PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2021 WR/PTP Thread

Been out of the game here for a while but this year's offseason is so interesting it drew me back in. Those top 4 all are very intriguing but the WR is so deep this year wouldn't you want to trade back and take an extra 3rd and Toney over any of these options singularly?

do we need another slot receiver? Doesn’t Meyers do most of his damage from the slot? Wouldn’t gunner work really well in the slot?

Marshall of lsu is worth trading back for.

Stevenson of Houston has speed and decent hands, he might work in the second or third round,

A nice 7th round flyer as a slot WR with good hands, decent speed, and I think likely a good 3-cone is Whop Philyor from Indiana.

This draft is so deep in wide receivers that you can find one in any round of this draft.

we just need bb to take one. Hopefully after better scouting than what he did with Harry!

I watched some tape of Sage Surrat. He would be a classic Patriots pick; big and slow and cannot get open....but probably does great interviews. I will toss my shoe through the TV if the Patriots draft this guy anywhere before the 6th round.

Here are my reviews based on 2-3 minutes of highlights, ha. The Patriots should hire me!

Jaylen Waddle - Alabama - 5'10/180
Elite straight-line speed. Wow. He has the unique speed, like Jerry Rice, to accelerate on the fly. Afterburners. Cannot tell if he gets in and out of his cuts fast but appears to .

Rashod Bateman - Minnesota - 6'2/210
Incredibly sticky hands like spiderman. Excellent straight-line speed, but does he have shifty moves? Hard to tell. Sort of doubt it.

DeVonta Smith - Alabama - 6'1/175
Wow. He is the best of the group, wow. Lightning in a bottle. Cannot be covered. This is The Guy in the draft.

Ja’Marr Chase - LSU - 6'1/200
OK speed not elite and not elite elusiveness. Pushes off. Blah.

Rondale Moore - Purdue - 5'9/180
Great strength. Good speed but not elite and I am not convinced that he can get open consistently. Good 3-round pick for the Patriots.

Sage Surratt - Wake Forest - 6'3/215
Big and slow and cannot get open and pushes off, but good hands and good interviews. Classic Patriots overdrafted pick.

Here are my reviews based on 2-3 minutes of highlights, ha. The Patriots should hire me!

Jaylen Waddle - Alabama - 5'10/180
Elite straight-line speed. Wow. He has the unique speed, like Jerry Rice, to accelerate on the fly. Afterburners. Cannot tell if he gets in and out of his cuts fast but appears to .

Rashod Bateman - Minnesota - 6'2/210
Incredibly sticky hands like spiderman. Excellent straight-line speed, but does he have shifty moves? Hard to tell. Sort of doubt it.

DeVonta Smith - Alabama - 6'1/175
Wow. He is the best of the group, wow. Lightning in a bottle. Cannot be covered. This is The Guy in the draft.

Rondale Moore - Purdue - 5'9/180
Great strength. Good speed but not elite and I am not convinced that he can get open consistently. Good 3-round pick for the Patriots.

Sage Surratt - Wake Forest - 6'3/215
Big and slow and cannot get open and pushes off, but good hands and good interviews. Classic Patriots overdrafted pick.

watch some tape of Moore from ole miss. He is dynamite and he did it in the sec.

If we drafted more of Purdue, who is a playmaker and Moore from ole miss, we would have two dynamic receivers that would make our offense instantly better,

I fail to see how anyone could watch Chase's tape and come up with 'blah'.

I agree with you on Surrat though, but I wouldn't mind if we took his brother.

OK, I will watch more of Ja'Marr Chase. Maybe I missed something. 2-3 minutes of highlights does not make for a solid evaluation, ha!

One thing I watch out for is spectacular catches by a WR with a DB draped all over him; If you see a lot of those (i.e. Harry and Surrat), I get suspicious that they cannot get open.

Moore is pretty good and would look nice in Patriots uniform, but Jaylen or DeVonta, wow. BTW, I wonder if those WRs are making Mac Jones look better than he is? How wold Mac do under pressure with a WR who cannot get open (i.e. how would he look as a Patriot)?

I love the smurfs also, like Jaelon Darden or Kadarius Toney. Seem almost impossible to cover.

As I keep telling my buddy Bill Belichick, you are overthinking the WR position. Draft guys who can get open! Forget the other stuff (except hands of course). Forget the boy scout manners and good interviews; the best WR are going to be jerks and primadonnas. Get over it. Bill, you can call me tonight as usual to discuss it.

As I keep telling my buddy Bill Belichick, you are overthinking the WR position. Draft guys who can get open! Forget the other stuff (except hands of course). Forget the boy scout manners and good interviews; the best WR are going to be jerks and primadonnas. Get over it. Bill, you can call me tonight as usual to discuss it.

Amen brother!

how can bb, who is the best at breaking down tape that ever lived, watch tape of Harry and think that guy can be successful in the nfl?

bb, trying to zig while the world zags, got us into this mess. He can get us out of this mess by gambling less on potential and spending more picks on guys that can.

when it comes to wr and defensive back drafting, bb needs to get back to basics and quit trying to outsmart the world.

when it comes to wr and defensive back drafting, bb needs to get back to basics and quit trying to outsmart the world.

just think of how much better we could be if he had not blown 5 second round picks on useless defensive backs that have contributed jack!

OK, I watched more of Ja'Marr Chase. Yeah he is the real deal. Excellent speed, and it looks like he can get good separation (his QB underthrew a lot of the deep balls so he had to make great catches). He does not have scary speed like Waddle, but pretty close. And he is slippery as an eel after the catch; he would we be a terror on those Patriots WR screens.

Tutu Atwell is so electrifying slot WR. A bit undersized but what makes him special is his speed especially after a catch and ability in creating space. IMO worth a look.

Chase looks like a beast!

But here's the PROBLEM. He's fast, athletic, and creates separation. If you've been paying attention to our drafts, BB doesn't go for fast, explosive WRs who create separation. He wants either amazing 3 cone time short quick slot receivers OR he wants big plodding WRs who can't create ANY separation! See Harry, N'Keal. So there's a ZERO percent chance the Pats draft this guy if he even makes it to 15, which he probably won't.

Chase looks like a beast!

But here's the PROBLEM. He's fast, athletic, and creates separation. If you've been paying attention to our drafts, BB doesn't go for fast, explosive WRs who create separation. He wants either amazing 3 cone time short quick slot receivers OR he wants big plodding WRs who can't create ANY separation! See Harry, N'Keal. So there's a ZERO percent chance the Pats draft this guy if he even makes it to 15, which he probably won't.

if this guy was in last year’s draft, he probably still is the first wide receiver taken. He is a blue chip player!

if this guy was in last year’s draft, he probably still is the first wide receiver taken. He is a blue chip player!
I don't disagree with you. I just have ZERO TRUST in the Patriots brain trust to select blue chip Wide Receivers when they fall into our lap. See the Curious Case of DK Metcalf (2203 receiving yards and 17 TDs in first two seasons) and the Inexplicable Pass on AJ Brown (2126 receiving yards and 19 TDs in first two seasons) vs BB's Binky N'Keal Harry (414 yards and 4 TDs in 2 seasons). Each of those receivers produced 500% more yards than Harry. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm!

I don't disagree with you. I just have ZERO TRUST in the Patriots brain trust to select blue chip Wide Receivers when they fall into our lap. See the Curious Case of DK Metcalf (2203 receiving yards and 17 TDs in first two seasons) and the Inexplicable Pass on AJ Brown (2126 receiving yards and 19 TDs in first two seasons) vs BB's Binky N'Keal Harry (414 yards and 4 TDs in 2 seasons). Each of those receivers produced 500% more yards than Harry. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm!

true, not sure how a master of film review like bb could sit there and watch tape of Harry and think, this guy should be able to get open in the nfl. Maybe he was drinking heavily that day.

Tutu Atwell
I watched some tape of Tutu, and I have never seen such acceleration before. He speed is off the charts! He can turn on the burners while moving as well or better than Waddle an that is saying a lot. I cannot tell if he has good moves since all he had to do was turn on the speed and walk away from DBs. The problem is that he has a tiny, fragile body. Can he hold up in the NFL? Maybe. He would sure be exciting while he lasts.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back