Bob Ryan Just Blasted The Pats On WROR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bresna

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
He was asked about AV's signing.

He started out with "In Bill I Trust" but by the end of the conversation he was saying that of the whole team, AV and Brady were the two franchise guys and he went as far as saying AV was more valuable than Brady!

He also said that Bob Kraft should have stepped in and told BB that this was a case where the budget shouldn't be discussed.

Of course, Ryan prefaced all of this with a statement that if AV just comes out and tells everyone that this was all his doing, he'd forgive the Pats. :)

EDIT:
Almost forgot... Ryan also mentioned that Bill Parcells always claimed that Lawrence Taylor "made him what he was". In other words, because of LT, Parcells became a great coach. Ryan then went to say that AV "made" BB the coach he is. According to Ryan, without AV, we wouldn't have 3 Superbowl championships. Of course, he only cited the SnowBowl kicks. :)

Last edited:
bresna said:

He started out with "In Bill I Trust" but by the end of the conversation he was saying that of the whole team, AV and Brady were the two franchise guys and he went as far as saying AV was more valuable than Brady!

He also said that Bob Kraft should have stepped in and told BB that this was a case where the budget shouldn't be discussed.

Of course, Ryan prefaced all of this with a statement that if AV just comes out and tells everyone that this was all his doing, he'd forgive the Pats. :)

EDIT:
Almost forgot... Ryan also mentioned that Bill Parcells always claimed that Lawrence Taylor "made him what he was". In other words, because of LT, Parcells became a great coach. Ryan then went to say that AV "made" BB the coach he is. According to Ryan, without AV, we wouldn't have 3 Superbowl championships. Of course, he only cited the SnowBowl kicks. :)
While I disagree with most of what you quote Ryan as saying above, I do think that most likely, if we had any other kicker in the league, the Pats wouldn't have won all three of those Super Bowls.

Isn't it fashionable to blast the Patriots now?? Jump on the bandwagon Bob..maybe you are just getting senile..or that some of Borges is rubbing off...

big mike said:
I do think that most likely, if we had any other kicker in the league, the Pats wouldn't have won all three of those Super Bowls.

Exactly, a lot of people seem to be discounting this little tidbit as they robotically declare how genius the Pats are after very player defection...

IMO Ryan was a little delusional with the AV over Brady comment though. :D

Adam more important thatn Brady? Is Ryan drunk on the air?

Adam was the MVP that first playoff run. No one can say otherwsie.

The idea he is somehow the first or second most vital guy is just nuts. How about Seymour or Vrabel or Bruschi or Branch or Willie or Rodney or Ty Law or even some OL guys like Light.

He was an important piece but get a grip. More valuable than Brady?

big mike said:
While I disagree with most of what you quote Ryan as saying above, I do think that most likely, if we had any other kicker in the league, the Pats wouldn't have won all three of those Super Bowls.

Probably not the first, But probably the second and without a doubt the third

Just posted a thread saying that the Patiots front office was ranked #1 in ESPN's Draft Guide.

And , Bob Ryan is ranked where as far as national sports writers? His best days were when he was covering the Celtics and Bird. Been all down hill fro him from there.

PATSNUTme said:
Just posted a thread saying that the Patiots front office was ranked #1 in ESPN's Draft Guide.

And , Bob Ryan is ranked where as far as national sports writers? His best days were when he was covering the Celtics and Bird. Been all down hill fro him from there.

The Celtics and Bird? Those were halcyon days, weren't they?

if we had any other kicker in the league, the Pats wouldn't have won all three of those Super Bowls.

So Adam Vinateri is the only kicker in the league who could have made a 48 yard kick and a 41 yard kick in a dome? That's absurd! Let's not forget he missed a chipshot field goal of 31 measley yards in Superbowl 38.

re

big mike said:

How does this have anything to do with giving out contracts for the future?

Why can't we, as fans, appreciate what Vinatieri did, while understanding that the Pats didn't think AV was worth another 3 million-dollar contract? Adam was only 4-8 from 40+ field goals last year. Remember how many times Belichick went for it on 4th on the 30-35 yard line? He had no faith in the field goal.

Packers fans: But we can't cut Favre! He was so good 5 years ago!!
Patriots fans: But we can't find another kicker! AV was the reason we won three years ago!!

