PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2018 NFL DRAFT/PATRIOT-TYPE THREAD

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

2017 Rankings

QUARTERBACKS TIER 1

1) SAM DARNOLD

Background
Recruited from San Clemente High School as a linebacker first. Also played some wide receiver, basketball and baseball.
Comes from a family of athletes that goes back generation.
Coaches praise him for his hard work and apparently a bit of a perfectionist.
Always wanted to go to USC and didnt consider other options.

Strengths
Listed at 6'4/225 and looks right about there, give or take. Plenty of room to transform and add muscle. (Looking at pictures of hands still)

++Arm talent. Explosive arm, ball shoots out of his hand when set. Ability to make every throw. Very nice touch in almost all passes. Can almost bend the ball. Can zip into tight coverage, double coverage.
Can throw his guys open, will adjust his speed to hit his target.

++Great poise, situational and pocket awareness. Always active and remains calm. Does a great a job of keeping a play alive by moving and manipulating the pocket with his feet. Will/Can scramble, he'll get himself set and throws in motion when he does or take off for 5-10 yards for a 1st. Great in the red zone and 3rd/long.

++Football I.Q. Appears to know where everyone on the field needs/should be. Is a pre and post snap QB. Can change a play before the ball is snapped and during a play with head/shoulder or pump fake, holding a S/LB with his eyes and scanning the field.

At times looks like a machine where everything is working together. Feet/legs, core and eyes all throwing as one.

Very good accuracy for the most part considering his age.

Isn't afraid the "big stage" or "spotlight". Welcomes the challenge.

Weakness
Overall mechanics need some tweaking like his footwork but his delivery is way too long. Too often he shoots from hips. When the ball the set, he fires it out but it takes far too long.

Thinks he can throw through defenders at times.

At times accuracy becomes an issue on passes that should be routine.

Has to show hes not a one year flash and follow up with with improvements, even if small.

My Take
Overall Darnold looks like a great QB prospect. He's poised in pocket but always moving, ready to fire away. Is sharp in the red zone and 3rd/long. And has legit arm talent. On top of that, the praise about his hard work appears factual and shows through his football i.q. on the field. His mechanics definitely need tweaking, mainly his delivery but its fixable. Darnold is still very young and would be a 21 year old rookie. His sample size is small but extremely impressive. If he improves, even slightly, overall. He'll be a top 5 pick if he comes out.

2) JOSH ALLEN

Last edited:
RUNNING BACKS TIER 1

RUSH TIER 1

1) ARDEN KEY

Background
From Atlanta, Georgia and went to high school at Union City (GA) Naperville Charter.
Decided to go to LSU over South Carolina.
Recently took some time away from football but is apparently back on track and up to 255lbs from 240. Was suspended for Texas A&M game last year.

Strengths

6'6/255, up from 240. Tall, long frame that can be molded. Long arms and knows how to use them.

++Get off. Very nice burst and eats up yards with long strides. Like many other good pass rushers will win by step 3

At times plays with great technique. Keeping his hands high, sinking his hips to help create speed to power.

+Football I.Q. Will use a fake/jab step inside to win the edge when he sees his man cheating and vice versa if his man is playing too far outside

Shows very good bend/get flat, ability to dip, Rip move, club/rip and hesitation moves to get to the QB.

Looks like a future backside pursuit defender. Doesn't give up on any plays and shows + motor.

Teams recognize the threat he is and will double, chip, put bodies in front of him and do what they can to prevent him from rushing comfortably.

Weakness
Has to get life together off the field.

Has to keep weight on and play at high, consistent level.

Add to pass rush moves and develop hands. Hands need to get stronger.

Run game could use improvement but he'll likely be a weakside chanse defender and already flashes there.

Plays with good functional but comes up too high on occasion when contacted.

My Take
Off the field its obvious Key has to get his life together but on the field hes a menace and only 21. He combines raw talent with glimpses of a mature pass rusher at a very young age. His body needs work but his frame is very impressive. Adding weight will only help his rip move, play in the run game and ability to be a better overall player. If he can effectively add weight and keep his play at a high level hes a sure fire top ten pick.

Bradley Chubb - *Patriot Type Player*

Background
From Marietta, Georgia
Father & brother played for Georgia and Wake Forest. Cousin, Nick playing for Georgia right now.
Major is Sociology
57 (33 solo-24) TKL, 21.5 TFL, 10 SACKS, 3 FF, 7 QB Hurries, 1 PBU Last year. Was given 2&3 rd grade in 2017 draft.

Strengths
6'4/275 Very Nice build that is "thick throughout". Could add a few lbs but def has the build you look for. Squaty, Sturdy come to mind. Long arms.

++ Very nice burst off. Esp when he's allowed to just attack. Good quicks there and makes it a point to get into his space/gap quicker than his opp.

+ Dip/rip. Has the power to put an Olinemen behind him after his initial burst.

+ Shows some nice lower half bend.

+ Closing speed

+ Bull RUSH. Burst, will put hands inside opp's chest and extend.

+ Motor, hands & effort. He's a fighter. Gets it done. Uses long arms to fight through the muck.

Has the quicks to beat linemen & shoot inside.

Lines up wide, dropped into coverage

Very nice run defender.
Can hold his ground in run game & contain. Can stack & shed. Loves getting into the backfield. Will chase downfield.
Uses long arms & inside hands to hold up.

Shows good awareness and plays smart. Understands what's in front of him in terms of blocking assignments & knows how to combat them.

Shows good leadership type skills off the field. Watching film and in the weight room. Talks up teammates in practice and weight room.

Weaknesses
At times Chubb shows off a spin, I'd love to see more of it. D.C.'s want options everywhere and adding counter(s) will only help. A spin would really put his pass rush arsenal over the top.

Stronger base & lower half. Sometimes weight lifting is over rated but not if you play on the line imho. Chubbs a very well rounded player but even slight improvements would help his game in a huge way.

My Take
Chubb is a great prospect. He's a very good all around defender that improved each year. Small improvements in pass rush (counter) & stronger lower half will go a long way with him getting into the 1st rd. He's an NFL player though.

Last edited:
DEFENSIVE LINE TIER 1

OFFENSIVE TACKLE TIER 1

CORNERBACK TIER 1

OFFENSIVE GUARD TIER 1

LINEBACKER TIER 1

WIDE RECEIVER TIER 1

CENTER TIER 1

SAFETY TIER 1

TIGHT END TIER 1

Will add more after work. I'll be adding more after work. Any names not there I'll add.

QUARTERBACKS TIER 2

RUNNING BACKS TIER 2

RUSH TIER 2

Josh Sweat

Background

Successful knee surgery in 2016 for cartilage damage.Suffered serious knee injury his senior year in high school with a dislocation and torn ACL. A lingering finger injury has plagued him since freshman year.

Strengths

NFL Frame with ability to add weight. 6'5/250 carries it well. Long arms.

Decent-Good burst.

Everything starts with his arms. Looks to get them inside & press, underneath opponents pads or inside shoulder. Uses hands & arms to fight through blocks & disengage. Better in space than in the trenches.

Has good, natural power when he rolls and explodes through his hips to punch or take on blockers in the run game

Doesn't sell out and plays rpo fairly well, contain.

Weaknesses

Lack of moves, counters hurts. Almost exclusively runs the loop and offers no inside rush or counters.

Not an explosive athlete

Has to get stronger in his lower half to be effective in the run game at next level. And so he can challenge QB'S inside.

At times look stuck in mud

My Take
Sweat has a great body to work with but it's clear the knee injuries have taken some toll. It's unclear how much of a final product he is bc of that. Even still he needs add some counters to pass rush. He's d.o.a. when he gets redirected or ends up inside. I'd like to see him use his hands more attacking rather than fighting to get off a block. Some snatch/grab, push/pull. Club/rip. Counters and lower body strength.

Last edited:
DEFENSIVE LINE TIER 2

CORNERBACKS TIER 2

LINEBACKERS TIER 2

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back