PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Biggest off-season need(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally can't pinpoint one because there is so much so i'll just say OFFENSE. No defense (maybe a compensatory pick on a safety) but we need to go all offense. WR, OL (G & C), TE, RB are all needs
It sounds like you think that we have one of the worst offenses in the league.

Yeah, I think people are starting to mix up "needs" and draft wishlists.

:)

It sounds like you think that we have one of the worst offenses in the league.
No but Tom needs help, i can't stress that enough. You cannot put it all on Gronk otherwise eventually we will kill him. Personally i would give my first this year and next for the best WR to come out of college since Megatron in Amari Cooper. The fact i think he blows someone as good as Mike Evans out of the water says it all really.

If they pull off the SB this season we are talking dynasty with someone like Cooper added to this team. Please don't forget Brady is still working miracles this year, what he's doing with Lafell who was essentially a cast off is incredible.

Last edited:
You're correct. You said that we should cut Vollmer and Solder. You said that we should draft two OT's. But sure, we could start Cannon and Fleming.
Or a free agent.

Holding my breath that Brady doesn't hold out. Very plausible.

Holding my breath that Brady doesn't hold out. Very plausible.

Out of anything that could possibly happen in the offseason, Tom Brady and the front office not being able to come to financial agreement is at the very bottom of the list.

Any talk of holdout is completely ridiculous in my opinion. This is coming completely out of left field.

No but Tom needs help, i can't stress that enough. You cannot put it all on Gronk otherwise eventually we will kill him. Personally i would give my first this year and next for the best WR to come out of college since Megatron in Amari Cooper. The fact i think he blows someone as good as Mike Evans out of the water says it all really.

If they pull off the SB this season we are talking dynasty with someone like Cooper added to this team. Please don't forget Brady is still working miracles this year, what he's doing with Lafell who was essentially a cast off is incredible.

I honestly don't think that giving up next year's first rounder (likely another selection in the 20s, if you're seeing things as a realistic NFL GM) would be anything close to securing the kind of top 5 pick that it'd take to reel in Amari Cooper.

If it were that easy, we could assume that Belichick would be taking chances at elite talent every few years--mostly on defense.

Out of anything that could possibly happen in the offseason, Tom Brady and the front office not being able to come to financial agreement is at the very bottom of the list.

Any talk of holdout is completely ridiculous in my opinion. This is coming completely out of left field.
Mgtech thinks it isn't. See thread "will Brady really play for 7m next year". Or something like that.

I was being sarcastic .

Yeah, I think people are starting to mix up "needs" and draft wishlists.

:)
starting?

Don't you think that we need to add a stud pass rusher and the next Magatron? :)

Offensive Line:

Offensive Left Tackle
Offensive Left Guard
Offensive Right Guard

Center - Stork, Wendell
Right Tackle - Vollmer, Fleming

The rest of the offensive lineman are a complete waste of money and/or time.

I honestly don't think that giving up next year's first rounder (likely another selection in the 20s, if you're seeing things as a realistic NFL GM) would be anything close to securing the kind of top 5 pick that it'd take to reel in Amari Cooper.

If it were that easy, we could assume that Belichick would be taking chances at elite talent every few years--mostly on defense.

But just tell me honestly how good this offense would be if we have Gronk, Edelman, Lafell AND Cooper. Then you draft heavy on O-line talent, maybe you just let Ridley with a point to prove come back to solve RB crisis and pick up a bargain in the draft. All that to go along with signing Revis. The need for another pass catching TE becomes obsolete if you pick Cooper.

You cannot tell me that giving what are 2 essentially 2nd round picks is not good business when you consider how late the Pats wait to actually pick. Obviously like you said we would probably need more to get a pick high enough for Cooper. I'm sorry but if you're really caring about Tom then you break the bank for a generational talent that is going to make you a lock to go to SB's until he can no longer throw especially when you consider how good the rest of the team is.

Mgtech thinks it isn't. See thread "will Brady really play for 7m next year". Or something like that.

I was being sarcastic .
???

I said that I expected the team to give Brady a raise. So, no I don't think that Brady will play for $7M next year. And I did start the conversation y indicating that Brady's agent should approach management. I found the response very interesting. The number of folks that essentially wanted to tell brady to "stick it" was impressive.

I think that a raise for Brady much more likely than us cutting both Solder and Vollmer as you have suggested.

I was being sarcastic .

Sorry that I missed the sarcasm. Even if Brady isn't satisfied and goes back on his original deal (I believe that both parties stated something in the "we don't sign 'fake' contracts" when it was done), then one would assume that they can reach a middle ground.

