PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's and the OCs PRIMARY off-season task...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that Brady and whomever the OC is (Josh McDaniel's) primary goal this off-season should be getting back to the basics. While its all well and good to want to go down field, doing that on 3rd and 4 hurts more often than it helps.

It is probably the biggest qualm I have with the offense this year. The play-calling, at times, made me wish for Charlie Weis' return. Part of that, I believe, was Tom wanting to get out of Charlie's shadow and part of it was McDaniels also wanting to get out of Weis' shadow. But the Pats really need to focus on extending drives. Getting what you need for a 1st down.

I think they need to find a way to get Ben Watson more involved in the passing game. I know it was tough this year with all of the injuries to the O-line. They needed the TE's on the line to help out in protecting Brady. But this guy is a freak of nature. He could really be a hreat player in this league.

stevedogc said:
I think they need to find a way to get Ben Watson more involved in the passing game. I know it was tough this year with all of the injuries to the O-line. They needed the TE's on the line to help out in protecting Brady. But this guy is a freak of nature. He could really be a hreat player in this league.

Agreed. Ben Watson has the potential to be as good as Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales.

DaBruinz said:
I think that Brady and whomever the OC is (Josh McDaniel's) primary goal this off-season should be getting back to the basics. While its all well and good to want to go down field, doing that on 3rd and 4 hurts more often than it helps.

It is probably the biggest qualm I have with the offense this year. The play-calling, at times, made me wish for Charlie Weis' return. Part of that, I believe, was Tom wanting to get out of Charlie's shadow and part of it was McDaniels also wanting to get out of Weis' shadow. But the Pats really need to focus on extending drives. Getting what you need for a 1st down.

Really, I'd just like to see them work on not having Brady throw that pass to the endzone on a rollout. Carbon copy of the pick in Superbowl 38. I don't know if any QB can make that play with tight coverage, regardless of arm strength.

Richter said:
Really, I'd just like to see them work on not having Brady throw that pass to the endzone on a rollout. Carbon copy of the pick in Superbowl 38. I don't know if any QB can make that play with tight coverage, regardless of arm strength.

Had the Pass been to Brown's outside shoulder, Bailey would have had to commit pass interference to get to it. Unfortunately, it was to Brown's inside shoulder and was free for the taking.

However, I will admit that the play was NOT a designed roll-out. Brady had to move because Ashworth missed his assignment and the Broncos defender was in clean. Brady should have thrown it away instead of trying to force the ball.

NEM said:
ME TOO :D .........

Oh no. the world must be ending. ;) NEM and I agree on something :eek:

NEM said:
ME TOO :D .........
Isn't that a bit hypocritical? You were out for Charlie's head every year he was here.

DaBruinz said:
Had the Pass been to Brown's outside shoulder, Bailey would have had to commit pass interference to get to it. Unfortunately, it was to Brown's inside shoulder and was free for the taking.

However, I will admit that the play was NOT a designed roll-out. Brady had to move because Ashworth missed his assignment and the Broncos defender was in clean. Brady should have thrown it away instead of trying to force the ball.

Just like the Superbowl 38 play. Trying to throw that ball on the run, with a defender in your face is exceptionally difficult for any QB. It's just not a worthwhile pass to throw, ever.

I think the play calling very much resembled Weis' playcalling, save for when Dillon was running so well in 04. The 03 offense and the 05 offense were not much different.

Play calling does NOT tell Brady where to throw the ball.

If anything, the issues brought up here would be a case of misdiagnosing what the coverage would be pre-snap.
That is, you call plays that have patterns designed to wrok vs a type of coverage. If its 3rd and 4, you DO need deep patterns. Otherwise you dont make the entire field be defended. Against a blitz, or an 8 man zone, or anything in between different routes are prone to come open. If you call a series of routes on 3rd and 4 anticipating cover2 and get a 6 man blitz and man coverage, the routes the D is weak against may be up the field. If you anticipated the blitz, you would call a different package, and the deep routes would run of that coverage.

Its not simplistic. All routes work in conjunction with each other. The job of the QB is to choose the receiver based on the coverage. If you expect one coverage and get another, the look of the play can be drastically different than what you wanted. But, you still have to execute.

The real problem, IMO, with the offense in 2005 was the running game, and particularly the run blocking. Too many times we struggled for a yard or 2 in situaitons we should have been able to run well.

AndyJohnson said:
I think the play calling very much resembled Weis' playcalling, save for when Dillon was running so well in 04. The 03 offense and the 05 offense were not much different.

Play calling does NOT tell Brady where to throw the ball.

If anything, the issues brought up here would be a case of misdiagnosing what the coverage would be pre-snap.
That is, you call plays that have patterns designed to wrok vs a type of coverage. If its 3rd and 4, you DO need deep patterns. Otherwise you dont make the entire field be defended. Against a blitz, or an 8 man zone, or anything in between different routes are prone to come open. If you call a series of routes on 3rd and 4 anticipating cover2 and get a 6 man blitz and man coverage, the routes the D is weak against may be up the field. If you anticipated the blitz, you would call a different package, and the deep routes would run of that coverage.

Its not simplistic. All routes work in conjunction with each other. The job of the QB is to choose the receiver based on the coverage. If you expect one coverage and get another, the look of the play can be drastically different than what you wanted. But, you still have to execute.

The real problem, IMO, with the offense in 2005 was the running game, and particularly the run blocking. Too many times we struggled for a yard or 2 in situaitons we should have been able to run well.
I agree with that fully that and keeping a healthy OL. I can wait until next season, I think that whole offence is going to be deadly, very deadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back