PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 WR/PTP Thread

Here are the Pats' picks in Rd1-4 over the last ~20yrs. Plates at a Greek wedding have a better chance of staying unbroken than an early drafted WR by the Pats. I hope the announcer says Opa! right after a WR pick in Rd1-4. Is this bad luck (to offset the great fortune of the era), bad players/GM-ing, bad S&C, bad coaching, all of the above, or what? Maybe stop training them like they're (the fictional version of) Frank Dux? Don't answer that, as it's rhetorical that this point and discussed ad nauseam.

2022 - Thornton - injured to start season
2019 - N'Keal - injured to start season
2016 - MMitchell - injured start of 2nd season to effectively end career
2013 - Dobson - injured throughout 1st season and beyond
2013 - Boyce - drafted with a toe injury - guess what? injuries!
2010 - TPrice - injured to start season
2009 - BTate - oh look another drafted with injury
2006 - CJackson - injured to start season
2003 - Bethel - mild injury in rookie minicamp - he had a ruptured spleen 2yrs before his rookie season that led to intestinal blockage year after
2002 - Deion - injured to end season
On a related note about breaking WRs, I can relate to Jake Bailey. I'm 100% sure my doing a more formal squat program in my mid 20s was the main culprit for my knee injuries, and my form was immaculate. In my teens, I was able to dunk a tennis ball on a 10' regulation hoop just fine without weights as a fairly short guy. Thankfully, I can still run relatively fast in a straight line.

On a related note about breaking WRs, I can relate to Jake Bailey. I'm 100% sure my doing a more formal squat program in my mid 20s was the main culprit for my knee injuries, and my form was immaculate. In my teens, I was able to dunk a tennis ball on a 10' regulation hoop just fine without weights as a fairly short guy. Thankfully, I can still run relatively fast in a straight line.

Glad you can still run man. I couldn't agree more on the heavy squatting, especially for someone like a punter which is really about posterior mobility. That's wild to me that they would try to mess with that stuff, especially on someone who is not only quite good but developed physically. When I started grappling competitively in my late twenties my knees only lasted about three years before it became load management on wrestling practice. I can't even shoot anymore. All my takedowns are straight Greco and Judo now. And, like you, I wholly attribute this to constantly trying to PR in college.

A 2nd and future 2nd for Jeudy and draft JSN somewhere in the 1st. That gives Thornton some breathing room and very nice 1-2 for years to come. Both are absolutely perfect for Mac. I would take those over every 1-2 in our division save Hill/Waddle who are Z tier. Just as good as it gets.

A 2nd and future 2nd for Jeudy and draft JSN somewhere in the 1st. That gives Thornton some breathing room and very nice 1-2 for years to come. Both are absolutely perfect for Mac. I would take those over every 1-2 in our division save Hill/Waddle who are Z tier. Just as good as it gets.

Draft JSN in the 1st and trade a 2nd for Jeudy? Where does that leave us at CB1 and LT? I am not sure Thornton having breathing room takes precedence over a LT of the future.

Draft JSN in the 1st and trade a 2nd for Jeudy? Where does that leave us at CB1 and LT? I am not sure Thornton having breathing room takes precedence over a LT of the future.
I highly doubt we'll be able to find a starting LT, CB1, WR1/2, blocking TE etc in the same off-season by the way things are looking. You'll have to live with some things. And this isn't just about giving Thornton breathing room. That's far down the list. I would be as inclined for QJ I should say as well.

It's more than obvious we're trying to improve the wr corp. At some point I'd like to just fix the decade(s) old problem and move on.

Plus there's other picks, ways to attain players.

This is just a "fix the WR" scenario btw. It's not like I'm dead set on this.

Funny how the title blames the Patriots Stength and Conditioning staff but the article states says :
"And I kind of tried to start something new, trying to be more a part of the program. And it just really backfired the whole season I was doing it"

Either poorly written article or poorly written title for click bait. It sure looks like Bailey made the decision and not the Patriots..

Anyone know if Parker Washington is planning on running tomorrow at Penn St.'s timing day?

Anyone know if Parker Washington is planning on running tomorrow at Penn St.'s timing day?
Great minds think alike DB I really like P Washington for us love his moves from the Slot.

Any update on Southern Methodist's Pro-Day? Really interested in how Rashee Rice did in the 3-cone and shuttle.

Any update on Southern Methodist's Pro-Day? Really interested in how Rashee Rice did in the 3-cone and shuttle.

I reached out to Dallas Morning News reporter Joseph Hoyt in regards to Rice's 3-cone and shuttle.. Here is what he stated:

Jospeh Hoyt said:
He did 4.23 in the shuttle, and 7.02 in the 3-cone l drill.

@BaconGrundleCandy - I noticed that Rice fell off your list. Any particular reason?

Which of the guys on the WR list do you think would be the best SLOT receivers (even TALL slot) for the Pats?

This guy if available in 3rd round . 23 bench reps. Physical guy. Pretty good route runner. Safe hands. Great contested abilities . Should be a decent Meyers replacement and a foundational piece. If Thornton blazes away , Wilson could see some easier matchups and blaze away on his own. I see a little bit of deebo Samuels in Michael Wilson.

My huge problem with the guy (especially after listing the injury problems of all Rd1-4 Pats WRs over the last 20 years) is a season ending foot injury in 2020 which carried over into 2021. Then there's also another season ending injury (unknown/too lazy to find what) halfway through 2022. Hasn't played a full season since 2019. Didn't pay attention to him, but looked good in Senior Bowl activities. Measurables are very similar to Jakobi's, albeit a pinch faster (and obv the bench). Also, Pats drafted the Combine bench record holder, but he was... a bust.

Super unconfirmed birdcalls site says 6.81 3 cone and 4.16 shuttle for pro day. I'd hate on the 12.9% drop rate (pff?), but 3 of my 5 binkies/subbinkies have bad drop rates.

Speaking of drop rates: Using the source (steeldepo) to get the 12.9% which supposedly grabbed off of PFF, here're a number of <5% drop rate WRs:

Addison 3.3%
Downs 3.1%
Iosivas 4.5%
CharJones 2.7%
Jacob Copeland 3.9%
Nikko Remigio? 3.9% - Random - the only mock this guy is on is a Rd7 to Pats
Kearis Jackson 4.5%
Justin Shorter 0% - huh 11.11 100m for a 6'4.2" dude - catching passes from "I also can't catch every pass" AR15 - curious how the pro day goes

Oh geez they're gonna pick Charlie, aren't they, and it'll be Mac and Chaz.

Last edited:
Losivas or Charlie Jones in 4th round is also good for me. Maybe kuntz too if he falls to 4th.

Losivas or Charlie Jones in 4th round is also good for me. Maybe kuntz too if he falls to 4th.
As far as receiving goes, I like kuntz a lot. Could the catch radius be better? Maybe. But he tracks the ball fairly well

I’m starting to feel Charlie Jones could be a steal in the fourth.

Lit up Penn State (12/153/1), Syracuse (11/188/1), and Michigan (13/162/0). While he may not have always been covered by #1 CB at all times in those games he was their only threat receiver (triple the yards of next best receiver) so likely got them most of the time. That’s Porter Jr. top 15 pick, Garrett Williams 2/3 round pick, and DJ Turner 2/3 round pick.

May have lowest drop rate per PFF, RAS of 8.48 (Flowers is 8.27). For 2022 was 1st in receptions, 2nd in yards, 5th in TDs. At 5’11” he’s also taller than a lot of the higher rated receivers this year.

I’m starting to feel Charlie Jones could be a steal in the fourth.

Lit up Penn State (12/153/1), Syracuse (11/188/1), and Michigan (13/162/0). While he may not have always been covered by #1 CB at all times in those games he was their only threat receiver (triple the yards of next best receiver) so likely got them most of the time. That’s Porter Jr. top 15 pick, Garrett Williams 2/3 round pick, and DJ Turner 2/3 round pick.

May have lowest drop rate per PFF, RAS of 8.48 (Flowers is 8.27). For 2022 was 1st in receptions, 2nd in yards, 5th in TDs. At 5’11” he’s also taller than a lot of the higher rated receivers this year.
He was my intial binkie and then dropped in favor of Wilson. I wouldn't be unhappy if they drafted him early 4th round by trading up.

Haven’t gone through Wilson yet, release clip at Sr Bowl looked sick.

He was my intial binkie and then dropped in favor of Wilson. I wouldn't be unhappy if they drafted him early 4th round by trading up.
Why would they need to trade up to get him?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back