PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2020 WR'S/PTP Thread

Not much love for Tee Higgins or Chase Claypool here...
Claypool looked the part at the combine but I have not seen him play so I'm a little nervous he might be fools gold.

Claypool looked the part at the combine but I have not seen him play so I'm a little nervous he might be fools gold.
I’ve seen him play, He’s the real deal. Looks like a TE, ran a 4.42 and has an excellent vertical. Tough mismatch for any DB. Good blocker too. Plays hard. Not a prima donna

I like both receivers, A LOT. Higgins is sneaky fast. People see his height, but he can run. Claypool will be scary good, because he is a 4 down player too, special teams as a gunner. My favorite is Mims. But I love both of these guys. It’s gonna be interesting to see Higgins results from his pro day.

Justin or Van?
Was talking about Justin. Love him as a complement slot target. Was hoping he'd be bigger but he's fine where he's at. So slippery and smooth. I think he'd work well alongside a physical, big body X.

Been a fan of Van, seems like forever now.

Was talking about Justin. Love him as a complement slot target. Was hoping he'd be bigger but he's fine where he's at. So slippery and smooth. I think he'd work well alongside a physical, big body X.

Been a fan of Van, seems like forever now.

If you watch film of Jefferson from 2018, when he lined up on the outside, you see a guy who absolutely can not get off press coverage.

In 2019, when he lined up in the slot, and teams doubled and tripled chase, then he had success.

Wr carpool from Notre Dame had a very nice season and his 2019 tape is really good. He could be a guy we might be able to develop!

I really like him a lot. But where do you see him playing? I like the idea of him playing at tight end because at that size and speed he’s going to be a hard cover. But at the same time it’s a new position for him. I’m a big fan though.

I would be shocked if we wound up with Mims or Claypool. Don’t see Belichick doing that, though it would be a brilliant move to get one of them.

If the WR's in next years draft are not so good then does that mean we should take best avail this year for the future ?....mims would be my preference , but can see us choose OL/DL first

If the WR's in next years draft are not so good then does that mean we should take best avail this year for the future ?....mims would be my preference , but can see us choose OL/DL first
Next year's will be just as good if not better.

Does anybody else think that KJ Hamler could be a great fit for the Patriots? First of all he has blazing speed, second of all he is a 5'9 smurf which fits into the Pats mould, and third of all he is a special team Ace returner and the Pats have lacked an explosive kick returner since the losing Cordarelle Patterson.

Does anybody else think that KJ Hamler could be a great fit for the Patriots? First of all he has blazing speed, second of all he is a 5'9 smurf which fits into the Pats mould, and third of all he is a special team Ace returner and the Pats have lacked an explosive kick returner since the losing Cordarelle Patterson.

I wouldn't take him at 23, but he'll be long gone by 87...I'm hoping that a similar player such as Van Jefferson, Lynn Bowden, Antonio Gibson, Joe Reed or Jimmy Proche (in that order) is still on the board by then...

I love his speed but I’m a little worried about his size when it comes to defenses getting physical with him. We know he can fly down the field but if teams press him I’m not sure if he’ll be able to get free to even do anything. Kind of like Phillip Dorsett was for us, very fast player but never was able to beat press coverage.

I would be shocked if we wound up with Mims or Claypool. Don’t see Belichick doing that, though it would be a brilliant move to get one of them.
Love what either of these receivers would bring to the passing and running game.

Next year's will be just as good if not better.
Definitely true. One name to watch is Rashod Bateman from Minnesota. He's pretty sick.
Ja'marr Chase is pretty good too (lol).

I wouldn't take him at 23, but he'll be long gone by 87...I'm hoping that a similar player such as Van Jefferson, Lynn Bowden, Antonio Gibson, Joe Reed or Jimmy Proche (in that order) is still on the board by then...
I love Antonio Gibson. 6’0 2208, fast (ran a 4.39) 35 inch vertical. Can play RB OR WR. Return ability. Just a great weapon. James Proche has GREAT hands, question is, his speed. Didn’t run at the combine OR Pro Day.

KJ Hamler is surprisingly strong despite being only 175 pounds. Sometimes bounces off of tackles and keeps going. Bowden, another great weapon. This draft is so deep, I’d be extremely disappointed if Belichick doesn’t walk away with at least one of them. PLUS 2 pass catching TEs. This offense needs playmakers. Some of these guys can take a 10 yard slant and go all the way.

Definitely true. One name to watch is Rashod Bateman from Minnesota. He's pretty sick.
Ja'marr Chase is pretty good too (lol).
Yeah Bateman and Chase are two of the top 3-5. I've seen a lot of Bateman from watching Tyler and he looks legit.

If he puts up another solid season he'll have a great profile. Broke out early, production, size.

Next year's class is loaded.

Not a fan of Claypool as a true wideout. He does not play up to his timed speed on the field. He needs a clear running lane to build up that speed. While he can be a vertical threat if he can get off the line and build up that speed, hes going to have get off the line to do that. He moves like an athletic tight end not a receiver when he has to actually run a route and change direction. That's fine as a tight end, but were talking about him as a WR.

We already have 1 big, athletic WR that doesnt create a ton of separation. But Harry is more fluid than Claypool. If you can move him around and use him like an Aaron Hernandez, you can create mismatches to hide his flaws. Thats more of a move TE to me. But I dont think you're just lining him up out wide against a corner and expecting him to produce at a high level consistently.

I'd rather have Pittman Jr if talking about a bigger, physical receiver in the 3rd. More fluid, more polished, but still brings that height, physicality, and ability to aid the run game.

Not a fan of Claypool as a true wideout. He does not play up to his timed speed on the field. He needs a clear running lane to build up that speed. While he can be a vertical threat if he can get off the line and build up that speed, hes going to have get off the line to do that. He moves like an athletic tight end not a receiver when he has to actually run a route and change direction. That's fine as a tight end, but were talking about him as a WR.

We already have 1 big, athletic WR that doesnt create a ton of separation. But Harry is more fluid than Claypool. If you can move him around and use him like an Aaron Hernandez, you can create mismatches to hide his flaws. Thats more of a move TE to me. But I dont think you're just lining him up out wide against a corner and expecting him to produce at a high level consistently.

I'd rather have Pittman Jr if talking about a bigger, physical receiver in the 3rd. More fluid, more polished, but still brings that height, physicality, and ability to aid the run game.
I've been saying as much for a while. If CC is there in the 3rd I'd really think about but we have someone more athletic in Harry.

Get a Edwards, Pittman, maybe AGG?

We absolutely need speed though. Have to get a speedster across from Harry.

Hopefully Ruggs or Reagor are available 23 if we go WR.

Maybe Aiyuk, Proche, Jefferson, Duvernay etc later.

Scoop up Kmet/Trautman if you can but don't over pay.

Harry, Reagor/Ruggs, Pittman/Edwards
and
Jefferson/Proche/Aiyuk/Duvernay

Would give everyone hope. If our OL is healthy that's a decent bunch to give Stidham.

...I'd rather have Pittman Jr if talking about a bigger, physical receiver in the 3rd. More fluid, more polished, but still brings that height, physicality, and ability to aid the run game.
Yeah if Pittman's still on the board at 87 then I'm running to the podium with his name (with very few exceptions) on it...He's a big Steady Eddie with great hands and good-enough agility who actually knows how to play the position...unlike another recently-drafted WR I can think of...

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back