WAAAAH. Give me a break.

maverick4 said:
How does this have anything to do with giving out contracts for the future?

Why can't we, as fans, appreciate what Vinatieri did, while understanding that the Pats didn't think AV was worth another 3 million-dollar contract? Adam was only 4-8 from 40+ field goals last year. Remember how many times Belichick went for it on 4th on the 30-35 yard line? He had no faith in the field goal.

Packers fans: But we can't cut Favre! He was so good 5 years ago!!
Patriots fans: But we can't find another kicker! AV was the reason we won three years ago!!

WAAAAH. Give me a break.

And it might cost us a 6th round pick to replace him!

EDIT:
Almost forgot... Ryan also mentioned that Bill Parcells always claimed that Lawrence Taylor "made him what he was". In other words, because of LT, Parcells became a great coach. Ryan then went to say that AV "made" BB the coach he is. According to Ryan, without AV, we wouldn't have 3 Superbowl championships. Of course, he only cited the SnowBowl kicks. :)[/QUOTE]

Maybe i`m getting senile but didnt the raiders kicker kick field goals
in that snow bowl game

bresna said:

"AV and Brady were the two franchise guys and he went as far as saying AV was more valuable than Brady!"
EDIT:
"Ryan then went to say that AV "made" BB the coach he is. According to Ryan, without AV, we wouldn't have 3 Superbowl championships. Of course, he only cited the SnowBowl kicks. "

Bob Ryan has the problem of ALWAYS being a sports writer, he just says what is popular today and popular tomorrow. DOes it make sense? Yes, because Adam is gone and to the Colts, which matters. Will it make as much sense once we get a kicker better than average? No, because it wont be popular to us and thus to Bob Ryan.
I'd love to see Ryan say that in a room including Brady and Adam, theres no way he would, Brady and Belichick are the most valuable people in New England, Ryan knows that, but he spoke before everyone started talking about Adam's percentage which has been sliming down year after year, and back injuries.
Let the Colts overpay for a kicker and all their offense, we'll overpay for a great quarterback that will "TAKE" a paycut in order to get good free agents to compete, because whats money anyways after you've got it? Tissue paper! The Colts can tell you that.

I will never doubt Belichick until we are dead last in our divison.

patriotsox said:
Bob Ryan has the problem of ALWAYS being a sports writer, he just says what is popular today and popular tomorrow. DOes it make sense? Yes, because Adam is gone and to the Colts, which matters. Will it make as much sense once we get a kicker better than average? No, because it wont be popular to us and thus to Bob Ryan.
I'd love to see Ryan say that in a room including Brady and Adam, theres no way he would, Brady and Belichick are the most valuable people in New England, Ryan knows that, but he spoke before everyone started talking about Adam's percentage which has been sliming down year after year, and back injuries.
Let the Colts overpay for a kicker and all their offense, we'll overpay for a great quarterback that will "TAKE" a paycut in order to get good free agents to compete, because whats money anyways after you've got it? Tissue paper! The Colts can tell you that.

I will never doubt Belichick until we are dead last in our divison.
I wouldn't go that far; there should be signs of something wrong before they hit dead last (unless it's 0 - 1 vs. 1-0, 1-0, 1-0 or something).

Re Bob Ryan, I think he and Mike Lupica are the two best sports writers, and commentators, right now, at least as they come across on the Sports Reporters show. To me, he nails a lot of issues dead on. I was going to write something about "franchise players" (before that term came about WRT a way of paying a player for one season) being worth special consideration but it's all been said about 10¹º times already.

pats60 said:
EDIT:

in that snow bowl game[/QUOTE]

Good point. You know, in fact I think Janikoski actually hit a 50 yarder in that one.

Last edited:
OK, just checked nfl.com Janikowski hit two, One on a 38 yarder and the other a 45 yarder.

shmessy said:
in that snow bowl game

Good point. You know, in fact I think Janikoski actually hit a 50 yarder in that one.[/QUOTE]
We couldn't sign Janikowski, he'd pick fights in every bar in the state. He has a good kicker rating for that too.

shmessy said:
OK, just checked nfl.com Janikowski hit two, One on a 38 yarder and the other a 45 yarder.
Just from recalling watching the game on TV, I think the snow and wind were worse during the second half compared to when Janikowski made his field goals. Re Janikowski, at this point, I'd take him. He has one strooooong mf-ing leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes