PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 IDL/PTP Thread

Did I read correctly that Jordan Davis is 26 years old already, and will be 27 by the time of the draft? Is this true? I don’t see his DOB listed anywhere, but a bunch of questionable websites say Fox Sports says he was born March 1995. An mid-career NFL aged guy going up against 21 year olds is a huge red flag from a 1st rounder perspective, which is why I’m questioning it.

maybe Davis is a Mormon and went on a long mission!

Was watching some tape on Peevy of Texas a&m. He gets overlooked because of the other two guys on the line with him, but he appears to be able to play the zero and is above average as a run defender.

he is not much of a pass rusher, but as a two down run stopper, he has some ability.

I need to look at some others other than Davis in case he is gone before Pick 21

I need to look at some others other than Davis in case he is gone before Pick 21
Travis Jones is a name to remember

Jordan Davis is the guy. If he kills the combine will probably have to move up to get him and I’m ok with that. Run defense needs help and this kid spells double team which helps Barmore and Judon get less attention to do their thing.

You can make the argument for OT which is defintely a huge need, CB and LB. But this pick I think fixes the mess all in one swoop.

Travis Jones is a name to remember

his tape is all over the place.

the biggest takeaway I have on jones is that he, along with Davis of Georgia, would work best in an odd man front.

plays on skates a bit, so he will need some time to fine tune technique.

his tape is all over the place.

the biggest takeaway I have on jones is that he, along with Davis of Georgia, would work best in an odd man front.

plays on skates a bit, so he will need some time to fine tune technique.
Do you watch A22? Big disagree.

IDL/PTP thread

Like last year, it's not the strongest class but a few nice prizes up top. And like last year I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move to get a top prospect rather wait on a weaker classes depth.

Davis is definitely one of those prizes in this years class. Being big doesn't equate to stopping the run or being an impact player in today's game. You need motor, aggressiveness and lateral movement skills. Davis might not ever be an impact pass rusher but he's all of the above and can disrupt a line for sure.

Just an unbelievably big boy at 6'6 340 but he's an athlete at that size. Carries it well. He really took his game to another level this year in terms of flash plays. The motor and aggression you want to see consistently from a guy that size. Look he'll probably always be on a snap count if you're smart but that's cool with me if I can get 40-50 Terminator reps a game. Agile big boy, light, nimple feet. Can be used on stunts inside. He'll never stop on a dime but he can change direction and move east / west. Love the motor. He'll show up down field angry making plays.

Inconsistent first step but it's to be expected at his size. He can jump a snap. Inconsistent but decent get off for his size.

Makes use of what length he has. I'll be interested to see this. I usually look for still photos and try to see how far past the hip someone's hand is. He utilizes what he has well. He's a bench pressing machine and reps out fast. He'll continue to punch, push a OL'm out of the way. Power paws. Bill loves guys that can shock you with their hands (Spikes, Barmore, HT) and Davis has strong hands. Good punch placement and extension. He'll work for better position as the rep moves goes on.

Tries to knock down passes and is aware of the play, eyes are up looking at the QB.

The intriguing thing about him and Barmore is that you could never double Barmore. Even on 3rd dkwn. He might not be your typical 3rd down player but his power, motor and hands are problem every down and it's really impossible not to devout max attention towards him. Just to mix it up I'm definitely not restricting him. 2 gap eater very rarely moved backwards. Knows to attack doubles. Resets the line even if he can't get to the QB.

Loved in the locker room by coaches and players. Has the respect in both his and visiting locker rooms. Other coaches understand his impact on that defense and what he's done for guys like Dean, Cine, Tindall. Smart talks him up and he should. He really allows you to get away with certain things if you have the athletes they do.

He thrive and survive in a multiple front of odd/even. He is who he is but has played 3T in Smart's system and Bill doesn't exactly ask his to rush the passer at times either. You can move him around a bit. Especially with guys like Barmore and Judon next to him. That could be a scary group.

