PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

best quote EVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

see dan drive

Rookie
Reaction score
This is from Cafardo's Globe article, and though Hobbs is specifically saying this about Artrell Hawkins, it totally applies to himself as well....it's the reason he's a starter now, and he's gonna be good.

Quote:
"Most people think he wouldn't be that physical but he's one of those guys. But he doesn't have size and a physical stature. He has more of a willingness. That's all it comes down to. Either you want it or you don't. That's what this game is about, especially on defense."

Last edited:
see dan drive said:
This is from Cafardo's Globe article, and though Hobbs is specifically saying this about Artrell Hawkins, it totally applies to himself as well....it's the reason he's a starter now, and he's gonna be good.

Quote:
"Most people think he wouldn't be that physical but he's one of those guys. But he doesn't have size and a physical stature. He has more of a willingness. That's all it comes down to. Either you want it or you don't. That's what this game is about, especially on defense."

People point to Bruschi's return as the changing point for our defense. But I think that Ellis Hobbs' being inserted at nearly the same juncture has alot to do with it as well. The guy just has that right attitude.

People got miffed at his celebrating, but my thought was 'hey, wake up, he actually MADE A FRICKIN PLAY!' While all our CBs all season were running around trying desperately just to stay close enough to WRs to even make a tackle Ellis is bucking up in there and knocking balls out. He leads the team in INTs and he's started what, four or five games?

The guy brings that aggressive nastiness that none of the other DBs have supplied in Rodney's absense. It is truly nice to see a guy that doesn't play so damn soft. Early in the year Asante looked better because he was across from Starks, now across from Ellis I've honestly thought that Asante has looked putrid. The guy is the textbook definition of soft. He plays too far off, never gets into the WRs body, doesn't make plays on the ball even when he does end up close enough to get a hand in. The guy is playing awful. Basically all he's done is make tackles after allowing a catch.

Guys might point to Asante's big hits early in the season, and yeah those plays weren't soft.. but I'd take a guy that leaves out the huge hits and actually makes plays to stop drives. A couple of Asante's big hits that he actually celebrated were on plays that had ALREADY NETTED A FIRST DOWN.

Ellis seems to be the real deal. While it is too early for canton, it's easy right now to say that he's our best CB bar none. If he gets injured, PRAY for that secondary, because to me he is irreplaceable considering what we've already lost.

see dan drive said:

Quote:

It's an attitude that's contagious, just like Stark's "bull-fighter" approach was. Hopefully, these guys can lock it in before they play the big boys.

It's easy to pick on Asante because he's been playing "too far off", but he's been primarily covering the other teams' best receiver and trying not to give up the Big Play. During the middle stretch of the season, the Pats knew that any "over the top" help was iffy and they were trying to keep the play in front of them. I think you'll see Asante's play improve once Hawkins becomes more reliable. He's got some ball skills too. He's not as strong as Hobbs, but he is fearless as a hitter and rarely gets beat deep. Like Hobbs and Hawkins, he's got the "willingness".

I've always thought a key to the Pats D has been tackling. You can really measure it -- you go by what your eyes say. And that has to do with technique, but also with attitude.

Just look at KC sticking the hands out against Tiki Barber last week to see what a difference it makes.

Or consider how the Broncos did not tackle Indy last year, and then on the first series, third down, Gay comes off his man up on Marcus Pollard and takes him right down behind the first down -- a key statement early.

Bertil said:
It's easy to pick on Asante because he's been playing "too far off", but he's been primarily covering the other teams' best receiver and trying not to give up the Big Play. During the middle stretch of the season, the Pats knew that any "over the top" help was iffy and they were trying to keep the play in front of them. I think you'll see Asante's play improve once Hawkins becomes more reliable. He's got some ball skills too. He's not as strong as Hobbs, but he is fearless as a hitter and rarely gets beat deep. Like Hobbs and Hawkins, he's got the "willingness".

Absolutely right. When you line up on the #1 receiver, the QB's go to guy, press coverage risks the big play. I love Hobbs, I love his attitude, but I can't disrespect Asante for 'playing soft.' In any case, where he lines up, how far he is from the receiver at the line of scrimmage, is not his decision.

Last year, Asante was a tough playmaker. He's the same guy this year, but his situation is different. Geno and Rodney were the best safety tandem in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back