PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2018 DRAFT QB THREAD

We've seen this play in numerous variations the past few years. Particularly in play action where we have the G pull to sell the run

Sam Darnold

Background
  • Born June 5th, 1997 (20). From Capistrano Beach, California.
  • Comes from extremely athletic family. From his sister who played volleyball to his grandfather, **** Hammer. Who acted (former Marlboro Man) & played volleyball & basketball. Sam's father played football as well in college.
  • High School - Sam started playing basketball at 5, played in high school & was good enough for one coach to say he would have had a scholarship to college if he focused on just that - Played football in high school. LB, WR & eventually excelled at QB. SR year throwing for over 3000 yards & rushing for 800 yards. Passing for 39 & running for 13.
  • Has USC tradition in his family & it's clear he loves the school.
  • Took a redshirt in 2015. Broke out 2016 throwing for 3086 yds, 67.2 cmp%, 161.1 rtg, 31 TD/8 INT. Rushing for 250 & 2 TD’S. Followed by a 63.1 cmp%, 4,143 yds, 26 TD/13 INT 148.1 rtg. Rushing for 82 & 5 TD’S.
Strengths
  • Very Good Size, H/W proportioned at 6’4/220.
  • Pre-snap - Will audible, recognize coverage & adjust to take advantage, either big chunks deep or safe yards. Quick strikes from studying DB’S tendencies & will take advantage w/ audible. See’s the big picture of what the defense is trying to hide. Post-snap - Will look off & hold S’s, Move LB’s out of the box. Gives shoulder, head pump fakes to move defenders. Knows where everyone is (Esp his WR’S) or should be, including the other team. Ran tons of R.P.O.’S in which he demonstrated ability to hurt a defense Pre/Post snap & take advantage on the ground or through air. Very good play action.
  • Arm Talent. Has real strength, touch, accuracy. Will adjust velocity speed if needed on certain passes. At times shows special touch, placement & throws a “Bend it like Beckham” ball where he fits it's in impossible windows.
  • Can work all 3 levels but shows great promise in the short/intermediate game where he can fire out quick, accurate strikes. Shows consistent touch & good placement on deep passes to. Hits sidelines & m.o.f. w/ nice anticipation.
  • Playmaker - Taking advantage of the defense pre-snap, scrambling & making a play, rushing etc Darnold is a playmaker. Doesn't need perfect platform to make accurate passes. Might not “rushing QB” but def at the next level but can def pick up easy, unaccounted for yards.
  • Shows very good poise & awareness. Isn't afraid of the big stage. Doesn't panic. Will scramble while eyes look for a play. Will side set & step up to avoid pressure.
  • Understands importance of situational football. Very good in the red zone & 3rd down.
  • Looks like a natural leader out there & it shows w/ other players around him. Commands huddle & stands ground in the pocket.
Concerns

• Footwork is probably his biggest flaw although many will point to his delivery. It all starts with your feet & Darnolds are really bad at times. There are plenty of throws where he's feet are extended out like a jumping jack & he's parallel to the l.o.s. , times where he's almost off the ground throwing & times where his feet aren't pointed at his target. He's made incredible throws w/ terrible footwork but NFL players are too good.
  • Throwing motion is Leftwich-like. Shoots from the hip & result is elongated delivery. Ball shoots out quick once he's set but it's not ideal & NFL athletes will touch some passes as a result. WR’S would probably adjust & come back for some passes. Muscle memory has to be altered but it's possible. Doesn't have to be drastic, just a little tweak would help a lot.
  • Thinks he can throw through some defenders. At times decision making is questionable, accuracy takes a hit & results are too many turnovers.
Summary
As QB prospects goes Darnold is intriguing ad it gets. He has the intangibles, arm talent & playmaking skills to be a franchise QB. Only 20, Darnold has been making jaw dropping throws & commanding his offense since 19. His potential is scary if cleans up his footwork & tweaks his delivery. I believe he'll learn to trust his teammates & is smart enough to understand he can't win every game by himself. Take the safe stuff, what the defense gives you or throw it away. Ideally the USC product sits for a year or two to work on his very few flaws. He's worth the wait & investment of lottery pick.

Pro comp, cross between Andrew Luck & Carson Palmer.

Last edited:
Sam Darnold - Traits That Translate

Darnold & White (page3) are/will be up in a min.

White def didn't help himself today. Stuck in quicksand is how I described him at times & his sluggish footwork/feet showed today.

Well, Josh Allen arm is scarily strong. Haven't seen someone throw a ball like that before. Just hope he gets drafted somewhere where they can develop him

I like him a lot, he was my initial favourite QB for New England in the class. But he's been surpassed by Logan Woodside. If we ended up with any of Woodside, Falk, Lauletta, Jackson or even, to a lesser extent, Mike White, I'd be thrilled

Literally just posted the same.

I could live with White on day 3 but his lower half reminds me if Mallet.

I think Jackson in 1 & defense in round 2 would be my ideal draft.

Maybe Jackson, Ejiofor, DL/DB ?

Lamar Jackson & The New England Patriots make sense.

A few months ago (on patsfans) I threw out the idea that Lamar Jackson would be a hell of a reason to entice Josh McDaniels to stay. Not only would we have our future coach, but our future H.C. would have a QB that epitomizes todays spread/r.p.o. offensive game. Waiting, watching, training, absorbing. And with the recent events over the past few weeks & months this went from a fun idea to throw out there, to a real possibility.

Assuming the obvious for a moment. Josh, Bill, Kraft all met, talked over the past week & hammered out a real succession plan for a Post-Bill Belichick Patriots. I'm reading between the lines here but it sounds like Bill will retire, move on from New England within a few (2-3) years & Josh will take over. Now Brady could still be playing but the end will be visible by then. Enter one of the most the exciting, dynamic young Quarterbacks to come out of college in the last 20 years, Lamar Jackson. And yes he's absolutely a Quarterback. Let's dismiss that nonsense from the start. Those of that opinion haven’t watched Jackson or other issues going on.

Jackson, from Pompano Beach, Florida. Has been preparing for this challenge since 6 years old. And I mean that in every sense of the word. Jackson's mother Felicia Jones got him working with a trainer from age 6-high school. She saw, even at a young age. Jackson was a special talent. And has helped him every step of way as much as she could. She did so quietly, keeping the focus on Lamar. That doesn't mean everything has been easy for him. Quite the contrary, people have been doubting him the entire time. Even as we speak.

Jackson played QB high school for 2 years. Throwing for 22 TD’s & rushing for 31. He had plenty of offers of college but some wanted him to change positions. Some didn't guarantee he’d start in the future. Most weren't all in on Jackson. After showcasing his arm in highlight tapes for college, Jacksons familiarity w/ the pistol, a fellow Floridian in Lamar Thomas introducing Petrino to Jackson. Lamar ended up deciding on Louisville. He struggled at first. He wasn't comfortable under center. The playbook was like a different language. A lot of people in the area & familiar w/ Petrino’s offense doubted him picking up the system. He was 18, just started playing the position 2 years prior & a long away from home. What did he do?

He studied opponents tendencies, his own flaws on film. He used virtual technology to help decipher coverages. Coaches forced him to stay in the pocket & blew the play dead when/if he tried to run in practice. He developed relationships w/ teammates, impressed coaches, took his weaknesses head on. The results have been a tremendous success at Louisville.
Jackson is only 21 & has some obvious flaws he has to correct. That said if this player gets w/ a good coaching staff that gives him the proper development he deserves, the results on his NFL career could be staggering.

And I would argue there's no better place to land than right here in New England. McDaniels would have his muse to mold & train. Jackson could sit and learn behind Brady in his final years. Imagine a 24-25 y/o Jackson with an extra 10-12 lbs of muscle on his frame at 6’3/225-ish. Watching Brady perform, practice & train. Being coached by Bill, Josh & co. Jackson would see H.O.F. coaches & players “do”, “show”, “tell” the game from a 3 person p.o.v. while honing in on his craft. For any player that would be special. This player has an arm cannon, accuracy, poise, a sub 4.4 & ridiculous agility? Imagine what Josh & Jackson could do in the spread/r.p.o. game?

Jackson might not strike you as a P-TP (Patriot-Type Player) but he absolutely is. Jackson ran the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system & the pistol at Louisville.

We've seen this play in numerous variations the past few years. Particularly in play action where we have the G pull to sell the run

He's extremely hard working & bright. The possibilities between a coached up Lamar & Josh are endless. Hes 21, he can sit, learn & still have a long, productive career. He welcomes a challenge & isn't afraid of hard work. His skills are literally video game-like.You simply don't have many people on earth who can do what he does. And I'm not only talking about the flashy stuff. He's much more than that. As a player & person.

Last edited:
Lamar Jackson & The New England Patriots make sense.

A few months ago (on patsfans) I threw out the idea that Lamar Jackson would be a hell of a reason to entice Josh McDaniels to stay. Not only would we have our future coach, but our future H.C. would have a QB that epitomizes todays spread/r.p.o. offensive game. Waiting, watching, training, absorbing. And with the recent events over the past few weeks & months this went from a fun idea to throw out there, to a real possibility.

Assuming the obvious for a moment. Josh, Bill, Kraft all met, talked over the past week & hammered out a real succession plan for a Post-Bill Belichick Patriots. I'm reading between the lines here but it sounds like Bill will retire, move on from New England within a few (2-3) years & Josh will take over. Now Brady could still be playing but the end will be visible by then. Enter one of the most the exciting, dynamic young Quarterbacks to come out of college in the last 20 years, Lamar Jackson. And yes he's absolutely a Quarterback. Let's dismiss that nonsense from the start. Those of that opinion haven’t watched Jackson or other issues going on.

Jackson, from Pompano Beach, Florida. Has been preparing for this challenge since 6 years old. And I mean that in every sense of the word. Jackson's mother Felicia Jones got him working with a trainer from age 6-high school. She saw, even at a young age. Jackson was a special talent. And has helped him every step of way as much as she could. She did so quietly, keeping the focus on Lamar. That doesn't mean everything has been easy for him. Quite the contrary, people have been doubting him the entire time. Even as we speak.

Jackson played QB high school for 2 years. Throwing for 22 TD’s & rushing for 31. He had plenty of offers of college but some wanted him to change positions. Some didn't guarantee he’d start in the future. Most weren't all in on Jackson. After showcasing his arm in highlight tapes for college, Jacksons familiarity w/ the pistol, a fellow Floridian in Lamar Thomas introducing Petrino to Jackson. Lamar ended up deciding on Louisville. He struggled at first. He wasn't comfortable under center. The playbook was like a different language. A lot of people in the area & familiar w/ Petrino’s offense doubted him picking up the system. He was 18, just started playing the position 2 years prior & a long away from home. What did he do?

He studied opponents tendencies, his own flaws on film. He used virtual technology to help decipher coverages. Coaches forced him to stay in the pocket & blew the play dead when/if he tried to run in practice. He developed relationships w/ teammates, impressed coaches, took his weaknesses head on. The results have been a tremendous success at Louisville.
Jackson is only 21 & has some obvious flaws he has to correct. That said if this player gets w/ a good coaching staff that gives him the proper development he deserves, the results on his NFL career could be staggering.

And I would argue there's no better place to land than right here in New England. McDaniels would have his muse to mold & train. Jackson could sit and learn behind Brady in his final years. Imagine a 24-25 y/o Jackson with an extra 10-12 lbs of muscle on his frame at 6’3/225-ish. Watching Brady perform, practice & train. Being coached by Bill, Josh & co. Jackson would see H.O.F. coaches & players “do”, “show”, “tell” the game from a 3 person p.o.v. while honing in on his craft. For any player that would be special. This player has an arm cannon, accuracy, poise, a sub 4.4 & ridiculous agility? Imagine what Josh & Jackson could do in the spread/r.p.o. game?

Jackson might not strike you as a P-TP (Patriot-Type Player) but he absolutely is. Jackson ran the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system & the pistol at Louisville.

He's extremely hard working & bright. The possibilities between a coached up Lamar & Josh are endless. Hes 21, he can sit, learn & still have a long, productive career. He welcomes a challenge & isn't afraid of hard work. His skills are literally video game-like.You simply don't have many people on earth who can do what he does. And I'm not only talking about the flashy stuff. He's much more than that. As a player & person.

I am all in on Lamar Jackson. I think me and you are probs his biggest fans here.

The Thing that i like the most about him is despite his arm strength i feel it can be even stronger once he gets his fundamentals set, such as his footwork as well. Another interesting point is, he uses his eyes to sell the safeties, i will try and find the clip of this, and it was a very good touch pass as well. Reminded me of Brady to Cooks against the Texans.

I'm also glad he didn't run yesterday, all of this talk of him being a running QB is a load of rubbish. The guy can legit ball.

Round-1 will be Defensive.
Round-2 thru Round-4 will have our QB.

With Chad Kanoff from Princeton being thrown out there by Mike Reiss, does anyone know anything about him?

With Chad Kanoff from Princeton being thrown out there by Mike Reiss, does anyone know anything about him?

Good placement & accuracy at times but arm strength is pretty bad tbh. Firmly behind the big 8-10 guys. Maybe a late round flyer?

Logan Woodside - Patriot-Type Player - Toledo - QB - 6'1/213

Traits That Translate

FWIW, I'm guessing that QB2 @ 31 is basically out of the question at this point. . . .

FWIW, I'm guessing that QB2 @ 31 is basically out of the question at this point. . . .

I think Jackson, maybe Rudolph would be guys they would take or it would be a hard pass.

Solid case either way.

Continue to build around Brady. If that's the case I would expect a trade or a established player, trade up etc

Or take advantage of a deep QB group & grab a Jackson or Rudolph who might normally go top 10-15 of not for top heavy class.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back