Like his push / pull and would like to see him use it and develop it more. He needs one more go-to and a good counter imo. Again this will never be a strong point but has a little potential. Again strong active hands can disengage and get off blocks.

Seems like a smart player that is not only ready for but expecting half of what he sees. Power misdirection, he's ready.

There's a few other big boys we could grab and some disruptive 3T & others I'll talk about here. Let me know your favorites and who you like. There's plenty of athleticism in this group that most would probably include Leal in as well.

Should have a PTP list/board up in a few weeks fwiw.

Tier 1
Jordan Davis - 6'6/340 - Georgia

Perrion Winfrey - 6'3/300 - Oklahoma

Tier 1B
Travis Jones - 6'4/335 - UCONN

Tyler Davis - 6'2/300 - Clemson

D.J. Davidson - 6'4/325 - ASU

Zacch Pickens - 6'3/300 - South Carolina

Mosiah Nasil-Kite - 6'2/305 - Maryland

Thomas Booker - 6'4/310 - Stanford

Devonte Wyatt - 6'3/315 - Georgia

Cory Durden - 6'5/320 - NC State

Jermayne Lole - 6'1/310 - ASU

Mazi Smith - 6'3/330 - Michigan

Haskell Garrett - 6'2/300 - OSU

Phidarian Mathis - 6'4/315 - Alabama

Tier 2
Jayden Peevey - 6'6/300 - TAMU

John Ridgeway - 6'6/320 - Arkansas

Nathan Pickering - 6'4/310 - Mississippi St

Dashaun Mallory - 6'2/345 - Michigan St

Eyioma Uwazurike - 6'6/310 - Iowa St

DJ Dale - 6'3/310 - Alabama

Marquan McCall - 6'3/380 - Kentucky

Chris Hinton - 6'4/305 - Michigan

Tier 3
Scott Matlock - 6'4/300 - Boise St

Jaxon Player - 6'/300 - Tulsa

Dion Novil - 6'4/330 - North Texas

Taron Vincent - 6'2/300 - OSU

Trevon Mason - 6'5/310 - Arizona

Matthew Butler - 6'4/300 Tennessee

Neil Farrell - 6'4/320 - LSU

Keir Thomas - 6'2/275 - FSU

T'Vondre Sweat - 6'4/350 - Texas

Tier 4
Jowon Briggs - 6'1/310 - Cincinnati

Jayson Ademilola - 6'3/280 - Notre Dame

Lamonte McDougle - 6'/290 - UTSA

Dom Peterson - 6'/300 - Nevada

Ben Stille - 6'5/300 - Nebraska

Ralph Holley - 6'2/285 - Western Michigan

Kevin Atkins - 6'3/320 - Fresno St

Tyarise Stevenson - 6'3/350 - Tulsa

P.J. Mustipher - 6’4/325 - PSU

Aaron Faumui - 6'1/285 - Virginia

Devonnsha Maxwell - 6'2/300 - Chattanooga

Mustafa Johnson - 6'2/290 - Colorado

Jordan Williams - 6'4/310 - Va Tech

Jaylon Haynes - 6'2/290 - UTSA

Damarcus Elliott - 6'3/330 - Indiana

Nico Ezidore - 6'2/290 - Texas St

CJ Brewer - 6'2/290 - Coastal Carolina

Will Choloh - 6'/290 - Troy

Ifeanyi Maijeh - 6'2/285 - Rutgers

Kenny Turnier - 6'4/285 - TCU

Davis looks like a beast, but he does not move all that well - really big boy. I worry without more flexibility if he holds up well against better competition in the NFL. When I watch Vita Vea, he is a beast too, but moves well also (does not look stiff). I am not really good at evaluating, so maybe I am off, but why was he a 3rd round pick last year? I assume it is because he does not move all that well. I understand that a Vita Vea clone will never be available at RD1 21, but I wonder if a stiff guy who is a 2 down player is a good use of a 1st round pick. I say that hoping like hell that our 1st round pick is DT - I think we need a Nose and a Barmore clone and then we would finally turn the corner assuming our young LBs work out (Perkins, McGrone, McMillan - I am not an Uche fan because he looks lost to me, same as Jennings).

Perrion Winfrey looks like a Barmore clone, not a NT. He was a NT in college but looks more like a NFL DE 5T to me.

@BaconGrundleCandy Who in this class is the closest to a Vita Vea clone? I think Winfrey looks great and hope we get him, but am not really sold on Jordan Davis.

I agree with @Ochmed Jones that Jones is not convincing. Looks good, but young and inexperienced. Winfrey looks much better to me.

Davis looks like a beast, but he does not move all that well - really big boy. I worry without more flexibility if he holds up well against better competition in the NFL. When I watch Vita Vea, he is a beast too, but moves well also (does not look stiff). I am not really good at evaluating, so maybe I am off, but why was he a 3rd round pick last year? I assume it is because he does not move all that well. I understand that a Vita Vea clone will never be available at RD1 21, but I wonder if a stiff guy who is a 2 down player is a good use of a 1st round pick. I say that hoping like hell that our 1st round pick is DT - I think we need a Nose and a Barmore clone and then we would finally turn the corner assuming our young LBs work out (Perkins, McGrone, McMillan - I am not an Uche fan because he looks lost to me, same as Jennings).

Perrion Winfrey looks like a Barmore clone, not a NT. He was a NT in college but looks more like a NFL DE 5T to me.

@BaconGrundleCandy Who in this class is the closest to a Vita Vea clone? I think Winfrey looks great and hope we get him, but am not really sold on Jordan Davis.

I agree with @Ochmed Jones that Jones is not convincing. Looks good, but young and inexperienced. Winfrey looks much better to me.
Winfrey and Jones wouldn’t have the same responsibilities here. Winfrey is a 3/4i T here imo and Jones would clearly be a Nose Tackle at 0/1/3 T which he can play and command a double team to move in the run game. You don’t need a double team for Winfrey and he wouldn’t solve our issues imo. Jones could solve our run defense at least in the d line I believe. He actually played more snaps in college than Jordan Davis, fewer games but played more often. Davis may have conditioning problems but Georgia also having nice depth while Uconn has not.
If we are looking for a DT in the draft I would go Jones or Davis the rest doesn’t solve our issues imo

Winfrey and Jones wouldn’t have the same responsibilities here. Winfrey is a 3/4i T here imo and Jones would clearly be a Nose Tackle at 0/1/3 T which he can play and command a double team to move in the run game. You don’t need a double team for Winfrey and he wouldn’t solve our issues imo. Jones could solve our run defense at least in the d line I believe. He actually played more snaps in college than Jordan Davis, fewer games but played more often. Davis may have conditioning problems but Georgia also having nice depth while Uconn has not.
If we are looking for a DT in the draft I would go Jones or Davis the rest doesn’t solve our issues imo

I think Davis played less than 50 percent of the defensive snaps at Georgia for two reasons:

1.) Georgia was crazy deep in defensive linemen. Their best defensive tackle is still in school
next year.
2.) Davis is a terrible pass rusher. No plan, no moves, no quickness and no stamina!

If the chargers and Vikings pass on Davis, he is falling to 21.

I think Davis played less than 50 percent of the defensive snaps at Georgia for two reasons:

1.) Georgia was crazy deep in defensive linemen. Their best defensive tackle is still in school
next year.
2.) Davis is a terrible pass rusher. No plan, no moves, no quickness and no stamina!

If the chargers and Vikings pass on Davis, he is falling to 21.
You can also add conditioning. Alabama went hurry up in the first meeting, and Davis had to come out. This was on the first drive. Weight is a big issue for him and a constant battle.
There has to be a buyer beware thought process before drafting him. IMO he is a 2 down player. Normally you would not expend first round capital on a 2 down player, but he is elite at what he does on those 2 early downs, and it would be nice to not have to worry about teams running on us and have our LBs freed up to make plays.

I agree. Winfrey looks like a Barmore clone to me - big and fast, great as a 3/4 DE. I would love to play the 3/4 more to allow the Judon/Perkins/ hopefully Uche to move around, chase the QB, etc. But even with a Barmore clone, we need a NT who can 2 Gap. I know you like Travis Jones at Nose Tackle but I do not see a dominant inside guy when I look at Jones' YouTube stuff (I do not have All-22). As I wrote previously, I think of Vita Vea or Vince Wilfork as the prototypical NT, and I do not see Jones as even approaching those guys.

This website agrees with you and thinks Jones fills the need so maybe I do not know what I am looking at. But they have Jones rated a #7 DL project behind Jordan Davis, Logan Hall, Devonte Wyatt, Phidarian Mathis, Travon Walker, and Demarvin Leal, but Davis and Mathis are the only real DT in that list and I think Jones looks like a better NT/ 0 T prospect than Mathis.

I agree. Winfrey looks like a Barmore clone to me - big and fast, great as a 3/4 DE. I would love to play the 3/4 more to allow the Judon/Perkins/ hopefully Uche to move around, chase the QB, etc. But even with a Barmore clone, we need a NT who can 2 Gap. I know you like Travis Jones at Nose Tackle but I do not see a dominant inside guy when I look at Jones' YouTube stuff (I do not have All-22). As I wrote previously, I think of Vita Vea or Vince Wilfork as the prototypical NT, and I do not see Jones as even approaching those guys.
Yeah, I mean getting a guy like Wilfork or Vea is really tough to find and develop they are extremely rare , esp like vea he offers so much in every area , if you watch him on passing downs working on stunts get off the snap he offers a movement you don’t see often from a man his size
The thing is I don’t expect Davis or Jones to reach a level like this as long as they are legit 2 gap NT who can beat double teams ,
I just don’t like the idea of drafting Davis so high in the first round If he projects for a two down role with conditioning problems.
If you look at past NT like shelton or lawrence who plays DE but has a NT size I bet giants and browns would want those picks back.
This website agrees with you and thinks Jones fills the need so maybe I do not know what I am looking at.
I do have it but neither do I know what I am looking at
Don’t want to say that Jones is flawless, I think he has the potential and skill set to be that guy here. He is not the quickest with his first step or the lowest men at every snap but you can’t teach his size body strength lateral movement he provides. I think it is worth the shot and I mean we are talking for like the last 2-3 drafts now about the NT position and I can’t wait to fix that
The issue exists long enough too long for my taste
But they have Jones rated a #7 DL project behind Jordan Davis, Logan Hall, Devonte Wyatt, Phidarian Mathis, Travon Walker, and Demarvin Leal, but Davis and Mathis are the only real DT in that list and I think Jones looks like a better NT/ 0 T prospect than Mathis.

Yeah mathis and Wyatt look like heavy 3 T or nt in other systems. I believe they played quit some snaps at 0/1 T in college but they are around 315-320 which is around God and Davis. I like Wyatt tough he is good. Hall leal and Walker are 5 T imo with flexibility on passing downs but DE early down

I just don’t like the idea of drafting Davis so high in the first round If he projects for a two down role with conditioning problems.
If you look at past NT like shelton or lawrence who plays DE but has a NT size I bet giants and browns would want those picks back.
Yes it is almost impossible to find a Wilfork or Vea. I am not impressed enough with Davis for the high pick - I agree. BGC had Winfrey rated very high and looking at Winfrey I understand BGC's rating. For a 3/4 DE, I think Winfrey looks great. Just like when I watched Stevenson for the first time, he looks so natural and gifted which I think translates to the NFL.
Don’t want to say that Jones is flawless, I think he has the potential and skill set to be that guy here. He is not the quickest with his first step or the lowest men at every snap but you can’t teach his size body strength lateral movement he provides. I think it is worth the shot and I mean we are talking for like the last 2-3 drafts now about the NT position and I can’t wait to fix that. The issue exists long enough too long for my taste.
I am as frustrated as you. The Danny Shelton and Carl Davis experiments did not work out well. Need a 2-gapper and I agree that Jones is probably as good as anyone if we are late 2nd or 3rd. After Davis who else is there? And Davis has the same last name as Carl Davis, so I do not like that ;)
Yeah mathis and Wyatt look like heavy 3 T or nt in other systems. I believe they played quit some snaps at 0/1 T in college but they are around 315-320 which is around God and Davis. I like Wyatt tough he is good. Hall leal and Walker are 5 T imo with flexibility on passing downs but DE early down
I looked at Wyatt and must have missed him earlier. I agree Wyatt looks very natural, maybe even stronger than Winfrey. Wyatt looks strong and natural. At this point I have to leave the final "value" determination (talent combined with draft position) to the experts like you.

Yes it is almost impossible to find a Wilfork or Vea. I am not impressed enough with Davis for the high pick - I agree. BGC had Winfrey rated very high and looking at Winfrey I understand BGC's rating. For a 3/4 DE, I think Winfrey looks great. Just like when I watched Stevenson for the first time, he looks so natural and gifted which I think translates to the NFL.

I am as frustrated as you. The Danny Shelton and Carl Davis experiments did not work out well. Need a 2-gapper and I agree that Jones is probably as good as anyone if we are late 2nd or 3rd. After Davis who else is there? And Davis has the same last name as Carl Davis, so I do not like that ;)
Haha yeah, The name davis in the line up at NT must disappear:D
There could be some big linemen later available Farrell from LSU example and could take a shot
Titans grabbed Jones late in the draft from Michigan state i believe who played against us
I looked at Wyatt and must have missed him earlier. I agree Wyatt looks very natural, maybe even stronger than Winfrey. Wyatt looks strong and natural.
He would be a great 3 T here imo i agree
At this point I have to leave the final "value" determination (talent combined with draft position) to the experts like you.
Haha you are being to kind brother but I have no clue, I leave it to others as well and just hope BB picks my binkies and enjoy a great interesting draft weekend

Mathis of alabama played on the nose last season and while he struggled a bit with double teams, I thought he played fairly well against the run.

he could be a mid round guy that could interest bb.

Haha yeah, The name davis in the line up at NT must disappear:D
There could be some big linemen later available Farrell from LSU example and could take a shot
Titans grabbed Jones late in the draft from Michigan state i believe who played against us

He would be a great 3 T here imo i agree

Haha you are being to kind brother but I have no clue, I leave it to others as well and just hope BB picks my binkies and enjoy a great interesting draft weekend

@captain stone suggested John Ridgeway from Arkansas. Flowers and Wise were both from Arkansas as well. Ridgeway is tossing guys around in his YouTube highlights. 320 lbs so not really big, but not a lot of fat - really strong guy. I am excited to see there is another guy. Wyatt from Georgia, Ridgeway, Jones from CT, and Winfrey from Oklahoma seem to be my favorites. Ridgeway or Jones at DT, and Wyatt or Winfrey at DE. Putting two of those guys with Barmore would hopefully solve a big problem for years to come. We have adequate rotational guys in Wise, Godchaux, etc.

I am not that impressed with Davis from GA, big strong guy, but not that mobile. Ridgeway and Jones run around.

Then we need to solve the CB position. Hopefully we are able to trade down and pick up an extra day two pick so we can get two DL and a CB. Not sure how we get a #1 WR, I guess we have to sign a FA on the DL? Tough to depend on late Day 2 guys or Day 3 guys in their rookie years.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back