Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was just doing the breakdown of this play, and here's what I've gathered:

3rd and 4 Buf 33

Result:

Run, Reverse, Dwight-to-Branch, left-to-right behind line, 10 yds.

PENALTY on NE-T.Brady, Illegal Crackback, 15 yards, enforced at BUF 33 - No Play.

Offense:

3 WR, Givens wide right, Dwight right slot, Branch left slot, Fauria TE down off LT, Cloud RB offset left.

Defense:

4-2-5 nickel, CBs 3 yards off the line, FS creeping into box left side of the field.

Blocking:

Ashworth is quickly beat by the DE who sprang to Dwight, but it’s irrelevant as Branch was bringing it back in the other direction in a heart beat before the DE had a chance to disrupt

Mankins can’t catch up to a LB once the reverse has the LB sprinting towards Branch, and Mankins can only trot from behind as that LB pushes Branch out of bounds

Hochstein gets position on his DT and prevents pursuit of Branch by the DT

Neal bursts through the line but has to turn around after he totally misses a DT to Neal’s left, of which will try to chase down Branch but has to turn back in pursuit, when Neal, who was waiting, lays a great block on the DT

Gorin sprints downfield and pushes Milloy out of bounds just ahead of where Branch was knocked out

Fauria and Cloud knock around a LB on the far side of the field from the run

Givens brings his CB downfield, far ahead of the run

Brady trots outside, stops between FS Vincent and Branch, beginning to turn the corner behind Brady, and will plant his right foot, switch the plant to his left foot, and dive at Vincent’s knees, a dive towards the sideline.

Analysis:

I was massively confused reading about the crackback block rule and its intricacies, but I guess it’s when an offensive player lines up or moves to a position 2 yards outside the tackles, and moves back towards the origin of the run on his block. The referee, I suppose, thought that Brady went outside of this zone and then made his block back towards this zone with the run going away from this zone (the zone being essentially the normal QB pocket). This did not exactly happen on this play. Brady did exit the zone, and lined up his block like it was going back towards the zone, but Vincent made a last second slide outside, and Brady redirected his dive towards the sideline and ‘away from the zone.’ This very last occurance should have made it a legal play. Brady was at first ready to dive illegally, but he pivoted as Vincent slid outside and instead made the dive legally.

http://www.masslive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports-0/1134438002168190.xml&coll=1

Not only did Brady throw the ball well despite being banged up, he even tried to throw a block on a double reverse. The quarterback handed off to Tim Dwight, who then handed it to fellow receiver Deion Branch. Brady wound up in front of the play and was flagged by throwing an illegal crackback block, one he believed was legal.

"I can see what was called," New England coach Bill Belichick said. "I think it was a close call."

According to the rule, an eligible player such as Brady who takes or moves to a position more than two yards outside a tackle may not block an opponent below the waist within five yards of either side of the line of scrimmage if they have moved back inside to block.

If Brady had been judged to be coming straight up the field, he would have been fine. Instead, he was viewed to be blocking from the outside in on a play run to the outside, a crackback.

"There is also the direction of the play, because in the official's interpretation, the play is designed to go to the right," Belichick said. "So when is a reverse not a reverse? ...

"Can I see what they call? Yea, I can see it. It was a close call. I think going forward we can coach the play a little better and maybe prevent that close call from happening."

You be the judge. The yellow guide line is parallel to the sideline, and thus the center of the field.

Was Brady's block back towards the center of the field or not? (crackback or not?)

take42oz.jpg

Here's another view:

extra7fz.jpg

WOW...that is alot of good information. Great breakdown...
Sure looked legal to me from the get go. I was almost as pissed off as Brady!

pats1 said:
Was Brady's block back towards the center of the field or not?
Sadly, I think yes. But great block nevertheless.

Last edited:
I thought it was a good block from the get go, Brady's shoulder hit Vincent high on the hip, which is basically at the waste, unless you wear a rope belt just below your armpits like I do.

Oh man see that view makes it clear that was a legal block.The ref missed that one.

The thing that bothered me at the time was it appeared Brady blocked him with his arms. Left first, to be sure, but still........

how about "stupid crack-neck block"?

jczxohn1 said:
The thing that bothered me at the time was it appeared Brady blocked him with his arms. Left first, to be sure, but still........
when a play reverses back to an opposite direction, the defense pursues. defensive players are focused on the ball. as they chase the ball, they are as vulnerable to a hit, right there, as a QB in the midst of his throwing motion.
not long ago, when d-players were hurt so often with career-threatening knee, leg & hip injuries, informal "enforcement" came into play, i.e., you throw a crackback block, look out in the next pileup. and the next.
finally the nfl competition committee set up a rule 10 years ago. but the enforcement on the field seems much broader. the point is to protect the d- player, not the technique of the block. i like it as it is. you throw a block like that, you are endangering the d-player. it's actually worse than the "chop-block".
besides, what is brady doing trying to do that? it's a good way to get a broken collarbone, elbow injury, or the ubiquitous "neck stinger". as an nfl QB, he's gotta stop thinking he's a football player or we're gonna lose him for half a season. soon.

ilduce06410 said:
when a play reverses back to an opposite direction, the defense pursues. defensive players are focused on the ball. as they chase the ball, they are as vulnerable to a hit, right there, as a QB in the midst of his throwing motion.
not long ago, when d-players were hurt so often with career-threatening knee, leg & hip injuries, informal "enforcement" came into play, i.e., you throw a crackback block, look out in the next pileup. and the next.
finally the nfl competition committee set up a rule 10 years ago. but the enforcement on the field seems much broader. the point is to protect the d- player, not the technique of the block. i like it as it is. you throw a block like that, you are endangering the d-player. it's actually worse than the "chop-block".
besides, what is brady doing trying to do that? it's a good way to get a broken collarbone, elbow injury, or the ubiquitous "neck stinger". as an nfl QB, he's gotta stop thinking he's a football player or we're gonna lose him for half a season. soon.

Yeah, I doubt that will ever happen.

Tom%20Brady.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes