

Whatever, Deion, fine. You take care of your kids, not the Patriots, good for you.

I hope you understand that the Patriots first priority is the PAtriots, and not your kids. That's the way it works, pal.

Now shut up and go away.

I feel that if someone is willing to pay you the money, you take it. No problem with that. However do not throw that kids line in there. I teach and see it every day. I have single parents raising three+ kids in some situations on less than $40k per year. They are doing just fine.

I used to love Deion. I thought he really got it. Then this whole thing happened and the kids line is just the cherry on the sundae.

****face said:
To hold out against an organization like the Patriots it can’t just be about money.
I'd LOVE to know what the greedy ass jerk means by this.

Bella*chick said:
Whatever, Deion, fine. You take care of your kids, not the Patriots, good for you.

I hope you understand that the Patriots first priority is the PAtriots, and not your kids. That's the way it works, pal.

Now shut up and go away.

A player takes care of himself and an organization takes care of itself. Sure there are exceptions (see: Kraft's treatment of Robert Edwards) but that's just the way things are and how they always will be.

Good bye and Good riddance. Lets move on with our team.

BelichickFan said:
I'd LOVE to know what the greedy ass jerk means by this.
I agree.. i would love to know what he means by this.

RI Pats Fan said:
A player takes care of himself and an organization takes care of itself. Sure there are exceptions (see: Kraft's treatment of Robert Edwards) but that's just the way things are and how they always will be.

Yup, I agree. That's why this interview seems totally pointless to me. I mean, we get it, Deion, now everyone can move on.

maverick4 said:
Before people start using that kid quote and letting their hate boil over:

Before you start telling people how they should feel, maybe you should stop making gross generalizations. Not everyone is about cash. I'm sure numerous people here could tell stories about how they have turned down money for other things, like quality of life, family time and the like.

Because you might chase the almighty dollar, does not mean that we all would.

As for the people I know that have left places I work for more money, they weren't "dead to me", but to be quite honest, I probably don't talk to them much anymore. Because when a friend leaves work, you realize why you were friends with them. The comraderie of going to work every day with them.

BradfordPatsFan said:
I feel that if someone is willing to pay you the money, you take it. No problem with that. However do not throw that kids line in there. I teach and see it every day. I have single parents raising three+ kids in some situations on less than $40k per year. They are doing just fine.

I used to love Deion. I thought he really got it. Then this whole thing happened and the kids line is just the cherry on the sundae.

I think by taking care he means spoiling which is a lot different than getting by on bare necessities. Not exactly a Ty Law with the "feeding"

He's not looking for a roof over his head for his kids, he wanted a mansion. If I had enough talent that I could demand that much, I would too.

BelichickFan said:
There's a difference between someone wanting $40K over $30K compared to $39M vs. $32M or whatever the sick numbers are.

Branch SUCKS.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Who is to say how much is 'too much' for a professional athlete, or for a regular worker? Is it fair that an NBA player can make 10 million sitting on the bench all year? Is it fair that NFL players don't have guaranteed contracts? Is it fair that CEO's make a zillion times more than the common worker, at a rate that doesn't justify his/her pay?

One guy could be happy with 40k and still be pissed at another guy making 80k who fights for 85k. I'm almost positive that any of us, if we were talented enough to play professionally, would try to get as much as we could, because it's either going in the player's pockets, or it's going into the owner's pocket.

pats1 said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

If this "wasn't all about the money," Deion, then what the hell was it about?

I know a lot of people feel that Deion's words are analogous to the Ty Law's a couple years back. I, however, do not because they've never come across to me as having the same motivations.

Whatever, I know Deion's actions (his agent not countering the Pat's initial proposal) may not reflect this but I for one believe him. Call me naive, or whatever, but I really believe Deion has the interests of his family first. When Ty made like comments there was no doubt in my mind he was simply trying to maintain a certain lifestyle he had become accustomed to (not saying he didn't care for his kids also).

This is Deion's big pay day and he could become the next Shannon Sharpe tomorrow and this contract he is about to sign would have been the only thing he could count on for him and his family for the rest of his life.

I for one wish him the best. I've always seen him as a genuine and humble person. And though things didn't work out for him or us the way we would have liked, I'm happy that all sides arrived at compromise and there appears to be no ill will.

Being on the outside, I think it is difficult for the fans to truly understand and appreciate the business side of football.

I don't want to sit here and try to justify Deion taking 12 million in a signing bonus instead of 8 or whatever. I know thats why so many have a hard time sympathizing with his decision.

Hopefully both sides prosper (just not at the Pats expense).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes