PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 IOL/PTP Thread

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We can use this thread to talk about IOL/PTP. I'll keep adding but this is a decent list to go off.

* = versatility

Tier 1
Kenyon Green - 6'4/325 - TAMU

Josh Sills - 6'6/325 - OK St (*LG, RG & both tackle spots)

Matthew Bedord - 6'6/315 - Indiana (*both tackle spots)

Thayer Munford - 6'6/310 - OSU (*T)

Zion Johnson - 6'3/310 - BC (*LT)

Tier 2
Eli Cox - 6'4/295 - Kentucky

Dohnovan West - 6'3/315 - ASU

Jordan McFadden - 6'2/300 - Clemson

Josh Rivas - 6'6/325 - Kansas St

Doug Nester - 6'6/330 - West Virginia

Chasen Hines - 6'3/350 - LSU (* G & C)

Connor Olson - 6'5/305 - Minnesota (*LG, RG & C)

Lecitus Smith - 6'3/315 - VA Tech

Hunter Woodard - 6'4/295 - OK St

Cade Mays - 6'4/320 - Tennessee (*OL)

Blaise Andries - 6'6/320 - Minnesota

Sidy Sow - 6'5/335 - Eastern Michigan

Aaron Frost - 6'4/310 - Nevada

Tier 3
Emil Ekiyor - 6'3/325 - Alabama

Cain Madden - 6'3/315 - Notre Dame

Ed Ingram - 6'3/315 - LSU

Kevin Jarvis - 6'4/310 - Michigan St (*LT)

Nick Ford - 6'5/320 - Utah

Cole Strange - 6'4/300 - Chattanooga

Paul Grattan - 6'4/300 - UCLA (*G & C)

Center

Tier 1

Tyler Linderbaum - 6'3/290 - Iowa

Tier 2
John Michael Schmitz - 6'3/320 - Minnesota

Ricky Stromberg - 6'4/310 - Arkansas (*G)

Alex Forsyth - 6'3/305 - Oregon (*LT)

Jarrett Patterson - 6'5/300 - Notre Dame

Luke Fortner - 6'6/300 - Kentucky (*RG)

Grant Gibson - 6'/305 - NC ST

Derek Kerstetter - 6'5/300 - Texas (*RT, G)

Tier 2A
Ben Brown - 6'5/320 - Ole Miss (*G)

Dohnovan West - 6'3/315 - ASU (*G)

Alec Lindstrom - 6'3/295 - BC

Luke Matthews - 6'4/320 - TAMU

Matt Allen - 6'3/305 - Michigan St

Luke Wattenberg - 6'3/300 - Washington

James Empey - 6'4/300 - BYU

Tier 3
Bryce Harris - 6'3/295 - Toledo

Gerard Wheeler - 6'3/330 - Tulsa

Corey Gaynor - 6'4/300 - Miami

Sailor of Georgia is a guy I like a ton for offensive guard. Right now, he is playing tackle for Georgia, but as a pro, he projects better at guard. Not the cleanest on technique, but has a great combination of pier and nastiness.

same with kinnard of Kentucky. As a guard, his power projects really well.

Last week sailor pretty much mauled Hutchinson of Michigan all game long.

this is a guy we move inside to guard and our running game improves immediately,

on Monday night he will have his hands full with the mega pass rusher from alabama.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Patriots do in regards to their O-line coaching. Whether or not Popovich is back or they have Dante consult or what. Because, that's one of the biggest issues with the O-line.. Bricillo and Yates seem to be in over their head. As I stated in another thread, NONE of the O-line have been consistent this year. And, personally, it was a HUGE mistake putting Onwenu on the bench in favor of Karras. Onwenu was consistently their best O-linemen while Brown was out. Yet, they put HIM on the bench??? Makes zero sense. It's just awesome that Onwenu is so selfless and is willing to do whatever the team wants.

I really hope they can find someone who can push Andrews. Andrews is just an above average Center. He's good to very good at calling out blocking assignments. He's an above average run blocker and a good to very good pass blocker. He's below average at picking up stunts, twists and delayed blitzes that come through the "A" gaps. I think I've seen him pick up ONE all season. Opposing teams KNOW this and have taken advantage of it regularly to put pressure on all the different QBs over the last 5 years.

Depending on what the Pats decide with Onwenu (RT or LG) will determine what they'll do in the first round. If Onwenu goes inside, then I see them grabbing OT in the first to play at RT and then shift to LT after Wynn moves on. If the Pats put Onwenu at RT, then I see them grabbing a DL to help Barmore, Judon, etc. and then go to Oline in the 2nd round.

I fully expect the Pats to pick up an OC in the 4th/5th round like they did with Koppen and then Stork. Hopefully, they'll stay away from any O-Line with a history of concussions, but who is good to very good technically the way that Koppen and Andrews have been.

Oh. The other thing I'd be interested in finding out is if the Patriots changed who it is that is scouting the O-linemen. With the misses of Froholdt, Woodard and McDermott plus the jury being out on whether Cajuste can ACTUALLY do anything, that area of the department needs a bit of an upgrade. (Note: The jury is still out on Sherman and I can't blame the scouting department for Garcia getting bloodclots in his lungs)

Interesting that he doesn't mention Linderbaum.

Linderbaum looks to be the "prototypical" size (6'3-290) Center that the Pats have used since Dan Koppen took over. And with the wrestling background and Belichick's success with Neal, I wonder where Linderbaum is on their list.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Does he have the smarts that the Pats look for (like calling out defensive alignments)? Has he shown an ability to pick up stunts/twists/ late Blitzer up the "A" gap? How is he on Pass Pro / Run Pro?

Interesting that he doesn't mention Linderbaum.

Linderbaum looks to be the "prototypical" size (6'3-290) Center that the Pats have used since Dan Koppen took over. And with the wrestling background and Belichick's success with Neal, I wonder where Linderbaum is on their list.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Does he have the smarts that the Pats look for (like calling out defensive alignments)? Has he shown an ability to pick up stunts/twists/ late Blitzer up the "A" gap? How is he on Pass Pro / Run Pro?
Apologies I'm done with sh¡tposting.

Reminds me of a young Jason Kelce in the run game. And Kelce is a potential HOF player. I'm not putting that type of ceiling on TL but play style is freaky similar imo. I say that lightly but his movements, get off, speed, ability on combo blocks is so real.

One of the better combo blockers I've seen in terms of being rhythm with his mate. Hip and shoulders working in sync, tight. Efficient steps climbing and awareness in the second level. Plays with plus leverage and carries that through his block. Plus leg drive. Plus Finisher.

Very vocal on the line. Calling out protection / blitzes. He's missed a few blitzes but he's very aware and smart in terms of what's happening and what could happen. Absolutely can pick up stunts and manipulated pressure. Stands out with his instincts and awareness for a guy that hasn't been playing the position that long.

Wrestling background really stands out with his footwork, body control - ability to go body to body with someone and maintain balance. Controls with his blocks with serious grip strength and hand placement. Powerful paws.

Has enough power but definitely good gain some strength. Frame is almost maxed but he could get to 300 lb easy in a year or two. Again he hasn't even been at a set spot for a while so someone will get a hold of him and really max him out. Not worried there.

Needs to get stronger but again is new to the position and just getting started. He's a big time worker.

He might have trouble with bigger or quicker guys with length but I haven't seen it bother him much on film.

Obviously every one knows about his wrestling background but he's a true athlete that played everything in HS from track & field events to baseball and stood out in everything he did. Recruited as OL/DL.

He really just needs experience and a little work here and there. No outstanding flaws or concerns. If you're a running team that needs a C and a leader. Run a good amount of zone you have to be thinking about him early. He'll fit in any run system imo though. He's just dynamite in so many areas and has a will to get better.

at 290 pounds, he is going to get mauled on the inside against nfl linemen.
It didn't happen in the Big10 and Iowa ran the ball....A LOT. He is too gifted of an athlete and being a former wrestler gives him that leverage advantage at 6'2. I think "mauled" is a bit of an exaggeration. They should just put him up against Vea right now to see how he holds up. Lucky for him there aren't many Vea's around.

It didn't happen in the Big10 and Iowa ran the ball....A LOT. He is too gifted of an athlete and being a former wrestler gives him that leverage advantage at 6'2. I think "mauled" is a bit of an exaggeration. They should just put him up against Vea right now to see how he holds up. Lucky for him there aren't many Vea's around.
He can always get stronger and add a little weight as well. Remember he's brand new to the position. Training for that specific spot. Now this will be his only concern.

I'm interested to watch him bc he's really fun.

I don’t know. That is the big 10. I would have liked to see him go up against any of the Georgia defensive tackles last year. That would be more nfl ready players.

Great stuff here. Zion is a target for sure. As is Jones.

Zion is one of the more versatile OL'm in the draft. They had him at C this week too.

Watched the shrine bowl and was impressed with the center named Howerton. Might be the next andrews, if we can sign him as an UDFA.

I like Dohnovan West at center. One of those bigger bodied centers that can work on an island.

If Bill does the smart thing and trades out of #21 often enough to acquire an extra Day 2 pick plus At Least Two extra Day 3 picks, then I wouldn't mind seeing one of those Day 3s spent on a versatile guy with Center experience like Jamboree Salyer or Ben Brown, or more-strictly LGs like Justin Shaffer or Josh Rivas... Provided that our need for a LT (and Yes we do need a LT) has already been filled by no later than our 4th-round pick.

Smith isn't a 1st rounder by the measurements the Pats usually go by. His vertical is low.

Paul, on the other hand, is intriguing. 4.89 - 40 for a big man is pretty ridiculous. 4.83 Shuttle. Could be a Karras replacement since he's played all 5 OL positions. Love to hear @BaconGrundleCandy chime in.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back