PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2020 QB/PTP Thread

A cbs mock draft had us taking him at the end of the first round.

that just screams classic bb.
I thought for sure BB wouldnt pass on Jackson at the end of the first but he did. I don't expect he would take Tua

I think the big 3 are clearly: Burrow, Eason, and Fromm, probably in that order. I think Eason has the best arm and Fromm has the best mechanics and smarts. I get that Burrow is the most productive, which means something, but he's really 3rd on my board if I'm evaluating long-term potential.

Herbert doesn't compare to these guys in terms of performance, particularly in big games. He's too much of a spread QB and not enough of a real passer.

Hurts, Newman, Mond, Montez, Love, Tate, Patterson: passers that use their arms instead of their hips to throw, their legs instead of their minds to find open passing lanes. They are each too much of a project to become a good pocket passer, and I don't want to convert to an offense where pocket passing isn't a centerpiece of it. (I like spread formations and the occasional spread rushing or screen concept, but I don't like dumbing down the passing game).

My top sleepers are Mason Fine, James Morgan, and KJ Costello.

Fine: Maybe he's not quite Russell Wilson, but they do have pretty similar games. He's a good passer and scrambler.

James Morgan: Nice arm, good size, good mechanics. Smaller school and just above average performance, so there are certainly questions to be answered there.

Costello: Worth a look, but you have to really wonder about injuries.

Last edited:
Would be ecstatic if NE took Fromm or Eason if possible

Eason and Fromm should definitely stay in school.

Herbert is terrible if his first read is covered, but someone will overdraft him.

Burrows is a one hit wonder.

and then there is tua. So many teams are scared of him right now that he could drop to us at 32.

Herbert is terrible if his first read is covered, but someone will overdraft him.

and then there is tua. So many teams are scared of him right now that he could drop to us at 32.
Burrows I feel like has a bright future...reminds me a bit of Daniel Jones/Wentz

Some bad things that happen during one’s formative years can take a lifetime recover from. I’m not sure I can handle the Pats taking a QB named Eason.... After 10 years I still have a bad first instinct when I hear Chung’s name called on the field, and he turned out to be a stud!

Some bad things that happen during one’s formative years can take a lifetime recover from. I’m not sure I can handle the Pats taking a QB named Eason.... After 10 years I still have a bad first instinct when I hear Chung’s name called on the field, and he turned out to be a stud!
Proudly always liked Chung...he stood out on one of the scrappiest Ds I can remember here (Guyton, Spikes, Arrington, etc.)...fun times

And NE might be just as scared.

And NE might be just as scared.
The only way he falls to #32 is if something goes terribly wrong...in which case we shouldn't touch

Perhaps ignorantly, the whole lefty thing is a turn off to me as it is

The only way he falls to #32 is if something goes terribly wrong...in which case we shouldn't touch

Perhaps ignorantly, the whole lefty thing is a turn off to me as it is

I think being lefty is a benefit more than anything. You get to really **** with the strengths of the defenses. Weakside ends aren't used to QBs being able to see them as they rush. This is especially useful if you're mobile like Tua is/was.

I agree with all of this.

That being said, I think Eason and Fromm could very well come out, and if they do, they're still very good prospects that I like a lot (even if they could use another year of college).

Glad someone else agrees with me about Burrow. I definitely think he's a good player, but I'm not going to crown him.

I think being lefty is a benefit more than anything. You get to really **** with the strengths of the defenses. Weakside ends aren't used to QBs being able to see them as they rush. This is especially useful if you're mobile like Tua is/was.
To the contrary, building an O around a southpaw is harder than righty just throwing from the opposite side...unnantrual to WRs and all on O

To the contrary, building an O around a southpaw is harder than righty just throwing from the opposite side...unnantrual to WRs and all on O
Is it though?

What are we talking about? Spirals? I would think there's more variation between QBs of the same throwing arm than just the difference between a righty and lefty.

Is it though?

What are we talking about? Spirals? I would think there's more variation between QBs of the same throwing arm than just the difference between a righty and lefty.
Good article with some notable quotes I found:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/08/13/why-arent-there-any-left-handed-quarterbacks-nfl/
"But while lefty arms are rewarded in baseball, football treats them like a burden. The tail that once gave Leinart’s fastball nasty bite made his passes more difficult to catch, because left-handed throws look and spin differently out of the hand. (Kicks, too: For years, one of football’s most well-respected tacticians, New England Patriots Coach Bill Belichick, has employed a left-footed punter to trouble unfamiliar opponents.)"

"Brian Xanders, a senior personnel executive with the Los Angeles Rams, became a left-handed quarterback expert with the Atlanta Falcons during Vick’s tenure and later drafted southpaw Tim Tebow as the Denver Broncos’ general manager.
In both situations, Xanders understood the implications: Teams must prioritize right tackles because they, rather than the left tackle, protect a lefty’s “blind side.” Coaches must alter formations and flip plays, because lefties drop back and run play-action fakes differently."

“If [two quarterbacks] are totally equal in everything, [teams will sign] the right-hander,” Xanders said. “Everyone is more used to it.

Not this this is a deal breaker on Tua at all, I'm a fan and his "intangibles" are through the roof, just notable

Another good article:
Why Doesn't the NFL Have Any Left-Handed Quarterbacks Anymore?

"The reason none of the NFL’s 90 or so quarterbacks are lefties is mainly that offensive lines are built to protect a righty and coaches have to shift players and adjust plays in order to accommodate a lefty. Receivers are also used to catching balls thrown from right-handers and find it more difficult to snag left-handed throws."

You'll never see a team roster a lefty backup if the starter is a righty...Lefty QBs have to be exceptional to be successful and Tua may very well be

Enough ****-posting

Been hearing this for a minute now. Love would be a great pick if he was available next spring.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back