PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady for MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewwho

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Now that Manning will not have a perfect record and his numbers are NOT eye-popping and also considering he has won this thing 2 years in a row - do you think Brady has the lead for this award?

During the Colts game yesterday they mentioned several times, rather proudly, how Manning has had NOT one injury to any of his weapons/starters on the offense...

We all know Brady's story on that one including playing most of the season without a starting running back or an injured one.

Brady, if all goes well, will lead the league in passing yards and so far has his highest rated QB rating to date.

Alexander and Barber are neck in neck in the running yard contest so they might cancel each other out.

Thoughts? Does Brady win the MVP this year??? The debate on Fox last night seemed to lean toward our QB, but they seemed to think it would be neck and neck with Manning. Overall, they voted Brady...

Last edited:
I certainly hope they choose him for all the intangibles he brings to the team, which this year is backed up by the stats as well. I hope the SI award would also work in his favour.

But then again, I would rather he was the Superbowl XL MVP rather than the regular season MVP. :p

Considering how he's held the team together through all the doomsday injuries and the patchwork O-line, for him to be leading the league in passing and winning the division is unbelievable. How can Manning be "neck-and-neck" when his team has enjoyed a relatively injury-free season and the first game they have to sit some guys, he screws the pooch?

I would love to see Brady get his, but what is the media talking about? It seems like the media is looking for a dramatic story. They are tired with Brady because he is frontpage. Carson Palmer, Shawn Alexander, and LaDanian Tomlinson are in the spotlite right now. The MVP is a popularity contest, not reflecting the actual Most Valuable Player. I think Brady does have the most value and has proven it over the last four years. With that said, these other guys are great football players and have drama. My prediction is Palmer based on the way the Bungles have turned it around.

wistahpatsfan said:
Considering how he's held the team together through all the doomsday injuries and the patchwork O-line, for him to be leading the league in passing and winning the division is unbelievable. How can Manning be "neck-and-neck" when his team has enjoyed a relatively injury-free season and the first game they have to sit some guys, he screws the pooch?

Brady:
One of the toughest schedules in the NFL this season, bar none.
Manning:
Creampuff schedule, factually the second easiest schedule in the league.
Edge: Brady

Brady:
Injuries to many offensive starters including 2 starting TEs, two starting LTs, a starting RT, a starting C, three starting RBs and his second and third WRs both missing time at points this season.
Manning:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of Manning's weapons have missed a considerable amount of time and his OL has mostly been healthy all season.
Edge: Brady.

Brady: Had to make up for a severly ailing defense that sports fewer active DBs than DBs on the IR and injury list. Significant players on the DL and LB corps have missed time due to injury (Seymour, Bruschi).
Manning: From what I've heard Mathis and Freeney have been a bit dinged at times, but have not missed alot of time, and in highlights I've been hearing the same LB and DB names all season long.
Edge: Brady.

And after those two sets of circumstances we end up with the following stats for each player:

Tom Brady: 3888 yards, 493 attempts with 313 completions, 23 TDs with 12 INTs and a long of 71 for a 93.3 QB rating.
Peyton Manning: 3626 yards, 439 attempts with 295 completions, 28 TDs with 10 INTs and a long of 80 for a 104.3 QB rating.

Brady actually has more yards with only 5 fewer TDs and only 2 more INTs.
All this while Brady has had an injured Corey Dillon, an injured Kevin Faulk, an injured Patrick Pass, and Heath Evans as his Runningback. Peyton has had a healthy Edgerin James.

Nevermind that Troy Brown, Daniel Graham, Ben Watson and David Givens have missed time leaving only Deion Branch healthy while Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Brandon Stokely have all been available to Peyton.

The true clincher for Brady is that he's put up those numbers and won his division despite a defense that has led to a -8 turnover ratio while Peyton has been able to work with a defense that has led to a +11 turnover ratio.

To this point in the season the Patriots are -8 with only 14 takeaways (9 INT, 5 FUM) and 22 giveaways (13 INT -only 12 are Brady's-, 9 FUM). The Colts are +11 with 25 takeaways (15 INT, 10 FUM) and 14 giveaways (8 INT, 6 FUM). If the Patriots had forced 25 turnovers, they'd be +3 and most likely have a better record than 9-5. But that's an "if" and a "but".

We can only speculate what the Patriots would have done with the Colts luck on the injury front and creamy puffy schedule. We can only guess what the Colts would look like right now if they'd faced the adversity that the Patriots have in 2005. But all speculation aside the Patriots are 9-5 and have won the AFCE even in the face of the most extreme adversity that an NFL team can endure (lost both OC and DC and had to replace two starting ILBs for the first 9 weeks of the season before getting Tedy Bruschi back, in addition to the aforementioned Injury and Schedule woes). They have been able to accomplish this mainly because of their QB, Tom Brady. Not only is he the team MVP, he's surely the league MVP. If he's not given his due it's not only a shame, it's a sham.

Last edited:
If he isn't at least a finalist it will be a joke. Without Brady the Pats are a sub .500 team. With Brady they could win 11 games and have won the division. Not to mention a SB contendor. Isn't that the definition of MVP?

very good analysis brownfan

Last edited:
kptmorgan04 said:
very good analysis brownfan

Thanks, though I did forget to mention the fact that the Colts D has given up 206 points while the Pats D has given up 290. 290 points!!! The fact that we're 9-5 and have won the AFCE is truly a miracle that we can only attribute to Tom Brady.

Last edited:
Even in this thread Tiki Barber does not get a mention. Until now.;)

Brady MVP Tiki or LJ runner up

If Brady didnt win it in 03 and 04 because of the team around him despite the record, then it makes sense he should win it this year by carrying the team.

I think that Shawn Alexander has it locked up now. He has almost 1700 yards and 24 TDs and is playing on the best team in the NFC (though that's not saying much). I think the 24 rushing TDs is a record already. The only way the Peyton would have won MVP is if the Colts would have gone undefeated. Brady's season has made his very worthy of consideration, as has Carson Palmers', but I think that Alexander has sperated himself from the pack.

Who decides on the MVP and what do you use to determine the outcome?

If Brady didn't win it when he had similar stats and the Pats had a better record, he's not going to win it now. Brady should be in the running every year, IMO he is the best player in the league. But he hasn't had the truly great statistical regular season yet to get it.

The fact that his team isn't as good should help him win it, not hurt him.

Cantabrigian said:
Who decides on the MVP and what do you use to determine the outcome?

It is voted on by the Associated Press. 48 voters take part in the voting.

Don't know the 48 are determined.
Don't know who is in the 48.
Don't know if there are listed factors but I doubt it.

workhorse said:
I think that Shawn Alexander has it locked up now. He has almost 1700 yards and 24 TDs and is playing on the best team in the NFC (though that's not saying much). I think the 24 rushing TDs is a record already. The only way the Peyton would have won MVP is if the Colts would have gone undefeated. Brady's season has made his very worthy of consideration, as has Carson Palmers', but I think that Alexander has sperated himself from the pack.

I agree that Alexander will probably win it and has had one heck of a year... but my vote would still go to brady, because the Pats would be looking like the jets right now without him and I would have to believe that the Seahawks would still be in playoff contention without alexander.

kptmorgan04 said:
I agree that Alexander will probably win it and has had one heck of a year... but my vote would still go to brady, because the Pats would be looking like the jets right now without him and I would have to believe that the Seahawks would still be in playoff contention without alexander.

You are probably right. I think the Colts would look like the Jets with no Peyton. But I think when a player has a statistic monster of a season, it makes them a front runner for MVP. Pair that with being on one of the top few teams and they are almost a lock.

I just want to know why Hank Poteat isn't getting any MVP love.

He definitely should be way up there for MVP, but I was just thinking that I hope Brady makes the Pro Bowl. The years that he hasn't, has to pi** him off, even thought he would never show it or say it. Somebody mentioned his intangibles, agreed on that being big. They say that he even inspires the defense such that they would run through walls for him. Somehow, I don't see Manning as an inspiration to the Colts defense.

Edit, Pro Bowl voting is now closed. "The teams will be announced at 7 p.m. ET Wednesday, Dec. 21 on the 2006 Pro Bowl Selection Show on ESPN."

http://www.nfl.com/probowl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill