PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2020 QB/PTP Thread

BB loves those big boys and somehow the run D gets gashed anyways

If run defense was only gauged by the size of the defensive linemen :D

Some run concepts will destroy the 2 gap front.

If run defense was only gauged by the size of the defensive linemen :D

Some run concepts will destroy the 2 gap front.

In theory there should be a linebacker to fill each run lane.

davis is an excellent 2 gapper. I am so looking forward to him and brederson of Michigan going up against each other.

In theory there should be a linebacker to fill each run lane.

davis is an excellent 2 gapper. I am so looking forward to him and brederson of Michigan going up against each other.
No doubt. I'm a big fan of his as well. Just saying that size =/= run stopping ability of the defense. Sometimes you stop the run with speed.

Will use this thread for all QB talk, breakdowns & possible next Patriot franchise QB. Just like the WR's, I used w/e tape I could find, games on DVR, reputation & some projection to create the tiers.

QB 2020

Tier 1
Tua Tagovailoa 6'/230 - Alabama

Tier 2
Jordan Love 6'4/225 - Utah St

Justin Herbert 6'6/230 - Oregon

Desmond Ridder 6'4/215 - Cinci

Jake Fromm 6'2/220 - Georgia

Ian Book 6'/205 - Notre Dame

D’Eriq King 5'11/195 - Houston

Bryce Perkins 6'3/210 - Virginia

Cole McDonald 6'4/205 - Hawaii

Sam Ehlinger 6'3/235 - Texas

Joe Burrow 6'4/215 - LSU

Brian Lewerke 6'3/215 - Michigan St

McKenzie Milton 5'11/185 - UCF

Tier 3
Khalil Tate 6'2/215 - Arizona

Jacob Eason 6'6/230 - Washington

Jarrett Guarantano 6'4/210 - Tennessee

Steven Montez 6'5/230 - Colorado

Armani Rogers 6'5/225 - UNLV

Jarret Doege 6'3/205 - Bowling Green

Mike Glass III 6'/215 - Eastern Michigan

Riley Neal 6'6/225 - Vanderbilt

Deondre Francois 6'1/215 - FAU

Nate Stanley 6'4/240 - Iowa

Mason Fine 5'11/185 - North Texas

KJ Costello 6'5/215 - Stanford

Kellen Mond 6'2/210 - Texas A&M

Jalen Hurts 6'1/220 - OK

Charlie Brewer 6'1/200 - Baylor

Peyton Ramsey 6'2/210 - Indiana

Josh Jackson 6'1/215 - Maryland

Jake Bentley 6'4/225 - South Carolina

Shea Patterson 6'2/200 - Michigan

Feleipe Franks 6'5/235 - Florida

Blake Barnett 6'5/215 - USF

Caleb Evans 6'2/210 - UL-Monroe

Tyler Huntley 6'1/205 - Utah

Brady White 6'3/205 - Memphis

Alex Thomson 6'5/230 - Marshall

James Morgan 6'4/210 - FIU

Jon Wassink 6'2/200 - Western Michigan

Alex Hornibrook 6'3/220 - FSU

Tier 4
Jake Luton 6'7/230 - Oregon St

Ryan Willis 6'4/220 - VA Tech

Jack Abraham 6'/205 - Southern Miss

Anthony Russo 6'4/230 - Temple

Zac Thomas 6'1/200 - App St

Elijah Sindelar 6'4/225 - Purdue

Zeb Noland 6'2/220 - North Dakota St

Kenny Pickett 6'2/220 - Pitt

Anthony Brown 6'2/220 - Boston College

Tommy Stevens 6'5/240 - Miss St

Check out Jamie Newman:

Also, why put Jacob Eason so low? He has the best arm and among the best accuracy in the entire class, with good mechanics and pro style experience to boot.

Check out Jamie Newman:

Also, why put Jacob Eason so low? He has the best arm and among the best accuracy in the entire class, with good mechanics and pro style experience to boot.

I think if you watch tape of Nelson against Clemson this year, you will see why he needs to go back to school next year.

I think if you watch tape of Nelson against Clemson this year, you will see why he needs to go back to school next year.

I get that his numbers were horrific, but when I watched the most freely available plays from that game that I could find, I saw his WRs and OL completely outmatched. He'd make a back shoulder throw, and the CB would basically Moss his poor little WR. You could say that he shouldn't have made this throw. Fine, so what should he have done? If he can't trust his WRs in a one on one matchup, then he's reduced to midrange throws to gaps in zone over the middle, which Clemson wasn't playing I'd assume. So, he basically can't play within his offense and win that game. This all goes without mentioning Clemon's DL talent superiority.

I don't think it's always fair to point to a player's toughest opposition in college and say "that is proof they are/aren't ready for the NFL" because the talent disparity is too great. To take Newman's case again, I want a QB that is willing to take 1 on 1 chances with his top WR. If it's an INT, that's the WR's fault. We'll get him a better WR. (If he does it over an over again, maybe that's the QBs fault, but that's a different situation).

A different situation is Jordan Love. I saw him terrified for his life during the LSU game. Terrible mechanics, terrible decision making, lack of pocket presence and mechanics in the pocket. Adversity just broke him. In Newman's case, I just saw a guy on a team that was destined to lose to a far superior opponent.

I get that his numbers were horrific, but when I watched the most freely available plays from that game that I could find, I saw his WRs and OL completely outmatched. He'd make a back shoulder throw, and the CB would basically Moss his poor little WR. You could say that he shouldn't have made this throw. Fine, so what should he have done? If he can't trust his WRs in a one on one matchup, then he's reduced to midrange throws to gaps in zone over the middle, which Clemson wasn't playing I'd assume. So, he basically can't play within his offense and win that game. This all goes without mentioning Clemon's DL talent superiority.

I don't think it's always fair to point to a player's toughest opposition in college and say "that is proof they are/aren't ready for the NFL" because the talent disparity is too great. To take Newman's case again, I want a QB that is willing to take 1 on 1 chances with his top WR. If it's an INT, that's the WR's fault. We'll get him a better WR. (If he does it over an over again, maybe that's the QBs fault, but that's a different situation).

A different situation is Jordan Love. I saw him terrified for his life during the LSU game. Terrible mechanics, terrible decision making, lack of pocket presence and mechanics in the pocket. Adversity just broke him. In Newman's case, I just saw a guy on a team that was destined to lose to a far superior opponent.

Are you thinking the competition level in the nfl is less? the nfl is the best of the best.
He is not nearly ready to compete at that level.

Are you thinking the competition level in the nfl is less? the nfl is the best of the best.
He is not nearly ready to compete at that level.

The competition level in the NFL is more balanced. You won't have to compensate for garbage WRs playing against future 1st round pick CBs. Yes, your opponents will have talent, but you will have talent too. So, my argument is that the most realistic scenario to evaluate a mid-major QB in is when they play other mid-major schools.

He very well could use another year, with this being only his second year as a starter. That being said, the talent is there, and I'd still want to draft him if he left this year.

Tua staying is huge and I think the right thing for him to do.

hopefully he has a healthy season and faces Clemson again in the finals!

Tua is in

Tua staying is huge and I think the right thing for him to do.

hopefully he has a healthy season and faces Clemson again in the finals!
That did not age well.

very true. Hopefully he handles hits from men better than he did against college kids.

Hopefully he goes to a franchise that puts his long-term health over winning individual games.

CBS mock has us taking Eason in the first round.

big arm, but he does not make the best decisions and is not the most accurate.

I like Eason, but LOVE Fromm

Curious where they both go

I like Eason, but LOVE Fromm

Curious where they both go

fromm is interesting in that he does not throw to receivers running certain routes and his arm is pop gun.

but he makes good decisions and is accurate.

I saw Eason carry Washington this year, particularly later in the year. Also, very very accurate. He may not be Peyton Manning when it comes to decision making, but he's not bad.

After reading about Fromm completing less than 50% of his passes in his final five games as a Bulldog, I understood why a Georgia alum like Jermaine Wiggins didn't like Fromm.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back