After all, they've managed to do it every time that it's come up in the past, and I'm sure that both parties have incentive to keep things moving in the right direction.

Offensive Line:

Offensive Left Tackle
Offensive Left Guard
Offensive Right Guard

Center - Stork, Wendell
Right Tackle - Vollmer, Fleming

The rest of the offensive lineman are a complete waste of money and/or time.
=====================================
I think that we are fine at center and on the right side with five players.
C - Stork
RG - Fleming, Wendell
RT - Vollmer, Cannon
If anything, I would consider extending Wendell again.
Cannon is going nowhere. Besides, Fleming is much more of a RG than an OT.
======================================
It is the left side that needs the help. Our possibilities are Solder, Connolly, Kline, Devey, and Barker. All could be gone, or not.

Last edited:
But just tell me honestly how good this offense would be if have Gronk, Edelman, Lafell AND Cooper. Then you draft heavy on O-line talent, maybe you just let Ridley with a point to prove come back to solve RB crisis and pick up a bargain in the draft. All that to go along with signing Revis. The need for another pass catching TE becomes obsolete if you pick Cooper.

You cannot tell me that giving what are 2 essentially 2nd round picks is not good business when you consider how late the Pats wait to actually pick. Obviously like you said we would probably need more to get a pick high enough for Cooper. I'm sorry but if you're really caring about Tom then you break the bank for a generational talent that is going to make you a lock to go to SB's until he can no longer throw especially when you consider how good the rest of the team is.

I'm all for finding that elusive downfield threat/outside receiver. It was just yesterday when Rex Ryan boasted that he felt the NYJ corners matched up extremely well with our outside threats (or lack thereof), which allowed their defense to do the things they wanted to do.

The problem(s) become:

1. Finding that WR in the draft, particularly when you have seen so many fail at the concept of being intelligent/hard working enough to pick up the system

2. The fact that they don't pick high enough

3. The financial compensation that it'd take to bring in a free agent at 10+m dollars per year

4. The hit/miss poor ratio that is often seen, specifically with a harder system--which makes a coach/GM think twice about potentially "wasting" a higher round pick, or taking a gamble at a free agent who has talent

At this point, I think I just want to see 3-4 outside threats brought in, whether that means high picks, middle picks, low picks, highly sought after FAs, UDFAs, or players off the street. They need to keep throwing stuff at the wall to see if anything sticks.

It is late in the year. I nominate this post for the worst analysis of the year. It is not clear that Belichick would start ONE rookie OT (not picked in the top 10). He certainly wouldn't start two.

He's started one rookie OT fairly often, no? RT was a revolving door until Kaczur ... and that can perhaps be taken two ways.

I ditto that. I'd go all out for a receiver so this Dobson/Tyms/Boyce/any other JAG project can finally end then i'd just go crazy on o-line for at least 4 rounds because it's that bad. Personally i see a determined Ridley come back (on a cheap prove a point deal) and smash his own yardage record so no need to go high for an Abdullah/Gurley etc.

I'm all for finding that elusive downfield threat/outside receiver. It was just yesterday when Rex Ryan boasted that he felt the NYJ corners matched up extremely well with our outside threats (or lack thereof), which allowed their defense to do the things they wanted to do.

The problem(s) become:

1. Finding that WR in the draft, particularly when you have seen so many fail at the concept of being intelligent/hard working enough to pick up the system

2. The fact that they don't pick high enough

3. The financial compensation that it'd take to bring in a free agent at 10+m dollars per year

4. The hit/miss poor ratio that is often seen, specifically with a harder system--which makes a coach/GM think twice about potentially "wasting" a higher round pick, or taking a gamble at a free agent who has talent

At this point, I think I just want to see 3-4 outside threats brought in, whether that means high picks, middle picks, low picks, highly sought after FAs, UDFAs, or players off the street. They need to keep throwing stuff at the wall to see if anything sticks.

Point 1 shouldn't even be a point because we are not talking about developmental here, we are talking about a receiver who has HOF talent and work ethic. Whatever situation he goes to and that's including NYJ, OAK, TEN he is a pro bowler at the least.

Point 2 has to be solved based on need. Do you feel that giving up late 1st rounders getting 2/3 Easley's is worth it to get someone like Cooper? No brainer for me.

Point 3, that's far down the road where as with Tom you are in win now mode.

Point 4, you are for sure not wasting any picks if you take a guy that is dominating college football at the position in a pro style fashion not seen for a long time.

One more really important thing, have you seen how humble and hard working Cooper is? There is not a locker room better than our own he fits better in. I don't think i've ever seen him celebrate a 1st down.

OT
OG
WR

I'm tired of jags at RB as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes