PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch shows up late for Seahawks Mini Camp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This is a strange piece from Sportsline, interesting read for those who want to deify Deion and anoint him as the second coming of Jerry Rice.. why couldn't he do this at another time.. one part of the article says something to the effect that he has been running a mile on the treatmill every day.. great to know he is taking about 5 minutes a day to focus on his football stuff...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10222266

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- When Deion Branch called Mike Holmgren last week to tell the Seahawks coach why he was missing another chance to build much-needed rapport with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, the first thing Holmgren told his leading receiver was: "Hey, this better be good."

It was.

This time, Branch was delayed because of his wedding, planned long before he arrived in Seattle last September. His arrival then was delayed because of a contract holdout and then trade from the New England Patriots.

Oh, and this time there was also the tropical storm that blew onto the Caribbean island of St. Lucia. Strong winds grounded his scheduled helicopter departure and extended Branch's honeymoon for two days.

"Fun. Hot. And then scary at the end, because I don't like hurricanes," the Georgia native said Monday, laughing as he recalled his honeymoon after finally joining the Seahawks' two-week minicamp a week late.

It wasn't really a hurricane that stranded the former Super Bowl MVP. The Caribbean hasn't had one of those yet this hurricane season.

"It was just bad weather ... a lot of wind," Branch said. "It was just weird."

Branch was greeted by Seahawks trainers telling him it was his day to get tested for body fat. His is usually 6 or 7 percent. Monday it was 10.

"They were just hoping it wasn't 20," Branch said.

Also in the article....."This is nothing that we just came up with. That's probably why I got away with it," Branch said, chuckling.
Hasselbeck brought Branch back on task immediately Monday. When Hasselbeck first saw Branch before practice, the quarterback told him in jest: "Thanks for not being here. We had a great week without you."

"Oh, yeah, exactly. I know how important it is for me, not being here last year at this time," Branch said. "The main thing is just hearing the plays from Matt instead of just hearing them from the coaches."

Branch acknowledged he has much to prove this season, but "just to myself."-----
I think TO the fans and the team that paid you boatloads...When was camp?? Just curious..I know the wedding was memorial Day weekend..

Not for nothing but honeymoons have been delayed/postponed to later dates for less reasons than career/work issues. I can see the difficulty of changing plans for weddings, but honeymoons can easily be rescheduled to occur in off-season. Surprising, this seemingly cavalier attitude from Branch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hasselbeck brought Branch back on task immediately Monday. When Hasselbeck first saw Branch before practice, the quarterback told him in jest: "Thanks for not being here. We had a great week without you."

Great line :D

Also from the article.....He said with the Patriots, he was constantly changing from strong-side to weak-side or slot receiver, depending on the play. Branch likes that the Seahawks are giving him one position, Jackson's old strong-side job, and keeping him there. He said the Seahawks simply tell him, "'Deion, go do this,"' and let his elusiveness create from there."........ Hmmmm...Not sure if this is a bit of being against the Pats or just his preference or???..not really sure what are the pros or cons are of a receiver being moved about OR having one position....but I found it interesting.

Also from the article.....He said with the Patriots, he was constantly changing from strong-side to weak-side or slot receiver, depending on the play. Branch likes that the Seahawks are giving him one position, Jackson's old strong-side job, and keeping him there. He said the Seahawks simply tell him, "'Deion, go do this,"' and let his elusiveness create from there."........ Hmmmm...Not sure if this is a bit of being against the Pats or just his preference or???..not really sure what are the pros or cons are of a receiver being moved about OR having one position....but I found it interesting.

A receiver being lined up at only one position makes the offense less dynamic and slightly more predictable.

Personally, it tells me that Branch thinks he knows more than Charlie Weis in terms of running an offense and I am going to look forward to him not being as successful. It also tells me that Branch is somewhat lazy.

Screw Branch. He didn't want to be here, therefore good riddance.

It indicates a laziness in making the mental adjustments and a focus on HIS wellbeing as opposed to doing what best helps the team.
It is quite clear that the Patriots management/team culture is a very important asset in their success.

Last edited:
Not for nothing but honeymoons have been delayed/postponed to later dates for less reasons than career/work issues. I can see the difficulty of changing plans for weddings, but honeymoons can easily be rescheduled to occur in off-season. Surprising, this seemingly cavalier attitude from Branch.

Come on, where's the romance?

Ooh wow he missed mini-camp, what a malcontent. Is it september yet? Can we get to september please....

Sounds like this is a little dig at "the system". I guess that's why he never cracked a thousand yards. Can you say hello double team...

There are a couple of things guys tend to sense they have gotten when first they leave here - their money (respect) and a less demanding/more accommodating talent based workplace in which to showcase THEMselves. There is another thing they don't get, but they usually don't appreciate or acknowledge that until their new employer begins to sour on them just like he did their predecessor - and/or the guy who hired them - and starts to play the blame game. If Seattle continues to struggle, Holmgren will be off the greener pastures - perhaps to the FO job in Green Bay to finally re-build post Favre. And there will be lots of finger pointing among those left in Seattle in his wake. NE is somewhat unique in it's approach to accountability - it is dispensed broadly from the top down. In most franchises it is administered selectively from the bottom up. Individual are singled out, and players are the first to bear the brunt deservedly or not, followed by coaches and GM's.

When that time comes, suddenly playing in the "system" doesn't seem nearly as unpalatable as it once did.

I still love Deion, but I hope he gets doubled all year!! Call me crazy, but I blame the whole Deion situation on Mangini. I think he definitely tampered with him. But the NFL is afraid of the friggin arbitrators so they squashed the tampering charges.

Rescheduling a honeymoon REALLY depends on where they went and who they booked the trip with.

I just got back from my honeymoon as well and we too were married on Memorial Day weekend.

We ended up taking one of those all-inclusive trips to Jamaica. We put our applications in for our passport 12 weeks ahaed of time. The problem we ran into wass getting the passports back in time to make the trip. We did end up getting our passports (day of the wedding) but it was extremely stressful. We didn't know if we were going to get our passports on time for our trip so we looked into rescheduling it. We came to find out that the hotel in Jamaica wouldn't refund our money nor the airline. IF our pasports didn't arrive on time we would've been out about $3,000-$4,000 and never made it to Jamaica. So not all honeymoons can be "easily rescheduled" as you say.

Rescheduling a honeymoon REALLY depends on where they went and who they booked the trip with.

I just got back from my honeymoon as well and we too were married on Memorial Day weekend.

We ended up taking one of those all-inclusive trips to Jamaica. We put our applications in for our passport 12 weeks ahaed of time. The problem we ran into wass getting the passports back in time to make the trip. We did end up getting our passports (day of the wedding) but it was extremely stressful. We didn't know if we were going to get our passports on time for our trip so we looked into rescheduling it. We came to find out that the hotel in Jamaica wouldn't refund our money nor the airline. IF our pasports didn't arrive on time we would've been out about $3,000-$4,000 and never made it to Jamaica. So not all honeymoons can be "easily rescheduled" as you say.

Sure they can...if you have $13.5M worth of the means to. Especially when the reason you need to reschedule is because the guy wo wrote you that check needs to see you for the first time in 4 months.

He was late to mini-camp because he was counting his money.

The guy schedules his marriage and honeymoon so it is over before minicamp. Because of bad weather, he can't get home. What a total non-story.

First let me say Congratulations!!!!! Hope your union is a happy and healthy one!
Secondly......
What I was trying to say is that weddings are often planned around more wants/needs than the honeymoon, and the date is often set based on when you can get a particular site booked etc. There are just more people involved in the wedding than the honeymoon!:rolleyes: So one would naturally expect that an NFL pro would be able to schedule the whole event during the 4-5 month stretch where he doesn't have to practice with his team. But if the honeymoon was going jam up that close to his required check-in with his job, then perhaps he could have planned to honeymoon during the aforementioned 4-5mo off season?

Last edited by a moderator:
IF our pasports didn't arrive on time we would've been out about $3,000-$4,000 and never made it to Jamaica. So not all honeymoons can be "easily rescheduled" as you say.
Well, a $3,000 to $4,000 buck loss would have stopped me cold. But I didn't receive a check for more than $10 million last year, either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye