zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I would rank them like this:

1. Ronnie Brown
2. Laurence Maroney
3. Willis McGahee
4. Leon Washington

NOt sure where I would put Corey though.

I think it's a reasonable debate between McGahee and Brown. Personally, I think McGahee is the top back in the East right now.

Maroney has a lot to prove still.

McGahee has a career average under 4 YPC and he couldn't top 1000 yards this year despite playing in 14 games and being Buffalo's featured back.

And he is so good that word is Buffalo is looking to dump him.

Brown topped 1000 yards rushing while playing in 13 games, and averaged over 4 YPC. Brown also had about 100 more yards receiving than McGahee.

I agree Maroney still has some to prove but he had a higher YPC average than Maroney and was a demon at times. I think his inconsistency had to do with his injury as well as him being worn out from the longer season here than in college. He has to prove that he can consistently be as good as he showed he was at times. But really, I think McGahee is somewhat overrated.

I'd say ask again next year in terms of Maroney. He had a great season inspite of injury & inexperience & an offensive line that was just starting to adopt a blocking scheme to benefit him. I think he'll be a beast next season.

Last edited:
I just don't see how you can say it is Maroney as of right now. It is wishful thinking and not reality as of yet. He hasn't proven anything as of yet. Brown is a very good back and I do not believe what anybody has posted about McGahee being dumped. While McGahee had a down year, try looking at the Oline and QB.

I just don't see how you can say it is Maroney as of right now. It is wishful thinking and not reality as of yet. He hasn't proven anything as of yet. Brown is a very good back and I do not believe what anybody has posted about McGahee being dumped. While McGahee had a down year, try looking at the Oline and QB.

I agree with Digger on this one. I hope Maroney should produce at the number 1 spot on the list, but as of right now, McGahee and Brown are the proven performers. Only the merry-go-round backfield of the Jets gets Maroney to number 3, since he is in a split-carries situation as well.

Don't know what to say about Corey either, other than that he was the better back than Maroney in 06, statistically. I don't know that you can say that going forward, duh, because he's got a limited number of starts left in him. I'd say especially in this division, with two out of four backfields being split, really it would make more sense to simply rate the "running game" of each team.

And really, that's all I want for the Pats, the best running game, not the best individual back.

PFnV

I agree with Digger on this one. I hope Maroney should produce at the number 1 spot on the list, but as of right now, McGahee and Brown are the proven performers. Only the merry-go-round backfield of the Jets gets Maroney to number 3, since he is in a split-carries situation as well.

Don't know what to say about Corey either, other than that he was the better back than Maroney in 06, statistically. I don't know that you can say that going forward, duh, because he's got a limited number of starts left in him. I'd say especially in this division, with two out of four backfields being split, really it would make more sense to simply rate the "running game" of each team.

And really, that's all I want for the Pats, the best running game, not the best individual back.

PFnV

You can certainly argue the order. The only thing I feel strongly about is that Brown is the best in the division. He has been really underused in Miami. I don't get why you would spend the number 3 pick or whatever they did on him and not use him as the workhorse of the offense.

At times Maroney has looked stellar but he has been inconsistent, but he does have a higher YPC than McGahee.

If he can always be as good as he has looked he will be the best back in the division no problem.

Last edited:
I would rank them like this:

1. Ronnie Brown
2. Laurence Maroney
3. Willis McGahee
4. Leon Washington

NOt sure where I would put Corey though.

I think until Lawrence Maroney gets some more carries you would be prejudging him to say he was either a good back or not.. Personally I feel his numbers and consistency were hurt by the splitting time with Dillon(which was necessary).

But there is a reason you didn't see Belichick switching out Bledsoe and Brady in the '01 season when Bledsoe was healthy again. Give Maroney more carries and see what he's capable of, then next season we'll know how good he is or isn't.

I don't get why you would spend the number 3 pick or whatever they did on him and not use him as the workhorse of the offense.

At times Maroney has looked stellar but he has been inconsistent, but he does have a higher YPC than McGahee.

1. Saban was an idiot.
2. The Oline is bad and Brown woul dhave gotten killed. He got beat up pretty good this year.
3. Saban was an idiot.

I am not too worrieb about YPC when the Olines are so bad. That will fix itself for both players with some new additions.

If Cameron can get the focus off of Culpepper/Harrington and put it on Brown/Rickey and have a run first type offense then the Phins could be very competitive. The do have some solid offensive players who nobody has used correclty.

1.Willis McGahee
2.Corey Dillion
3.Ronnie Brown
4.Leon Washington
5.Laurence Maroney

McGahee

Maroney

Brown

Washington

1.Willis McGahee
2.Corey Dillion
3.Ronnie Brown
4.Leon Washington
5.Laurence Maroney

Oh would you PLEASE. Good Lord. You're right - Maroney BLOWS. Take a breath.

There's no way you can put Maroney in the top 2 yet. That'd just be utter bias. I'd put Brown over McGahee as well.

Oh would you PLEASE. Good Lord. You're right - Maroney BLOWS. Take a breath.

???

hahaha the guy jsut got off his rookie year, I love maroney belive it or not but he didnt do much in the second half of the season, if he had kept playing like he was in the first he would probably be number, and a sure pick over any jet running back

relax

is this supposed to be our prediction for next yr?
or how they are today?

so far:
1 ronnie brown
2 mcgahee
3 maroney
4 dillon
5 leon washington
6 cedric houston
7 sammy morris
8 a train
9 kevin faulk

my prediction for next yr:
1 ronnie brown
2 maroney
3 mcgahee
the rest im not gonna say cuz of offseason acquisitions that have yet to be made

1.Willis McGahee
2.Corey Dillion
3.Ronnie Brown
4.Leon Washington
5.Laurence Maroney

Dillon, Dillon, Dillon, Dillon, Dillon -- please!!!!

???

hahaha the guy jsut got off his rookie year, I love maroney belive it or not but he didnt do much in the second half of the season.

Even acknowledging Maroney's 2nd half dip, it is patently ridiculous to put him LAST on that list, behind the jets 3rd down back.

Even acknowledging Maroney's 2nd half dip, it is patently ridiculous to put him LAST on that list, behind the jets 3rd down back.

ok take washington out of the run and maroney is still last... I dont see how he cant be. I acutally thought washington was underrated this year. Maybe its a tie between them but I would still give it to washington

lets be real guys..Maroney has 1 year under his belt

1. Ronnie Brown
2. Willis McGahee
3. Laurence Maroney
4. Barlow/Washington

1 and 2 are pretty close

There's no way you can put Maroney in the top 2 yet. That'd just be utter bias. I'd put Brown over McGahee as well.
You want a simple method to see who you think is the better back? Just ask yourself if you would trade one for the other. So MaGahee is a better back than Maroney? You would trade Maroney for MaGahee straight up?

I wouldn't. I think Maroney is the better back.

I would trade Maroney for Brown, though, and if I had Leon Washington I'd trade for any of the other three.

So I guess for me the original poster's list was dead on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes